W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

Yea the ground level sucks...but I think we're being a bit too harsh here given the fact this is, after all, is an entirely new sidewalk along the Berkeley face...the hotel isn't even open yet and the building was designed to canyonize the area...

Look at the hotels in Times Square....the ground level design of the buildings is also very sterile and with a lot of curb space...but who cares about that?

It doesn't matter there because the overall environment is entirely integrated and immersive. Though to be fair; I can't think of one hotel in Times Square that has such a big footprint on the ground....

Either way...what is more important, imo, are things like lighting...advertising....nightlife and more retail in that part of the city all while being respectful of the dwindling Chinese community.

The new concept bar seems kind of neat....it's should be a good start.

WHotelBoston.jpg

Full of life. Will the real thing come close?

^^ Would be nice if some of those trees were planted there.

Dongik Lee always puts a framing for-ground tree in all of his renderings. Its artistic licence. There is no reality to that kind of detail in any of those renderings. Its about selling the vision.

cca

You guys are way too harsh. First of all, no building will get ground level activity, whether it is inviting or not, if there is no destination. Contrary to what many of you think, if you build it, they would come, is false. People will not stand or walk in front of the hotel if they have no reason to. They are not there to entertain us with the idea that the city is exceptionally lively. All the destinations are to the left of the building where the theaters are. In addition, this building isn't open yet, so why would there be any pedestrian near there? All the restaurants are on the other side of the street and unless the hotel has a restaurant on it's bottom floor, there are no reason for people to walk on that side. Remember, this is Boston, not NYC where you see large quantity of people walking all over the place. Unless the area get's spruced up, you can't blame the lack of street activity on one building.

Is there not a ground floor restaurant or bar or... anything? If not, why?

Is there not a ground floor restaurant or bar or... anything? If not, why?

IMG_3165.jpg

"Hi! Welcome Chez Eatz! Please come in. Mind your step, just walk around that lift jack and over that pile of 2x4's. Let me just wipe this sawdust off your table. Enjoy your meal."

Last edited:

Speaking of which, it's a damn shame there's not a Standard in Boston. Not that they're brand particularly fits the Boston demographic, but it's a very neat chain. Are they a subsidiary of a larger hotel company?

...it's a damn shame there's not a Standard in Boston.

Word up!

I've stayed at the original on Sunset Blvd, and at the new on in New York. My kind of place.

The new Ames Hotel may be the closest we get.

My lovely assistant and I stayed in Room 912 back in January. The thought did cross our minds, but we were a bit drunk after an evening at the Village Vanguard.

And no one wants to see my ass...

The best feature of the W Hotel will be the view of the city and the Charles River from the top floors.

They've got the full height of the prow lit up purple now, from the street to the roof.

That deck on the roof in my last pix should have killer views! This building will be quite colorful at nite!

It was a brite day when I took this should look cool at nite right click to see clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back