Vertex Headquarters @ Fan Pier | 11 Fan Pier Blvd, 50 Northern Ave | Seaport

These look nice rising behind the courthouse. The building without the logo has some nice architectural lighting elements at night.

Bays on the Financial District side glow a blue/purple color:

Crown is lit on the Seaport facing side. Looks like a nice terrace is up there, too.

That lighting is nice, but it also serves to highlight how poorly the mechanical louvers were integrated into the design.

Not too defend it (again), but the amount of air for that much lab space, with the huge amount of fume hoods there, requires a massive amount of louver space. The plenum is going to be continuous, you can't realistically spread it around equally. It doesn't look great (or horrible), but it is necessary.

I have seen ... for consistency sake ...more louvers than required and blanking the inactive areas off to allow for a consistent architectural look.

cca

True. That makes it more uniform, and I don't exactly know why they wanted windows all along the mechanical levels other than uniformity of glass. I've definitely worked on projects with false louvers to complete the look.

During the day, these are the best lit mechanical rooms I have been in, with great views.

Pick your poison I guess. More glass or more louvers to achieve your overall look.

Sign going up yesterday, facing the harbor.

w5sDf7m.jpg

6hqreyT.jpg

How much is the court house Worth sitting on that piece of land? Any guesses?

Don't know, but it's got to be worth a lot. I love that building.

The courthouse thus far may be the best design in the Seaport. That, and the ICA. Campbell had it right, Fan Pier is rentable space. At least at this point.

To me, the courthouse is a hulking, mass of brick (on the street side) in the same league with the brick hulk of a Transportation Building in Park Square! The Harbor side of the courthouse, ok, I like!

Last edited:
^Fortunately, the street side will be hidden shortly.

To me, the courthouse is a hulking, mass of brick (on the street side) in the same league with the brick hulk of a Transportation Building in Park Square! The Harbor side of the courthouse, ok, I like!

I can see how someone might feel that - overindulgent use of Boston's favorite material? Yeah, could be. But compared to what's going on at next door at Fan Pier...

I can see how someone might feel that - overindulgent use of Boston's favorite material? Yeah, could be. But compared to what's going on at next door at Fan Pier...

One of the things I've been most struck by as I walk around lately is how our latest crop of buildings is making the brickwork of 1980s-90s PoMo structures look like fucking works of art. Not that I think the federal court is anything special (because I don't) but it's all starting to look like the work of a better, bygone era. And this is rather shocking to hear myself say these words about...postmodern architecture?!

Last edited:
^You're tag line seems appropriate.

I like these buildings. They are high quality, have some good retail footprints. I hope we do get more variety in the residential and other buildings. Otherwise, walking down the street will be like the hancock tower turned sideways. I think the area has been a surprise and has a lot to go, so I am reserving judgement.

What are you all talking about, criticizing the Courthouse? Nothing says "Welcome" like the ass of the building facing the rest of the Seaport.

^You're tag line seems appropriate.

I like these buildings. They are high quality, have some good retail footprints. I hope we do get more variety in the residential and other buildings. Otherwise, walking down the street will be like the hancock tower turned sideways. I think the area has been a surprise and has a lot to go, so I am reserving judgement.

Reserving judgement is a fine idea. I will do the same. We still have a long way to go.

ditto^ still a ways to go! from a very dirty window @ 185 Kneeland or the Wang building

Good catch! Ahhhhhh I'm getting old, talking about an era I lived through as "bygone"...

Kz -- its frightening to think that the original Pru has past middle age since some of the steel was installed 54 years ago and is approaching Senior Citizenship

from wiki:

The Prudential Tower was designed by Charles Luckman and Associates for Prudential Insurance.....[The Prudential Tower began construction in 1960 with steel erection work by Donovan Steel.] .....Completed in 1964,.....It contains 1,200,000 sq ft (110,000 m2) of commercial and retail space.....

The building is 749 feet (228 m) tall, with 52 floors.......Including its radio mast, the tower stands as the tallest building in Boston and is tied with others as the 77th-tallest in the United States, rising to 907 feet (276 m) in height.....

Upon its completion in 1964, the Prudential was the tallest building in the world outside of New York City, surpassing the Terminal Tower in Cleveland, Ohio. It dwarfed the 1947-John Hancock building. This spurred the insurance rival to build the 1975 John Hancock Tower, which is slightly taller at 790 feet (240 m).

Back