W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

Go, Jacob Wirth's! And, don't forget the added floors on the Tufts' building.

Are we all in agreement regarding the lack of height of the proposed building/billboard proposed on the current (former) site of the ticket trolley? The W's affect on the intersection is thus far drastic, to say the least.

White I'm usually for height, the reality of that site is that it's no more than 40 feet wide at any point, so what can you expect? We don't have the market for proportion-defying sliver towers the way NYC does.

Think I may have read on this forum a while back that the Jacob Wirth's building was going to be developed?
This past Valentine's Day I was stuck in an incredibly long line in Chabba Flourist and a group of us got to talking. Turns out the owner of Jacob Wirth's and her niece were two of the people. We were talking long enough that I felt comfortable asking her about the potential for the site to be developed. She raised her eyebrow and said that the business had been in her family since the 70s, and that she had absolutely no plans to sell. Don?t remember if she said whether or not she owns the property, but redevelopment of the site was news to her.

^^ There was a proposal for a tower next to JW's not replacing it.

That proposal seems dead now.

That proposal is dead...but another developer might move forward with a project on the adjacent parking lot. Not sure how long off this might be, but it's likely in the works.

are there not any better renderings out there? seems like there should be by now. ???

are there not any better renderings out there? seems like there should be by now. ???

Right here:

w-hotel.jpg

thanks.. saw that one...thought there might be 'cleaner' one.

^^well there's some low resolution ones on the front page, don't know if that will help you though. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see the final product, so far based off the renderings I think it will look great!

Ya I agree. The glass facade really looks beautiful, and if it actually does come out like that, I think it will stick out nicely.

William Rawn Associates is the architect of record (the was a piece in ArchRecord this past month that included this rendering). Perhaps there's more on the firms webpage.

This shot is from another angle taken this past weekend:

The rest of my pictures of the W Boston going up are HERE.

I had an interview with State Street today so I decided to take a walk through the city. I walked to City Hall to try and check on the City Model at the BRA, but it was locked. I ended up making it out to our new favorite building, but I had to use my phone so please excuse the bad quality.

W.jpg

Also, this was across the street where that cool thin building is supposedly going up...does anyone know how long this stuff has been there like that?
Theater.jpg

And one last thing...does anyone know if this garage has any plans to be destroyed? I'm pretty sure it was right near Water St.
Parking.jpg

P.S. A word of advice...don't try to walk from Gov't Center to Back Bay on a hot day while wearing a full business suit and dress shoes. I was first lulled to sleep by overbearing shadows on the Common and then I was viciously attacked by Solar Glare when I got towards Back Bay. I was so overwhelmed, I had to stop at Fire & Ice to get a beer and some food. I was trying to make it to The Clarendon to take a snap of that, but time was getting tight if I was going to make it to the commuter rail, so maybe another day.

^^Off topic but what State Street location were you interviewed in? The main building? I currently work as an intern in LCC down the street and I wouldn't mind meeting a fellow ArchBoston member.

^^Off topic but what State Street location were you interviewed in? The main building? I currently work as an intern in LCC down the street and I wouldn't mind meeting a fellow ArchBoston member.

I was actually interviewing at LCC for a Fund Accountant position...I'll let you know whether or not I get the job...if I start working there we'll have to start grabbin lunch and talkin about development haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back