Vertex Headquarters @ Fan Pier | 11 Fan Pier Blvd, 50 Northern Ave | Seaport

What do you think the LIFESPAN for the Magintude of the PRU will stand for? 150 Years? Before a major overhaul to reprop up the structure.

Any guesses?

Last edited:
What do you think the LIFESPAN for the Magintude of the PRU will stand for? 150 Years? Before a major overhaul to reprop up the structure.

Any guesses?

I had been thinking about something similar recently regarding many of the older skyscrapers in NYC and Chicago. Some of which are on the cusp of being 100 years old. But 100 years from now or 200 years, what is the maintenance of those buildings going to entail? Will they eventually need to be demolished because of how inefficient and expensive they will be to maintain? Unprecedented territory for 20th century building construction.

I had been thinking about something similar recently regarding many of the older skyscrapers in NYC and Chicago. Some of which are on the cusp of being 100 years old. But 100 years from now or 200 years, what is the maintenance of those buildings going to entail? Will they eventually need to be demolished because of how inefficient and expensive they will be to maintain? Unprecedented territory for 20th century building construction.

They just upgraded the Empire State building, its one of the best performers in the city now.

The prewar buildings usually have great thermal mass, natural light and solar gain (some of the "greenest" features you can get), so they are awesome when retrofitted with a new HVAC system. Its the brutalist and pomo buildings that are inefficient and expensive, typically by design. Just like an old house, preventative maintance and system upgrades will keep them going for ever, disasters or massive design flaws notwithstanding. Steel and concrete, as long as protected from the elements, will stand for ever.

As a base line reference, it would be great to know the condition of the Singer Building when it was taken down. Wonder if there was any kind of autopsy?

So what do you think the Life Span for the PRU is? It looks like it might keel over soon.
Empire State was completed in 1932—
Prudential was completed in 1964---
Empire state just looks better built. I like Darth Vader but it definitely looks like a building that could topple.

I'm no structural engineer, so I'll defer to the numerous experts on the board.

My guess, though, is that the obsolescence of the Pru building would come for use and economic reasons than due to any structural defect.

As to use, I refer back to the Singer Building, which was demolished because its tower floorplates (in the pre-condo conversion era) were deemed uneconomic. The replacement building promised to be more marketable, so the old one went.

As to economic reasons, there is the question of the pro forma. My guess is that this would give you your answer. When reserves for replacement/expenses start to take too big a bite, or are simply inadequate, big decisions will have to be made. But I don't have any inside knowledge there!

So what do you think the Life Span for the PRU is? It looks like it might keel over soon.
Empire State was completed in 1932—
Prudential was completed in 1964---
Empire state just looks better built. I like Darth Vader but it definitely looks like a building that could topple.

Why are you doing this in the Vertex thread?

Cuz it's a blog man. You know, blog it up. Go blog. Wolf out, wolf it, wolf Up. C'mon Scott.

How long do you think these LITTLE STUMPS in the Innovation District will last?

I say a lifespan of 75 Years on the Vertex buildings.

Things at rest tend to stay at rest.

cca

Exactly. Proper structural design is all about statics and maintaining equilibrium.
When things are in equilibrium, then nothing is experiencing damaging stress. All designs use a safety factor of 2-3x, meaning no structural components is anywhere near it's bend, break, shear, or crush threshold.

Unless, Logan is moved, or someone sees it to be viably economic for whatever they want/need to do, the Vertex buildings will be there plus or minus forever or the world descends into massive warfare. (I have the image of the professor, Bender, and Fry sitting in the time machine watching wars destroying cities and rebuilding over and over in my head. Not trying to be super bleak).

I don't understand the thought process for the most part. They are there now, and will be long after you are.

Cuz it's a blog man. You know, blog it up. Go blog. Wolf out, wolf it, wolf Up. C'mon Scott.

Let me give you some advice Seamus.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

I have a question to blog: will Vertex fall down and be replaced by a stadium before Boston turns into Detroit?

Let me give you some advice Seamus.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

50 interwebs to you!!
And, thank you for getting the reference.

I have a question to blog: will Vertex fall down and be replaced by a stadium before Boston turns into Detroit?

That area could never support a stadium at this point.

I'm not sure that you haven't notice but the BRA Planning board missed the entire course on building Infrastructure along with an upgradeable Transit grid.
Especially when they decided how the transit would flow in and out of the Seaport.
People would be hanging on top of the roof riding the Silver-line bus just going to the game.

But we have great Innovation coming out of State Street, Price Coopers and some law firms in the area. Talk about the Brilliance of the BRA that would consider relocating existing downtown tenants with tax breaks then call it Innovation district.

And by the way I PLAY CARDS.........

Based on your habit of repeating things over and over again, I might be afraid to play cards against you.

Counting cards is not illegal, but it is frowned upon.

I also don't care where you buy your underwear.

Based on your habit of repeating things over and over again, I might be afraid to play cards against you.

Counting cards is not illegal, but it is frowned upon.

I also don't care where you buy your underwear.

If you didn't care then you wouldn't respond.

Hilarous.

Though pistolman gives me thoughts of this guy...

x87n.jpg

"Do you want to see my cotton panties?"

Back