W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

yes, definetely a win

from the common this morning:
IMG_0879.jpg

i like it although it just seems like a shorter and watered down version of the john hancock to me

I heard last evening that they have stopped construction on the W Hotel. I have a friend who works for Bovis on this job, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Can anyone confirm or dispute this.

At first I didn't believe, it's not like the W Hotel is a solitary business development.... The W is worldwide business who I would think would be capatilized plenty enough to make it through this. Any thoughts??????

the crane is coming down,but lots of activity there yesterday?

I heard last evening that they have stopped construction on the W Hotel. I have a friend who works for Bovis on this job, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Can anyone confirm or dispute this.

At first I didn't believe, it's not like the W Hotel is a solitary business development.... The W is worldwide business who I would think would be capatilized plenty enough to make it through this. Any thoughts??????

I have no knowledge directly of the W construction, but as a general principle, it would be sheer insanity to stop construction at this point, the project has passed the point of no return, and construction probably won't stop until its done. Unless there's some outside litigation against Bovis.

Both the W and Bovis would have nothing to gain and would stand to lose alot of money if they put the project on hold and then have to re-mobilize the entire construction team at some later date.

You will get me fired at the Herald for this ... I posted the rumor on my real estate blog and within ten minutes a guy from the developer's PR firm had me on the phone saying it wasn't true.

I'm not a real reporter, so maybe I'll be forgiven.

Or it's back to the dust bin for me.

A friend of mine works in the hotel industry and she was telling me that although room rates are holding steady, some hotels are asking their managers to go on a four day work week. I don't know if that has any impact on the W, but it might.

I would bet that tourism numbers in Boston stays pretty high. Last summer when gas was so expensive, Boston was packed with tourists who would have otherwise gone somewhere farther away. It was noticible how crowded downtown was around Labor Day.

Does Starwood/W have any capital in this project? Sawyer is the developer, but I'm not sure who will ultimately own the hotel component. Starwood/W might simply be the operator and brand for hire.

I can't think of any reason this would stop unless contractors stopped getting paid. This could happen if they went over budget and the debt lender refuses to allow more draws. In this case, they would have to convince the lender to give more or be allowed to find more capital.

Edit. A shrewd lender could possibly foreclose on the property and force the developer out, and with a nearly completed project like this could be profitable if not overly leveraged to begin with....probably not though, as most banks aren't look to add bad assets to their balance sheets.

Are there any weather-related reasons to stop construction temporarily?

Ron, I don't know but I've been by a couple of construction sites during the past couple of days and kept hearing workers complain about their balzarcold. That could be the problem.

You will get me fired at the Herald for this ... I posted the rumor on my real estate blog and within ten minutes a guy from the developer's PR firm had me on the phone saying it wasn't true.

I'm not a real reporter, so maybe I'll be forgiven.

Or it's back to the dust bin for me.

Maybe you should do some research first?

What happened to getting a statement before posting a rumor?

Only real reporters do that.

Yeah, they'd definitely not want balzarcolds if they're going to finish on time.

Maybe you should do some research first?

What happened to getting a statement before posting a rumor?

He works for the Herald.

Last edited:

I would bet that tourism numbers in Boston stays pretty high. Last summer when gas was so expensive, Boston was packed with tourists who would have otherwise gone somewhere farther away. It was noticible how crowded downtown was around Labor Day.

But are relatively local tourists likely to stay in hotels? That's the real question.

here's an update. photo taken from my mobile phone:

n14100738_31315798_3287.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back