W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

Are some of us confused about which is the "ugly, and which is the "nice"? I think the ALL glass is the nicer of the two facade components.

I like the building, especially the shape. It's not the cladding scheme I would have chosen but the multiple colors add a little interest. The shape of building gives it a demarcation so different cladding separated along that boundary seems natural although not the only choice or the best choice. The multicolored blue side looks like the old Travelers building downtown destroyed for International Place.

The all-glass side is nice, but cladding on the other one is generic, overused, bottom-of-the-barrel suburban office park crap.

Designed right, the two toned glass style can yield impressive results:

FourseasonsMiami.jpg

Four Season tower, Miami

^ Still looks schizophrenic.

I walked by this building today and I really like it. It may be "stumpy" but it still towers over everything in its immediate surroundings.

That's some zoom from Milton. Are the background hills in New Hampshire? Canada?

Once again, great rendering, disappointing reality. (Thus far.) The original rendering was sheer glass on all sides. I don't care for the stripes, which in the pics seem to increase the building's bulk.

Shaping up to be another Intercontinental. Everyone wets themselves over the glass, but then ends up with a dud. It's not the 80s anymore; endless glass is no longer interesting.

$650K for an 800 Sq.Ft. unit 1 Bed 1 Bath. That's pre-construction price. 4 units have been sold, 10 under agreement, and (1) $4 million penthouse sold already. This was last weeks information from the sales director.

IMO, too much $ for such a living space.

IMO, a very reasonable price considering it's a new building a block from the common with presumably all the hotel services.

I actually think it would have look awesome if it was a 100 foot taller. I don't say the design is ugly or boring but I think it is a decent design.

I think it's boring. The north facade needs relief from the monotony of all that glass, and the south side, like Tocoto pointed out, looks a lot like the demolished Travelers Building, which I'm pretty sure nobody here is missing.

IMO, a very reasonable price considering it's a new building a block from the common with presumably all the hotel services.

keep in mind with these new high rise condos that often it is not the purchase price that is unreasonable but rather the monthly fees. That $650,000 one bed/one bath unit could easily have condo fees approaching $1,000 a month when you add in parking and everything else.

I do agree.
No need to be bitching here! We do have more than enough of it out there!

Let's go back to the W.
The design is very good, the glass is ok so far, but we're still looking at the unfinished tower.
Two different glass walls, two different way to look at the shape of that building from several angles, maybe, and I repeat MAYBE, it will be just as beautiful as we want it to be once we're giving them enough time to top it with all those glass windows!
The shape of this tower is very elegant, and I hope we do agree with it.
It took the best out of that shitty parking lot!
Now: let's wait a little and maybe those glass walls will all come together beautifully and make Boston Theather District actually more exciting that ever...
and we're all going to burn down that "Target welcome site":
because people that's the real shame!

Way to blow up over nothing, guys. Let's keep it civil and on topic please.

Let them finish this building and then we'll see.....
Anyway they're so fast, it won't take that long.

Today 11-20-08 w/bad camera! I'm kind of liking the way this looks like one building poking out from behind another.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx18lyndbo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back