The New Retail Thread

A Bar Filled With Arcade Games Debuts Downtown

First "barcade" in Boston - seems a bit lame on the game list, but, will check it out after getting back from Italy this weekend.

I went opening night--it's fun. Cozy little space there above LaGrassa's. It was a $5 cover and unlimited play, none of the machines were coin-operated. I set the Ms. Pacman (upright, not the table version, although they have that as well) high score (139k), boy was that grueling.

8 to 10 classic 80s arcade games in the wing facing School St. Skeeball, the basketball game like they have a Sullivan's at North Station, and similar games in the wing facing Bromfield St.

In the center, the main bar: they have some excellent beers on tap and of the canned persuasion. The giant screen TVs at the main bar--3 or 4 of them--were set-up to let people play Madden NFL 2018 and games of that ilk. It's kind of weird to be nursing a beer and watching others play video game football right next to you. But then again, I'm very much an oldster when it comes to this stuff.

I certainly intend to keep returning if the upright Ms. Pacman prevailing high score becomes a duel...

The Frank Anthony's second location located behind 50 Liberty (underneath the stairs thing) -- has closed it appears.

The Frank Anthony's second location located behind 50 Liberty (underneath the stairs thing) -- has closed it appears.

I could be wrong, but I thought that it was intended to be seasonal? Did it seem it could be that way based on how it looked?

The Well Coffee Roasters on Washington (old Pret location next to Old State House) looks like it's going to open imminently. The paper is down from the windows and the space looks complete. Tables and chairs are setup, menus are up (even in chalk), utensils/napkins are laid out, etc. I'm sure there's a soft opening in the next few days since I haven't seen an announcement and there's nothing on their web page or social media. But I'm excited - this is an upgrade over Pret for sure.

They've redone Jillians- I'd say that's Boston's first barcade. It's much bigger and probably better than this. It's been revamped for a year or more

Ah, hadn't realized they brought back the arcades after taking them all out back in the day. I would argue though that 'barcade' is specific concept to retro 80s/90s/00s (and maybe some newer ones) vs say Dave and Busters or Jillians (although, I am assuming here - maybe they have a bunch of retro stuff).

Taco Bell is replacing the Subway at 74 Summer Street.

Obviously it's garbage, but I remember there being some discussion here a while back about it being weird that there's no Taco Bell downtown. Well, it's happening (cue the Ron Paul gif). And honestly, I don't hate the swap - crap for different crap.

Obviously it's garbage, but I remember there being some discussion here a while back about it being weird that there's no Taco Bell downtown. Well, it's happening (cue the Ron Paul gif). And honestly, I don't hate the swap - crap for different crap.

The BU Taco Bell is still missed.

RIP

Today is soft opening of new Trillium location in Fort Point. Went to check it out - looks pretty good but all tables were already taken, including roof deck.

Interesting. I predict that Taco Bell absolutely kills it day and night. Wonder how late it will stay open.

Interesting. I predict that Taco Bell absolutely kills it day and night. Wonder how late it will stay open.

I agree. I feel like it would have been even better over by Faneuil or somewhere where late night crowds might find themselves, but I don't doubt it'll do well.

The Commonwealth's recreational marijuana law should mandate that all dispensaries be located within 200 feet of a Taco Bell franchise (and vise-versa).

Last edited:

OH MY GOD YES. I, alone, might keep it in business late nights at the office.

Away Travel appears to be opening a shop next to Filson on Seaport Blvd. in the Seaport. They make fancy luggage.

Amrheins had a "closed til further notice" sign on the door on Friday night ..

Any rumors on retail at 121 Seaport? They have a ton to lease and with the Echelon coming online in the next 18 months, it doesn't look good that they have no signed tenants at this point.

Any rumors on retail at 121 Seaport? They have a ton to lease and with the Echelon coming online in the next 18 months, it doesn't look good that they have no signed tenants at this point.

Retail is in a tough place right now. These developments need bluechip retailers. No startup or mom & pop stores can start at the proposed leases rates at this point.

That's why a dive bar will never again be in the seaport, sadly.

Back