Whittier Choice Neighborhood | 1158 Tremont Street | Roxbury

The Whittier Projects are across the street from Northeastern's International Village. I wonder how much an influence Northeastern was in getting the city's scarce resources to rebuild Whittier rather than other decrepit housing projects across the city?

Whittier Choice and Tremont Crossing will turn this sad edge of their campus into an inviting neighborhood.

The Whittier Projects are across the street from Northeastern's International Village. I wonder how much an influence Northeastern was in getting the city's scarce resources to rebuild Whittier rather than other decrepit housing projects across the city?

Whittier Choice and Tremont Crossing will turn this sad edge of their campus into an inviting neighborhood.

Unless you have specific evidence, I doubt your suggestion of Northeastern influence is valid. The City has been working pretty aggressively to try to replace/rebuild old projects with better, more mixed income housing developments. Old Colony in Southie is in Phase 3 redevelopment. Hailey (formerly Bromley Heath) in JP is undergoing major reconstruction. McCormack in Southie is out for bids. There have been several design reviews for the massive reconstruction proposed in Charlestown.

All this is mitigated by the limited availability of federal funds, but there has been a lot of activity and creative financing worked out to make these happen. And most are nowhere close to Northeastern.

I suspect the city is doing this as part of their attempts to bring the whole Melnea Cass Blvd area up to date imo, northeastern students don't really have any reason to go in this direction currently anyway. Speaking of bringing the area up to date, there is an ongoing project to redesign Ruggles St, Tremont St and Melnea Cass Blvd and recreate them with complete streets in mind.

Ruggles St: http://keepbostonmoving.org/portfolio/ruggles-street/

Tremont St: https://www.boston.gov/departments/transportation/tremont-street-design-project
The part from Melnea Cass onward will be done by Tremont Crossing apparently but I assume it will follow the decisions made above

Melnea Cass Blvd: https://www.boston.gov/departments/transportation/melnea-cass-boulevard-design-project

I wish different projects would work together more for the greater good of a neighborhood. The only gripe I have with the Tremont crossing development is that the back and whittier st sides of the garage should have been wrapped with townhouses to tie it in better to the development next door. That way these whittier choice units dont just have a huge garage next door.

There are going to be some townhouses facing Whittier st from the Tremont Crossing development, and some affordable units as well, I just would have liked to see the garage better blended in to the neighborhood back there. Overall theyre both great projects though that drastically improve the area.

Last edited:
Unless you have specific evidence, I doubt your suggestion of Northeastern influence is valid. The City has been working pretty aggressively to try to replace/rebuild old projects with better, more mixed income housing developments. Old Colony in Southie is in Phase 3 redevelopment. Hailey (formerly Bromley Heath) in JP is undergoing major reconstruction. McCormack in Southie is out for bids. There have been several design reviews for the massive reconstruction proposed in Charlestown.

All this is mitigated by the limited availability of federal funds, but there has been a lot of activity and creative financing worked out to make these happen. And most are nowhere close to Northeastern.

No evidence. That's why I posted it as a question to ponder.

Whittier Choice from Whittier Street. I actually really like the color of the townhouses pre-painting. Hopefully the paint job is nice.
48674114657_0c96acf763_c.jpg

48673944206_2de62edf9b_c.jpg
48673944921_33a4af628d_c.jpg

What is the name "choice" all about?

For replacement lottery housing it looks good imo. Def an upgrade for the ppl who will be living here vs the worn down 50s public housing. Looks like its going to be a pleasant neighborhood with good transit access, and when tremont crossing comes good retail and entertainment options. Win.

Back