The New Retail Thread

Roman historian Seneca discusses what makes for the greatest form of death in the gladiatorial arena: "For death, when it stands near us, gives even to inexperienced men the courage not to seek to avoid the inevitable. So the gladiator, no matter how faint-hearted he has been throughout the fight, offers his throat to his opponent and directs the wavering blade to the vital spot."

Your reaction to this quote today is likely how this hamburger discussion will be perceived a few thousand years from now.

Let me make sure I understand you: You're saying that my personal opinion of your Seneca quote is likely the same as our descendants' opinion on hamburgers? Gee, I never figured they'd have such an opinion on hamburgers as "How utterly non-germaine to the topic we're discussing" as Seneca is to burger joints.

Or do you mean to presume that I will be so horrified at the notion of gladiators, long since dead (regardless of the outcome of their fights, mind you) resigning themselves to their inevitable fate that I will recoil at the mere mention of the blood lust of the Senate and People of Rome, and thus validate your obvious aversion to meat?

As a Roman history buff and son of a livestock farmer, as someone who's held dying calves in his arms and eaten cattle he's personally named, I giddily call your bluff.

post-66198-0-46936200-1301536289.png

Shake Shack=Crispy Kreme

There I said it.

Look into the explosive growth and collapse in Cripsy Kreme's popularity and number of franchises. That was my intended comparison.

Look into the explosive growth and collapse in Cripsy Kreme's popularity and number of franchises. That was my intended comparison.

I still don't get the analogy. Krispy Kreme today as approximately 700 stores worldwide. Shake Shack has less than 20 locations after being in business nearly a decade. I don't know what Shake Shack's ultimate expansion plans are but for the moment, it's way too premature to put their growth in the same sentence as Krispy Kreme's. I'd also reiterate that hamburgers are meals that many folks can justify eating frequently and doughnuts are special treats that the average person won't indulge in too often. Apples and oranges.

more like donuts and hamburgers /rimshot

can we please end this tangent now?

On a side not, slate had a pretty positive take on the walgreens concept in DC. I will be interested to check it out. It's still a drugstore, but from what I hear it will be a great hit in DTX, having fresh fruit, alcohol and other staples and unique services.

more like donuts and hamburgers /rimshot

can we please end this tangent now?

On a side not, slate had a pretty positive take on the walgreens concept in DC. I will be interested to check it out. It's still a drugstore, but from what I hear it will be a great hit in DTX, having fresh fruit, alcohol and other staples and unique services.

A pharmacy in Massachusetts with alcohol? The mind boggles.

That said, is it me, or are there no good local places for a burger and shake? Always just chains it seems. Maybe I'm just not into that scene enough to know.

I really enjoy Flat Patties over Harvard Square way. I would go there for most of my site visits. You can get a shake, but I never have. Mostly because I can only pollute my body so much in a single sitting. Love the double cheese burgers there though.

I did just try 5 Guys again in DTX, and found it to be much improved over the time I stopped in Hanover for it. Still way to much money for basically fast food.

Edit. realize BosDevelop beat me to it.

Well with two recommendations for Flat Patties, I just have to try it! Thanks guys. :)

(And I'll try UBurger at some point, as well, now that I know it's a Boloco-esque chain. Thanks, Data.)

Well with two recommendations for Flat Patties, I just have to try it! Thanks guys. :)

(And I'll try UBurger at some point, as well, now that I know it's a Boloco-esque chain. Thanks, Data.)

I prefer Four Burgers to UBurger. They're local and kind of a chain (two locations, Central Square and Boston Common).

Get the beef burger on white medium rare with smoked gouda and caramelized onions and a small half-and-half side.

**Edit: I forgot about the DTX thread. Maybe move this post there? Thanks.**

Great news, the pushcart vendors will stay at least until the end of the year:
http://bostonglobe.com/business/201...w-locations/mPACMpciOd6nUchzdtxJmJ/story.html

547400_10151385058525679_461895280_n.jpg

The ones in front of Filene's will need to find new locations though because of construction.

**Edit: I forgot about the DTX thread. Maybe move this post there? Thanks.**

Kartell closed in Back Bay but has opened on Mass Ave Cambridge in the new blue glass box that is a beloved punching bag here.

I was just in Chicago and was so astounded by the fact that a CVS there had a liquor section I had to take a photo. All the while, I was thinking, "Where am I? This would never happen in Toronto or Boston." Lo and behold...

It makes sense, when you think about it. You can get your beer and wine for Saturday... and your Gatorade and ibuprofen for Sunday all in one place.

I think a small number of CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid in Massachusetts may have liquor licenses. Until recently, no single owner (person or corporation) could own more than three liquor licenses statewide. The cap is being slowly raised but I don't remember what it is right now.

Don't we already have hundreds of Dunkin' Donuts for that?

We have Taco Bell for that already.......

I think a small number of CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid in Massachusetts may have liquor licenses. Until recently, no single owner (person or corporation) could own more than three liquor licenses statewide. The cap is being slowly raised but I don't remember what it is right now.

I am not saying we should allow every single store to sell alcohol, but the fact that Super Market chains are so limited in the number of stores that can sell beer and wine is a bit ridiculous.

Back