W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
That orange splotch looks surreal (or photoshopped, same thing).

justin

Yesterday -- the site is all fenced off

img3893kl3.jpg

Heh, not even close. Friday June 8th, 12:59:57 PM.

Note the cop staring at me.

Staring for 50 bucks an hour I'll bet. I'm glad he's there to make sure nothing bad happens...wait, what is the presence of a cop at construction site actually supposed to prevent?

I guess I never really thought about this but after seeing the old foundations, does anyone know what building used to be located here?

kz1000ps said:
Heh, not even close. Friday June 8th, 12:59:57 PM.

Note the cop staring at me.
Picture of noon-time crowds inundating vibrant world-class district prepping for weekend of merry-making.

Re: W Hotel

Can anyone get picture updates on this?
Thanks

haha way to take matters into your own hands! :)

I never took any pictures because it hasn't changed in such a long time. I work right around the corner, though.

haha way to take matters into your own hands! :)

I never took any pictures because it hasn't changed in such a long time. I work right around the corner, though.

I noticed that from KZ's photos. Kinda sad how even when construction begins, it takes a long time to see any noticable progress. I was in the area, so I thought what the hell.
Are there any better/newer renderings of this hotel?

No new renderings that I know of. I'm surprised with my "work right around the corner" comment that no one has asked if I am one of the Blue Men -- I hadn't thought of that when I wrote it

Progress is often hidden from the casual observer

Slurry Walls in particular -- that are now becoming quite common on projects hereabouts can hid a bunch of progress

Instead of digging a giant wide v crosss section pit to build the foundations or even driving external piling before digging the dirt out to put in a traditional foundation.

You dig a series of narrow slots into the ground. As you are digging you are refill it temporarily with a Bentonite clay {to keep the narrow and deep hole from collapsing} If someone come around to inspect at ground level -- they might see nothing obvious for weeks.

After you dug the slots you put in rebar cages or steel I beams and then replace the Bentonite Clay with concrete slurry

After the wall are in place you then can excavate traditionally from the top or sometimes such as in Rowe's Wharf for th underground garage you can mine {as in coal} the dirt removing and introducing all the material through one or two small shafts

So the entire underground structure of the building could be constructed without disturbing the surface -- a la much of the Tip O?Neil Tunnel

Westy

Oh yes, I was never intending to insinuate that there was a lack of progress in construction than that there was a lack of physical progress (enough to take a picture).

Didn't suggest that you as respected senior member didn't know -- just that some of our lurkers and junior posters might not have been around Boston long enough to know of such aspects of construction here about or that they might not be sufficiently versed in modern technology of digging a hole

Another case in point is the new MFA -- for months very little was visible except for the knocking down of the old East Wing

Then suddenly -- Poof a Giant Building Crane appears and I would expect rapid change over the next 6 months

Westy

PS: that's a hint for the major photo crowd to do some photos before we lose the first stages of steel, etc.

Westy

I stayed at the W in Dallas this past week. Very Swanky, but somehow it had the feel of an IKEA. Looked really cool, but upon further investigation...
I looked through a hotel magazine in our room that showcased the Ws around the world. They had a section ?coming soon? that listed five or six hotels but did NOT include the Boston W. Their Mandarin, being built across the street with about five other high-rise buildings and some public parks, looked cool as well.

Now this is truly an area of the country undergoing a serious building boom. I counted at least 12 cranes outside our hotel room window alone; it seems as if they don?t have the same problems attracting investors that we do in Boston. Their new buildings should compliment a great mix of older buildings like the Adolphus and Magnolia hotels (http://www.magnoliahotels.com/dallas.aspx) which would be welcomed additions in Boston. About a half hour away, Fort Worth, a city a bit more to my liking is projected to outgrow Dallas at its current pace. They?ve even added substantially to their public transit system. As for the suburbs in the Metroplex?they?re endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back