The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

The views of the harbor in that render are jaw dropping. I wonder if the metal will look like 8 Spruce Street (Gehry Building).

That view might be the best of the new uber-penthouse views. Harbor and beyond, North End, DTX/Financial District. Unobstructed and unlikely to be blocked anytime soon. That is a phenomenal view.

It's a phenomenal view, but I actually would care more about seeing the cityscape than the harbor.

You get both there. To each his own though thats why theres windows all the way around the tower.

I have to agree with you there. I was lucky enough for a while to have an office downtown, off Wall Street on the 50th floor with monstrous view of both midtown as well as the harbor / statue of liberty, etc. Both were amazing in their own way.

You get both there. To each his own though thats why theres windows all the way around the tower.

From that Globe article:

Boston Globe said:
HYM Investments recently told the Boston Planning & Development Agency that it’s decided to convert 118 apartments planned for a 45-story tower it is building atop the Government Center Garage into 55 condominiums.

118 apartments to become 55 condos, so the building will lose 63 units and the condos will be over twice the size of the previously planned apartments.

"Developer of 45-story tower changes plans"

There goes the curved facade.

Negative Nancy here to say: The curvy tower is never going to happen, the curvy tower was never going to happen. The garage will stretch out over Congress St long after our bodies start to decay in this cold, damp earth.

All well and good, and the condo supply will be terribly constricted during the next 3-5 years.

Still, I'm disappointed they're taking out the street-level retail to make it a lobby for the condo units. (Proposed.)

Street-level activity is often helpful to keeping things lively.

(Caveat: I won't miss the Dunkin Donuts at Haymarket.)

Negative Nancy here to say: The curvy tower is never going to happen, the curvy tower was never going to happen. The garage will stretch out over Congress St long after our bodies start to decay in this cold, damp earth.

I respect the probability calculation underlying this statement.

Nonetheless, mark me down as guessing the other way: a major tech, finance, or healthcare company will announce their move to Boston within the next 5 years and the tower will be built.

Seriously people. I may have hometown bias, but I truly believe that the tech industry is in the midst of a massive geographical consolidation into 3-4 hubs nationwide, and Boston is one of them.

EDIT:
Additional point: The Pelli tower can be built without demolishing the section of garage over congress st. Isn't it primarily going where the spiral drum ramp is now? All the $ spent already for garage internal ramp work sets the stage for both the Pelli tower & residential tower. So, sure, none of us may live to see congress st. opened up : )

And isn't this the residential tower thread? We should debate this stuff on the overall Bulfinch Crossing thread...

Last edited:
Maybe, if they fail to win a main tenant, they'll push for a mix of offices, condos & hotel in a Tabasco Sauce bottle if it's a choice between something pretty good vs nothing.

Still, that means this won't start going vertical until 2019, so two years.

A tower of this magnitude is usually taking at least a year to top off, and at least a year from top-off to completion. So this should probably be rising throughout much of 2018, top off in 2019, and open in 2020.

2.5 years for complex demo and tower construction sounds pretty reasonable. Towers alone usually take about 1.5-2.

Back