Troy Boston (formerly Albany St Hotel) | 275 Albany Street | South End

Re: new hotel proposed- 275 Albany St

Nice. Although its pretty much identical to other buildings of this type, I like seeing new development in this part of town.

The BRA says construction will begin 1st qtr 2012, completion 1st qtr 2014. I interpret to mean if financing is available and there is demand. I have the feeling, hope, that developers have learned to get all the approvals in advance and then build when the economy is good. I've seen too many proposals announced during a boom only to disappear in the following recession because the process takes so long.

The extended stay hotel will target exhibitors at the convention center who need to be in Boston to set up before the show and stay after to dismantle their exhibits.
$125 Million New 408-Room Hotel Coming to the South End
The BRA Board approved a $125 million hotel project slated for the South End that will transform a vacant parking lot with the creation of 408 new hotel rooms. Located at 275 Albany Street, the 332,285 square foot project comprises the creation of two hotel buildings that will be joined by a common above grade parking garage, roof terrace and swimming pool.The project will create 225 permanent jobs and 200 construction jobs. Construction is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2012 and be ready for occupancy by the first quarter of 2014.

The first hotel building will consist of a ?select-service? hotel in a 16-story building with 210 hotel rooms. It will occupy the northern end of the project site and its front door will be on Traveler Street. Select?service hotels provide a less costly alternative for guests compared to a full-service hotel and are aimed at both business and leisure travelers. The select-service hotel includes an approximately 4,000 square foot restaurant on the ground floor, occupying the corner of the building at the Albany and Traveler Street intersection, where it will help to enliven the street environment. The hotel will feature a swimming pool and a roof terrace on the second level.
The second hotel building will consist of an ?extended-stay? hotel with 198 hotel rooms. It will have an L-shaped footprint and will occupy the southern end of the project site. Its front door will be on East Berkeley Street. The extended-stay hotel will reach nine stories on East Berkeley Street and seven stories on Albany Street. Extended-stay hotels are designed for the business traveler who generally plans to stay a week or more. The proposed hotel will be well positioned to serve visitors and exhibitors at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center who often require longer stays to attend conventions.

The development team consists of Normandy Real Estate Partners and Bluehawk Investments LLC as the owner/developer; ADD Inc. as project architect; Mel Shuman Law as legal counsel; Howard Stein Hudson as transportation consultants; and Epsilon Associates as the permitting consultant.
http://bostonredevelopmentauthority...08/125-million-new-408-room-hotel-coming.html

Nice. Although its pretty much identical to other buildings of this type, I like seeing new development in this part of town.

Me too actually... more excited to see this go up than Liberty Mutual.

Me too actually... more excited to see this go up than Liberty Mutual.

I don't know. This development is limited by the fact that it's surrounded by an elevated highway, a huge gas station and Boston's homeless capital. No matter how well it's designed, at street level it will always be compromised by the groups of tweakers milling around outside looking for their next fix.

I don't know. This development is limited by the fact that it's surrounded by an elevated highway, a huge gas station and Boston's homeless capital. No matter how well it's designed, at street level it will always be compromised by the groups of tweakers milling around outside looking for their next fix.

I feel like Normandy is taking a big gamble here, and that makes the project more exciting. Lending is tough, the neighborhood still has issues, and the design is modern (it will bookend the McAllen on the other side of 93 quite well). I have to give them huge points for taking the chance here, and to bridge some of the gap between Southie and South End. Maybe more will follow their lead if successful?

Counter that with Liberty who is building Saltonstall 2013, taking huge tax breaks to do it, and dosn't really contribute anything new, or vital, to that neighborhood.

There is no gamble here. This is the next big area to be developed, tons of empty lots and few owners. That's why the BRA is studying this area:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...nitsIndividual.asp?action=ViewInit&InitID=135

I've attended every meeting so far

Odd comment. They've been calling the Seaport the "next big area to be developed" for 30 years. Literally. It's on the water, close to downtown, on the highway, minutes from the airport. And we've got a couple ugly boxes and a hotel that is so successful that the city wants to subsidize the next one. That's how little a gamble it's been.

