Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

B&T has posted a slideshow of the proposals with some slightly different renders/images. The architects are also all listed.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/gallery/winthrop/

Accordia is SHoP + Hacin, so well done DB!!!

HYM is Elkus

Lend Lease is Graziani + Corazza

Millennium is of course Handel

Fallon is HOK

Belkin is of course CBT

Trinity is TAT

I have edited my post with the renders to include the architects.

Graziani and Corazza have designed quite a few of the buildings in Toronto (Aura, 75 Mutual, Avani, Lago, etc...) I personally dont mind that style, so I am interested to see what they come up with here. Also if the retail podium mimics Aura, then it would provide 2 floors and 180k of retail space.

Depending on the design they may bring something interesting to the table.

Graziani and Corazza have designed quite a few of the buildings in Toronto (Aura, 75 Mutual, Avani, Lago, etc...) I personally dont mind that style, so I am interested to see what they come up with here. Also if the retail podium mimics Aura, then it would provide 2 floors and 180k of retail space.

Depending on the design they may bring something interesting to the table.

Another good thing about that Banker & Tradesman article is the Accordia proposal also lists Ares Management (http://www.aresmgmt.com/home) as a development partner. Ares Mgmt has a Commercial Real Estate arm, with over $11B AUM in its portfolio, which makes this proposal seem a lot more legitimate than it did before.

Perhaps the anchor tenant -- Watson Health
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2011/02/watson_and_the.html
Watson and the Future of Artificial Intelligence
Posted by Josh Rothman February 17, 2011 11:23 AM

The incredible, victorious performance of Watson, an IBM supercomputer, on Jeopardy! this week looks and feels like something out of science fiction. (As now-former champion Ken Jennings put it, writing out his answer to "Final Jeopardy" yesterday: "I for one welcome our new computer overlords.") But what does Watson's victory actually mean for the future of artificial intelligence? Writing at the Public Library of Science, John Rennie explains what Watson has achieved and what remains to be done.
6a00d8341c630a53ef014e5f445235970c-pi
Somesort of giant Watson-Health logo at the Top :cool:

Last edited:

I would assume a HQ building would need to be all or mostly office space. Many of these proposals are heavy residential and/or hotel. BAC (Bank of America) would need substantial space if they relocated from 100 fed (across the street) to this building if for global HQ consolidation.

Realistically, this tower will probably be occupied by workers already in Boston. Probably either a financial company relocating from another downtown building when there lease is up or maybe a growing biotech company seeking a prominent HQ.

Hmm. Can anyone confirm that BofA had offered to move its executives to Boston after it bought FleetBoston? I can't seem to find anything online but I know I read it at the time. (Although it may have been Mellon when it bought The Boston Company, IDK.)

Back in time: 1/25/2007

City's tallest tower clears first hurdle
By Thomas J Palmer, Jr., Boston Globe

Businessman Steve Belkin was designated by the Boston Redevelopment Authority today to build the city's tallest building.

The tower would be on the site of a parking garage in the Financial District.

Belkin has proposed an unusual 1,000-foot tower, perched on columns three stories above Federal Street, with a public park underneath, restaurants, and a gathering area called a town green.

Elevators on the outside of the glass building would whisk tenants and visitors skyward; atop the 80 stories would be a half-acre "look-out park."

"Boston's known for its revolution," Belkin told the BRA board. The building, he said, "will revolutionize skyscrapers. We?re actually creating green space ... We?re giving land back to the community."

Belkin made millions from a network of companies in the travel, financial, and communications businesses, and began plotting to build a tower more than a decade ago when he bought a commercial building adjacent to the city parking lot.

He has hired noted architect Renzo Piano, who spoke of the proposed building's "slender, slim" profile.

The BRA designation is the first hurdle. Belkin has pledged to begin construction in 2008 and finish by 2011.

His initial plans were enthusiastically endorsed by BRA board members. "It's very exciting for the city," said Consuelo Gonzales-Thornell.

Chairman Clarence "Jeep" Jones quipped, ?It seems so attractive what are you going to do when everybody in the city wants to be there at the same time?"

>> "Boston's known for its revolution," Belkin told the BRA board.

;-)

Looking at the article John posted makes me cry a little inside

You know what just made me cry a little inside? Reading 115 pages of archBoston comments about 115 Federal Street! Damn. That was exhausting.

Looking at the article John posted makes me cry a little inside

Ehh, it was a garbage tower that would have dominated the skyline for the rest of time. We dodged a bullet.

Once a final design/developer is selected I'm going to start a new thread and keep this as an archive.

O'Brien's/HYM's proposal, now that I read it includes $25m for a public school, has a very good shot and should probably be the front-runner.

dumb question: what's causing the different coloration of the Accordia tower: different materials or reflections caused by the spiral angling of glass panes?

Team Accordia

I think it is different materials not a reflection because it tapers so the top of the tower has nothing to reflect but the sky.

Back