Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you really didn't understand me..

My question is: what goes into creating maps like these? How does it get done? I have a hard time imagining that these perfect, 50ft step-up rings are a precise depiction of the space the FAA really needs versus a general approximation of that space.

People mention "one engine out" scenarios. How are those pathways for compromised aircraft determined or calculated? Is there an assumed starting altitude and angle of descent?

The reality is there is probably a more detailed map that developers can get access to if necessary. We have the one Massport has publicly made available. There are some quirks in that map fwiw, notably... the height lines on the southern chunk of the map are quite curvy and follow some curious paths which leads me to believe its somewhat political how it was constructed rather than purely technical.

I can't tell if you're being facetious or if you really didn't understand me..

My question is: what goes into creating maps like these? How does it get done? I have a hard time imagining that these perfect, 50ft step-up rings are a precise depiction of the space the FAA really needs versus a general approximation of that space.

People mention "one engine out" scenarios. How are those pathways for compromised aircraft determined or calculated? Is there an assumed starting altitude and angle of descent?

So, yes - I think they left about 10 feet or something trivial on the table vs. the FAA mandate. I think I pointed this out before, but, the BPDA/City on their RFP for the site was pretty shady with their height limit that was way above the FAA limit. If I recall, the FAA limit was known well in advance - going back to Menino's day calling a for a 1000' here, so I have no idea wth the City was doing. That said - I thought one of the driving reasons behind the height limit (in this area of the city, at least) was radar and interference. I somewhat recall (perhaps on the Menino call) it being thrown out there that maybe the developer could just way to move/install new radar, but it went basically no where.

DSC_0308.jpeg
DSC_0320.jpeg

Back