Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

this is 100% heresay and i have nothing to back this up (i looked around online), but i was recently told by a fellow architecture nerd that, in all likelihood, they are *not* going to be lighting the crown on this thing.

If we could even achieve visible, such as a dimmed neon outline it would be a win.

Last edited:
Once again, apologies for the crappy cell phone pic, but vertical installation of the crane is in progress.
291664A2-8756-449D-AE63-E11E7185F96F.jpeg
BD7285ED-F684-4676-B38A-9F8D3F05883C.jpeg

Can’t wait to see this and SST tower cranes in the sky...will help visually anchor exactly where these pop up.

heh. not quite there just yet although i imagine i will be by the time SST actually gets underway.

Haha my bad...I meant SST “State street tower” lol. I didn’t understand the cynicism until I realized my mistake. I apologize but the crane for State Street Tower must be coming soon. What’s the acronym for that ?

Is that chunky, concrete building across the street that everyone was up in arms about losing when the "Tommy Tower" was proposed last decade? What is the architectural significance (serious question)?

Is that chunky, concrete building across the street that everyone was up in arms about losing when the "Tommy Tower" was proposed last decade? What is the architectural significance (serious question)?

I think you're referring to Paul Rudolph's Blue Cross Blue Shield Building:
Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Rudolph's Blue Cross/Blue Shield Building (133 Federal) is a highly innovative example of modernism. It was Rudolph's first tall building (a pivotal point in his transition from Mid-Century Modern houses to brutalism) and he didn't skimp on the slightest details, finding brilliant new ways to think about how building structure & skin can interact with & accommodate the building's MEP elements:

19-facade-ventilation-system.jpg

Can’t wait to see this and SST tower cranes in the sky...will help visually anchor exactly where these pop up.

When you stand in front of South Station,
you see exactly where the tower/s is going to rise,
and you see the big section of sky soon to be filled with
what appears as 2 nice skyscrapers (w/ the podium obscured from view)....
Add SST. These (3) will have a profound impact at South Station.
Walk toward PO Square: the big Downtown feel keeps going.
Walk to Chinatown, toward the MCD, or up Atlantic Ave,
in any direction: the big City feel keeps going.

Note the crane, generally where the East Tower will rise.
20191210_130533_Film1.jpg

20191210_130515_Film1.jpg

Last edited:
Is it A full Crane Sighting -- certainly not yet a full Tall Crane nesting in the upper reaches of Boston -- but -- a Haaaaahbingaaaaah of a Big Tall Crane -- Definitely (y)

Finally! Something to look at. It aint much, but its all up from here.. pun intended.

Back