W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

.... looks like another short and stubby. Its okay, at least it'll hide the Radisson more, and of course replace a parking lot.

Three good things:

1. It's not pre-cast
2. It replaces a parking lot
3. It's skinny on one edge

We really need to have higher standards. Something beyond, "Yay, it doesn't suck!"

I'd prefer the boylston facing facade actually at street level, not set back and at an angle. Otherwise not bad.

Short and stubby? This plot can't be much more than 100 feet deep at its deepest point (compare that on a map to the blob that is the State Transportation building across the street). I know we all love tall and thin, but realistically, given psf construction costs and the increasing amount of floorspace required to be dedicated to elevators, HVAC, etc as you build higher, how much slimmer/taller could it be?

If you don't like the proportions of this one, I doubt you'll like the proportions of anything likely to break ground here in the next decade. Boston economics aren't Manhattan economics - you need stratospheric psf returns and an extreme scarcity of buildable space to justify much taller/thinner. We just don't have that. There are still numerous surface parking lots (Wirth, Heyward, 222 Stuart, Shubert) within a block or two of this site and many more underutilized buildings.

It doesn't face Boylston Street, it faces Stuart Street.

Oh my. I had no idea that this what we were getting. This is the best W Hotel I have personally seen. This image was also sent to me by Boston02124.

w-hotel.jpg

Now that's some badass facade! That glass looks sooooo sexy! One of the best buildings in Boston u/c :D

Last edited:

Boston really does have some nice high-rises U/C. With the exception of SST which is by far the tallest, the rest are all adding some nice density. Can't wait, though I don't have much choice, to see what they'll all look like together once they are completed. Now if Heyward Place and the Residences at Kensington could get built. Oh wait, that would be contributing to the "Manhattanization" of Boston;-)

I just keep reminding myself this is a tiny little lot and the rendering is distorting my impression. Otherwise it would look like the Mini-me version of the Ritz towers.

The top reminds of the Millenium Place Towers as well. I just hope Times Square tower will be taller than what it is proposed at.

What is the Times Sq. tower. Is it in NY?

VERY sweet! Will add a lot to the area.

Otherwise it would look like the Mini-me version of the Ritz towers.

My exact thoughts. The glass and crown looks like a dead-ringer for them.

Those two will make for interesting bookends. Too bad the two developers couldn't get together to do a composite rendering.

These two projects might finally roust this area from its twenty-year torpor.

Walked by there two days ago. Nothing doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back