The New Retail Thread

Re: 1330 Boylston Street

No good burritos in NYC? That's surprising. I bet they have Chipotle's galore, though.

Anyway, the new sushi place sounds like a phail. Never trust chic, sexy, or trendy sushi.

Why can't stores end up staying in business on that block?

It's kind of dumpy, but bad only because there are too many empty storefronts.

The block's a little dirty - I walked it, yesterday, and had to get a tetanus shot.

Ron Newman said:
So what happened to Costello's?

Their lease was up at the end of 2006, and the owner was raising rent by a figure well north of 100%. They moved out that December, and the space remained vacant up until now.

JimboJones said:
Why can't stores end up staying in business on that block?

Everybody's raising their rents, and why not? Surely those starving artists with their deep pockets will appreciate having a gizmo store right there. Put a Citizen's Bank branch in the old Kay Bee furniture space, and wipe out all the walls between the defunct piano store and Looney Tunes (better yet just demolish those atrocious little buildings).. that way you'll have enough space for a Staples. Then, replace the reprehensible Little Stevie's with a Verizon Wireless store, and the block will be complete!

Plenty of good Mexican food. It's just the memories that I can't find here.

Boston is a surprisingly good burrito town. You can find excellent Mexican food (or Tex Mex) if you really know where to look in New York, but it's usually an adventure without the ease and consistency of Anna's.

Of course, people from California and Texas think you would have to be on crack to enjoy any Mexican dish in the northeast.

Boston is a surprisingly good burrito town. You can find excellent Mexican food (or Tex Mex) if you really know where to look in New York, but it's usually an adventure without the ease and consistency of Anna's.

Of course, people from California and Texas think you would have to be on crack to enjoy any Mexican dish in the northeast.

I disagree. The fact that all these restaurants advertise themselves as "san francisco style" is a big warning sign.

Top that with the Annas/Boca owners being Asia, Chipotle being from Denver and you have failure.

Baja Fresh is the most authentic and best mexican chain, but for some reason they refuse to come into the city and stay in the burbs.

Since this might be the best opportunity to plug my favorite TexMex place in greater Boston, I'll vote for The Alamo in Medfield. There aren't many restaurants that I would ever drive 1.5 hours roundtrip for lunch, but this makes that cut.

That out of place suburban sign on the sidewalk was acceptable when it was 'local'.

An example of 'good' grit?

Its now spiffy and new, an eyesore.

I'm curious to see whether they'll make any attempt to keep flyers off the sign post, which up to this point has definitely fallen into the category of good, vital grit.

They've been improving Kenmore Square for years now ... and is it improved?

I'd rather see a Qdoba or a Chipotle. In a first floor storefront.

What's the deal with 24hr activity in Boston...I mean, come one we pride ourselves as a college town, and the latest anything is open is 2am?

And does anyone know what the restrictions are/what options are available 24hrs in Manhattan?

I think a Chipotle just opened up in the Trinity, right across from the art store.

Their lease was up at the end of 2006, and the owner was raising rent by a figure well north of 100%. They moved out that December, and the space remained vacant up until now.

Everybody's raising their rents, and why not? Surely those starving artists with their deep pockets will appreciate having a gizmo store right there. Put a Citizen's Bank branch in the old Kay Bee furniture space, and wipe out all the walls between the defunct piano store and Looney Tunes (better yet just demolish those atrocious little buildings).. that way you'll have enough space for a Staples. Then, replace the reprehensible Little Stevie's with a Verizon Wireless store, and the block will be complete!

This building also needed serious Environmental work. That might be part of the reason rent went up so much. Their bill for the work I'm sure was pretty hefty.

I wouldn't be surprised, it's a growing chain. Popping up all over the country.

I disagree. The fact that all these restaurants advertise themselves as "san francisco style" is a big warning sign.

Top that with the Annas/Boca owners being Asia, Chipotle being from Denver and you have failure.

Baja Fresh is the most authentic and best mexican chain, but for some reason they refuse to come into the city and stay in the burbs.

isn't there a baja fresh in quincy market?

i used to think boston had bad mexican food, then i just discovered that no one is adventurous.

Tacos Lupita in somerville, Tacos el Charro in JP, Angela's in East Boston are among the many places in those neighborhoods that put Anna's to shame. I never understood how Anna's gets such high marks from everyone. It doesn't even feel like a burrito place.

Agreed Pierce, there are fabulous Mexican places in Somerville and Eastie, but I give Anna's and Felipe's points for relative decency, given their convenience - they stare down Chipotle and Qdoba locations that I'm surprised are ever still patronized.

Back