Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

^^Look at the map. The Pru is well within the 1000' zone, the CSC site is clearly in the 500' zone. By your logic, why even bother designating allowable height zones?

The scale of this proposal is similar to the Pru and Hancock Tower in Back Bay - it's twice as tall than most of the surrounding buildings. Now only if something like this will ever be built...

Would it be feasible to landswap this parcel with Chiofaro for the Harbor Garage? He wants to build tall and while Walsh seems receptive to the idea at Harbor Garage it still sounds like an uphill battle with residents. City could throw in a lot of tax relief as well to cover valuation differences between parcels.

The city could then resell or redevelop the garage as part of its waterfront vision and if they can get a good enough deal worked out, do it without requiring a 700 foot tower.

FAA is obviously a problem but it's not an all or nothing proposition. See the Bank of America Tower in Charlotte South Carolina. The FAA probably publishes extremely conservative guidelines. Practically speaking I don't know what kind of influence Chiofaro might have with our state senators or congressmen, but if he has any political capital he could spend it here and some senator or congrescritter could make an FAA bureaucrats life very unpleasant in order to get what he wants.

Would it be feasible to landswap this parcel with Chiofaro for the Harbor Garage? He wants to build tall and while Walsh seems receptive to the idea at Harbor Garage it still sounds like an uphill battle with residents. City could throw in a lot of tax relief as well to cover valuation differences between parcels.

The city could then resell or redevelop the garage as part of its waterfront vision and if they can get a good enough deal worked out, do it without requiring a 700 foot tower.

FAA is obviously a problem but it's not an all or nothing proposition. See the Bank of America Tower in Charlotte South Carolina. The FAA probably publishes extremely conservative guidelines. Practically speaking I don't know what kind of influence Chiofaro might have with our state senators or congressmen, but if he has any political capital he could spend it here and some senator or congrescritter could make an FAA bureaucrats life very unpleasant in order to get what he wants.

There is an abundance of naivete in the last paragraph.

The FAA's objection to Chiofaro's building height was that it blocked radar coverage. Chiofaro could build high if was willing to pay for a new terminal surveillance and weather radar at a different location. The FAA similarly stopped future tall building construction in Rosslyn Virginia, because of impeded radar coverage on the downriver approach into KDCA.

As for other talls, their location and height is determined by a set of standards. The standards can be read here.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2010-07-21/pdf/2010-17767.pdf

Practically speaking I don't know what kind of influence Chiofaro might have with our state senators or congressmen

Judging by the total stalemate over the Harbor Garage for the last 2-3 years, I'd say very little.

Heh. Might have had a few too many at the Tam when I wrote that.

got this off the newspaper on the T the other day

I have no idea what that is supposed to be.

It doesn't look like Boston

It looks like Trans National Place though with that distinct spire running up it.

and you can see One P.O. in all it's awkward blocky-ness

I can't remember where I saw it but a couple months ago either McDonalds, Dunkin or Taco Bell had an advertisement for Boston with Trans National in the background.

I'm not sure where the graphics artists they hire/contract are sourcing their stock Boston photography.

Somewhere, at some point, somebody made an image of a Boston skyline that included TNP, and now it's everywhere. I've seen so many "Boston skyline" art products that are just wrong. It pains me to think of anybody actually buying these and having a totally random skyline on their wall.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/1656861...to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

the bottom reflection matchs what u posted

Mayor Walsh is making some noise...

Mayor Walsh pledges to demolish city garage, revives development option with Belkin

A year after the Menino administration shuttered the city's crumbling Winthrop Square Garage in Boston’s Financial District — once the proposed site for a 1,000-foot tower — newly elected Mayor Martin J. Walsh said city money has been set aside to demolish the 435-space lot to make way for new development.

Following a speech at a Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce event Tuesday, Walsh said he is optimistic that Steven Belkin, the founder of Trans National Group in Boston and the one-time developer of choice for the garage site, might still be on board for the project.

“We will take the garage down and begin the process of looking for somebody,” Walsh said following the Chamber event. “There was some interest in it in the past and we’ve reached out to that developer to see if they are still interested ... I believe he still is."

Full article at the Bizjournal

Woo baby fire up that hype machine!!!

Anyone want to place a bet at what's going to go in it's place? I'll say a cheap stump no taller than the Fiduciary Trust Building down the street.

Sorry I'm just setting the bar as low as possible so that anything would surprise me.

The second try at Filene's got taller. Maybe TransNational can too.

At this point... maybe another tall residential? It's a beautiful spot for it, and right between DTX and South Station.

At this point... maybe another tall residential? It's a beautiful spot for it, and right between DTX and South Station.

I'd like to see a mix with 10 stories of hotel, 30 stories of office and 40 stories of residential.

Back