W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

Steel construction complete for W Hotel
Boston Business Journal

The final piece of steel was put in place Tuesday at Boston?s newest luxury hotel, the W Hotel and Residences in the Theater District.

The ?topping off? ceremony marks the end of steel construction on the building. Boston-based Sawyer Enterprises is developing the hotel, which will open in the summer of 2009 and bring 235 hotel rooms and 123 private residences to Boston.

The development team included development manager Jones Lang LaSalle, architects William Rawn Associates Architects Inc. and TRO Jung Brannen, interior designer Bentel & Bentel and the residential marketing and sales team of Otis & Ahearn Real Estate. The hotel will be managed by Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Among those attending the ceremoney were Mayor Thomas M. Menino and representatives from W Hotels Worldwide, Sawyer Enterprises, Bovis Lend Lease and Ironworkers Local 7. Ironworkers Local 7 made a donation to the neighboring Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center as part of the ceremony.

Also in attendance, Larry from in front of the 7-Eleven.

this morning from Cambridge
091.jpg

That is a really nice shot. The color of the sky is awesome.

Really nice shot. From that angle the "gap" between Downtown and the Back Bay appears filled.

Thanks! I was'nt even going to post this one cause I was doing crane shots for my crane thread!

Are there two different types of glass on that building?

^ yeah...it's wierd. The glass on the back is really inelegant. I don't get it. Like 45 Province: one side is nicely detailed; the other side has issues.

Does anyone have any theories as to why they'd do this?

I don't know, I don't think I like how this is turning out. I'll wait to see it in person though.

I have to imagine it'll be a lot different when it's completed. I walked past it last night on the way from Boylston Station to the Wang, and that corner was completely dark. Like, black hole level darkness. When everything's done, the building's got to light up, right? At least from the inside? That should change the feel of the entire thing seeing as how it's completely glass.

As for the bland back wall, is that the side facing Dominics? I noticed last night that Dominics is closed. Maybe someone's eyeing building there and W doesn't want to bother with what will end up being more or less a party wall?

^ I bet the top will be lit up! today from Camb. 10-23-08
136.jpg

I remember reading when this building was first announced that the architect had talked the developer into putting a restaurant on the ground level with the kitchen on a different floor. Same with the reception area. He felt having a kitchen and reception area would kill activity on the ground floor. He wanted to make sure this hotel was lively at the street level.

There was also talk of Emerson having rehearsal and performance space in the building. Since Emerson then bought the Paramount I think this was canceled. It would have been a great addition to the theater district and to have another space and another marque.

In order to get a building this height the owner agreed not to go high on two of his other vacant lots, one on Arlington St and I think the other is on Charles St.

My memory is a little fuzzy on this, so if anyone can remember more.

Even the "ugly" glass wall looks great, so even with this project's relative squatness, it is still a big plus for the area.

not to make a science of it, but the "ugly" glass is very functional, explicit and simple -- reminds me of why we like old warehouses and factories enough to turn them into lofts. the "nice" glass reminds me of what i don't like about office park architecture.

[to riffgo] i may be confused -- i'm voting for the glass on the left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back