Troy Boston (formerly Albany St Hotel) | 275 Albany Street | South End

Re: New Albany St Hotel | 275 Albany Street | South End

Here's what I think is the latest though they're already a year old. From the 2nd PNF: http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/275-albany-street

ct3z.jpg

yk7n.jpg

pg8o.jpg

Once again we'll be thanking ADD Inc. for injecting some color into Boston's palette.

uz6c.jpg

x451.jpg

k8xm.jpg

xsmv.jpg

Poor Albany Street can't get no love ^^

kcei.jpg

z6sl.jpg

Thanks, kz. Renderings look good and I agree, I enjoy me some added color.

One retail spot? :confused:

South building core topped off

13209022113_b7f50f742c_c.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0179 by greg.miao, on Flickr[/IMG]

Crane going up for north side 17 story building in the background (foreground is ink block Sepia i think)

13209195254_8027d481d2_c.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0178 by greg.miao, on Flickr[/IMG]

very cool!

The crane went up this weekend. It def stands out on approach from I-93 North, or any local roads through Southie heading downtown.

It literally feels like every block from South Bay to South Street has a crane on it with this, Ink Block, One Greenway, etc, plus 45 Stuart, and everything rising in the Seaport.

13469566265_a7ecb4d113_b.jpg

According to curbed this project's official name is Troy.

Why Troy Boston? It's being built on a 1.27-acre site that was part of the original rail system from the Boston and Albany Railroad. The streets around it, according to the developers, "were named after upstate New York stops including Troy, now home of Troy Boston." See?

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2014/03/meet-troy-boston-part-of-the-south-ends-boomlet.php#more

Barely on topic, but the real Troy, NY is actually doing kinda alright these days. Yuppies are finally discovering the beauty of its downtown, and at the moment there's some real forward momentum going on. Who knows if this energy will fizzle out in 3 years the way almost everything good seems to in Upstate but for now the picture is surprisingly positive.

Is Troy really "Upstate" New York? I always reserved that term for places like Rochester and Buffalo.

100%. The Albany area has never been called "downstate." That's strictly from Rockland/Putnam Counties and down. And if you're from NYC then anything north of Yonkers is total hick country.

Yup, to figure out whether to tell people if you're from "upstate" or "downstate" you usually have to find out where they're from first. To someone from Metro NY everything north of 287 is upstate (or some would even say the GWB). To someone from, say, Lake George, everything south of Poughkeepsie might as well be the city, and everything below Albany is decidedly downstate.

As someone from Orange County, I'd say the line is somewhere between 84 and 88. NY is weird.

I've lived in both upstate and the city and I've heard all sorts of dividing lines. However, some territory is indisputable. If you draw a line connecting the PA/NY boarder and the CT/MA boarder you roughly divide New York state into 2 triangles. 100% of everything in the upper triangle is upstate. Albany (and thus Troy) is always upstate.

The upstate/downstate divide is somewhere in that lower triangle. I like davem's suggestion of I-84 as good dividing line. Poughkeepsie and Monticello are decidedly upstate in my opinion.

As far as Albany(the government) is concerned anything outside of the MTA commuter lines is considered upstate. I personnally consider Albany part of the capital(or central) region. New York is more than just upstate and downstate.

Back