The New Retail Thread

Cross post from Assembly Row thread:

The movie theater is opening tonight.

Assembly Row at Assembly Square
30 mins · Boston, MA ·

AMC Assembly Row 12 is officially open! Come see all the new movies at the grand opening tonight. AMC will be giving away 2,000 AMC Stubs memberships or renewals (a $12 annual value) starting today through May 3!

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-assembly-row-12

WOW, so this must mean the Dunker & Donahue Garage is closing. Not sure how I feel about that--it's been such a convenient place to grab a Zipcar (not that I use them anymore, but still).

The flagship Newbury Store here begs the question, then: who is going to move into the old Newbury Best Buy site?!?!?!

Above Urban Outfitters, the BAC has not renewed it's lease after renting the top three floors of 100 Mass Ave for over a decade. There has been a lot of turnover of some steadfast tenants at this end of Newbury in the past few years.

I don't think the garage is closing; those spaces are individually owned I think (car condos). The space in question is the first-floor retail, isn't it? Isn't that where Forever 21 was/is?

I don't think the garage is closing; those spaces are individually owned I think (car condos). The space in question is the first-floor retail, isn't it? Isn't that where Forever 21 was/is?

Uniglo is going into the first two floors of the garage. Upper levels will remain parking. Forever 21 is next door... Not the same building.

Uniglo is going into the first two floors of the garage. Upper levels will remain parking. Forever 21 is next door... Not the same building.

I don't see how that will work. Pretty much the entire front is the garage entrance. Do you have a source? Everything I'm reading is saying this location will be the flagship, so four or five floors of retail isn't unheard of.

At the same time, I'm wondering if the address is a typo. Not a single source mentions Danker & Donohue, including the Back Bay patch. You'd think it closing would get at least blurb of text.

Last edited:
I don't see how that will work. Pretty much the entire front is the garage entrance. Do you have a source? Everything I'm reading is saying this location will be the flagship, so four or five floors of retail isn't unheard of.

At the same time, I'm wondering if the address is a typo. Not a single source mentions Danker & Donohue, including the Back Bay patch. You'd think it closing would get at least blurb of text.

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2012/07/garage_parking_shop_newbury_st_spots

Explains why I couldn't find it, that's from 2012 and I restricted my search to the past year. Still, if that's still the plan they are either going to have to run the parking operation out of the rear entrance in the alley, or this store is going to have a mighty small street presence. If they do run it out of the alley the people who live on Comm Ave are going to throw a fit.

The garage already has an entrance off the alley, and to get upstairs there are car elevators... So actually, the store could technically occupy floors 1 & 2, and the garage would have 3,4,5, and access from basement/alley entrance. Actually, this makes a lot of sense if you ask me.

Caffe Nero opened it's first USA location yesterday at Millennium Place:
10309590_718423138201572_4511860859819634627_n.jpg

As you can see, it has a better ground floor presence than Legal Crossing.

This leasing sign is massive and visible from hundreds of yards off:

14176991316_7e9927a6b2_b.jpg

14013496110_6e3714618f_b.jpg

And 699 Boylston:

14013457349_f9eeb54386_b.jpg

Ah, the happy hours I once spent browsing in Tower Records. The joys of coming home with a new CD. Those were the days.

I'm surprised they haven't converted the third floor to more condos.

What would I like to see? A relocated, reopened Other Side Cafe. (Change the name to This Side Cafe.)

Or maybe a temporary micro-Wegman's until the real one opens in the Fenway?

What would I like to see in the old Tower space? Eataly. Or Dean and Deluca.

Back