The seaport is already being developed, that's why I consider this the next big area. It's between the South End and the Downtown.

This area has all the same issues as North Point only with the added bonus of the Pine Street Inn's overpopulation milling about. Somehow I think other often ignore areas of the city are going to experience a yuppie gentrification boom before this forlorn area ever does.

The seaport is already being developed, that's why I consider this the next big area. It's between the South End and the Downtown.

Isn't it more between the South End and Chinatown or the South End and South Boston? And even that's being generous because you've got to go over the Pike to get to Chinatown and under I-93 then over the rail depot to get to Southie. But I do agree that it will benefit from it's association with the South End.

SoWa seems to do fine with the Pine Street Inn in its midst, but this Albany Street area also has the additional blighting influences of the elevated I-93, very busy on- and off-ramps, and railroad yards. That's a lot to overcome.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...sJDR2iXfENaFRZDzK/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2012/08/habemus-details-the-10block-lot.php

A New Jersey developer is proposing to build an apartment tower and hotel next to the former Boston Herald headquarters, one of several large-scale projects that would transform a scrubby section of the South End.
Normandy Real Estate Partners is finalizing plans for 220 apartments and 325 hotel rooms on the rectangular lot at 275 Albany St. The apartment tower could be as tall as 18 stories, adding a new level of height to the area that would also offer views of the downtown skyline and the Seaport District. The hotel, whose operator has not been named, would be 11 stories.
Normandy’s proposal, which includes retail stores at ground level, revises a prior plan to build 408 hotel rooms on the property. The land is situated in 10-block area between Washington and Albany streets that has attracted other redevelopment proposals. Normandy, which previously developed the Ames Hotel in Downtown Crossing and several other projects in the region, said its proposal will bring pedestrian traffic and even outdoor dining to desolate sections of Traveler, East Berkeley, and Albany streets.
“The project will energize and enliven the area,” the company wrote in a project outline obtained by the Globe. “It will also serve as a buffer between the imposing hulk of the Southeast Expressway and the historic South End neighborhood.”

The project still needs approval from the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which recently revised building guidelines in the area to encourage high-density redevelopment with a mix of stores, residences, and offices. Normandy hopes to begin construction in the first half of 2013.
‘The proximity to public transportation and now a supermarket makes it very attractive location.’

The project is adjacent to the former Herald property, where National Development is planning to build a mixed-use complex called the Ink Block. That project will include 475 apartments, a 50,000-square-foot Whole Foods grocery, and other shops and restaurants.
Several other building proposals are also beginning to take shape in the surrounding area. Nordblom Co. of Burlington is planning the construction of a residential and retail complex at a 2-acre site on Harrison Avenue previously occupied by Graybar Electronics. At the corner of East Berkeley and Washington streets, developer Ronald Druker is considering a project that could include residences, office space, and retail shops.
“The future is very, very bright in this part of the South End,” Druker said Wednesday. “The proximity to public transportation and now a supermarket makes it very attractive location.”
The Normandy project would include the reconstruction of sidewalks around the circumference of the property, adding landscaping and additional room for cafe tables, benches, and other upgrades. The buildings would wrap around a 165-space parking garage.

OUCH...
02Normandy1.jpg

Looking the other way isn't as bad...
02Normandy2.jpg

looks like everything else thats being built nowadays!

Blank wall for elevators on prominent elevation - check.
Glass storefronts with limited access from street - check
Subtle little angle to break up the squareness of it all - check
Little awning on the penthouse to add flair - check

Yup pretty much.

I don't think it's so bad. I think the massing melds quite well with some of the brick and beam buildings further up Berkeley.

Given the area, this is actually good.

Are they trying to hide the rooftop utilities with an homage to the London 2012 basketball arena? Why bother; it looks worse.

Looks like a commieblock.

Why did they change the design to that from this (taken from the previous page)?

275_albany_Street_rendering.jpg

^ Value engineering!!

Back