W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

The jutting plane is too high to provide much protection from the rain. From some angles it appears a bit disruptive.

I thought the same thing. The one at the Mandarin isnt much better. Its like the architects forget what city their hotel will be in

Have we seen these renderings before?

bostoncwr3.jpg

bostoncwr4.jpg

I think we have. I stumbled across them on the William Rawn website last night and was wondering the same thing.

my favorite view of this building 03-06-09
204.jpg
back side cool too
205h.jpg
205n.jpg

Best pictures I've seen so far, even if that incomplete window is the most awkward thing I've ever seen.

Looks good....I've even warmed up to the two different types of glass.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...rom__40M_Hub_fund/srvc=business&position=also
Two downtown projects want a piece of a $40 million loan fund offered by the city of Boston, but a trio of other high-profile developments have yet to apply.

In an effort to jump-start commercial real estate construction in Boston, City Hall is offering commercial financing at low interest rates. Under the Boston Invest in Growth Fund, a Department of Housing and Urban Development-funded loan pool will provide Section 108 money to jump-start construction projects and create jobs.

The W, a $232 million hotel and condominium project near completion in the Theater District, is expected to apply for $10 million to fill a financing gap.

?In 2007, the financing model was to lease the unfinished ground floor space and the tenant would provide capital for the build-out,? said John Connolly, vice president of development at Sawyer Enterprises, W?s developer. ?But that model doesn?t work in this market.?
But the city has not heard from developers of three projects that Mayor Thomas M. Menino identified in his announcement, including the stalled Filene?s redevelopment, Fan Pier and the 30-story Residences at Kensington Place, a 346-unit rental housing project proposed for the city?s Theatre District.

- tgrillo@bostonherald.com

Looking at the last picture it looks like Rawn echoed the transportation building(worst building in boston!!!)

Looking at the last picture it looks like Rawn echoed the transportation building(worst building in boston!!!)

It's actually really nice on the inside. It's just the outside is this giant hulking beast.

Another artless box diminishes our city.

240-1.jpg

Wow, this pic really makes Boston look like a small emerging city in Eastern Europe. Complete with church, historic buildings, "commieblocks," and high-profile new development.

Another artless box diminishes our city.

It really depends on what angle your looking at it from. From down Stuart st it looks cool, and sort of tall for the immediate surroundings. From Across the Charles, yea its a little weak.

I would have to second Suffolk's observation. Driving down Stuart the building looks very impressive, and towers over its surroundings. I have not yet seen the building in person looking towards the the south, but I would have to agree that the building looks a wide/fat. However, I think we can all agree this building is a win because it covers an ugly parking lot that was there for years, and it should add some more vibrancy to the area when the project is complete since it will have a couple of bars and restaurants, ongoing traffic throughout most of the day (i.e. cabs, limos, etc..). That is what the theatre district needs to get back on its feet. By the way, I think the video screens added by the Wang and the Schubert (I think?) really help this district. I was driving through there today. It is a minor addition, but at least it feels like you are entering an entertainment district. Now, if only the site of the former Hub TicKet trailer can get built on.

Btw, this is my first post. Glad to be on board.

Welcome, and yes-I too agree with Suffolk's observation. From the above angle-it's nothing-just an "artless box." But from the street, at least from the pictures I have seen, it looks very impressive and may just be the jumpstart needed for the Theater District.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back