Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Completely disagree. What you are describing is a completely dead society, and most people don't want that.
Maybe so, but how many times do you order from amazon instead of patronizing your local businesses? That's the society we live in. Next, amazon will be using drones to deliver packages to our doorstep.

Ironic username aside, as a citydweller myself, I very frequently patronize my local businesses, whether they're a small wine shop or local CVS. Amazon is of course also in play, but density and urban agglomeration has value in itself. Back to the question at hand, the corporate lobby is definitely a downgrade from the renderings, but it has a few restaurants that will serve the 30 floors of offices and another 30 floors of residences. If they actually do remain open during the required hours, it'll be another small public space that won't be lifechanging. Certainly this could be better, but I don't think an emptyish corporate lobby spells the end of American urban society.

That's the point, DZ. The unrendered "fill the place with furniture" actually happened and it extinguished the civic dynamic of the "Great Hall". That existing hall now can hold far fewer humanoids with all that clutter - - and that is EXACTLY the point of management now.

They purposely threw obstacles in the way to DE-POPULATE that original render of the hall to make it far less dynamic and inviting for people to cut through. They sold it as one thing and then they proactively crumpled up the idea of it being a helpful pass-through for pedestrians and civic hall. They purposely turned it into a hotel lobby/salon. Because, God Forbid, Boston ever becomes a dynamic and lively city.

Are you arguing that putting out free public seating makes a space *less* usable by the public?

Maybe so, but how many times do you order from amazon instead of patronizing your local businesses? That's the society we live in. Next, amazon will be using drones to deliver packages to our doorstep.
I'm in agreement that society has gone through / is going through major changes, but I also believe we're not in the final chapter; things will continue to evolve based both on convenience as well as what people value. I agree with you that we're not going back to 1995. But I am honestly excited what may be possible for 2035, because I think things will settle out on some yet-to-be-seen state (I certainly don't want 1995, with big shopping malls with crammed parking lots and lots of waste).

To answer your question about my own tendencies: it hasn't been a linear trajectory. I certainly do online shopping like most people, but in seriousness, I patronize Amazon significantly less today than a few years ago. 2018 - 2021 was peak Amazon for me personally. As the pandemic receded, I (based on preference more than any sort of activism) substantially increased my engagement with local businesses. Frankly, I missed it. Including sitting at a neighborhood breakfast counter a day or two per week with my work and my mug of coffee. I actually do that more in 2024 than I was doing in 2018-2019. Like you, I love the flexibility that new ways of working have brought; it's just that for me and a lot of people, it hasn't meant totally withdrawing. If Boston's housing costs weren't completely insane, you'd see people living closer and hanging out more (I don't hold it against you in the least that a lousy commute precludes that. At the same time, I'd love to see commutes be way better in 2035 based on both transit improvements and housing availability. A guy can dream).

Are you arguing that putting out free public seating makes a space *less* usable by the public?

It all depends WHERE the seating is. Anyone with eyes can see the clogging up of that "Great Hall". Whoever was expecting to build Trump's wall with Mexico evidently got the contract to furnish this "Connector".

A pedestrian short cut through was the primary selling point to improving the urban experience . By throwing in all those obstacles (plaque in the artery) actually discourages people from using it. There are tons of building lobbies in Boston. Look at the picture.

Why do they put all the obstacles in the MIDDLE of the hall???? They could very easily have put seating, etc. on the sides.

They knew EXACTLY what they were doing by this action (and by not living up to the required by agreement public access hours and days as noted in the Globe article). They're being a bit too cute.

Last edited:
I agree with most of that, but if the model is entirely dead then how come so many “markets” are doing just fine in Boston and elsewhere? As per my earlier reply in this post, at precisely the time I took the picture that served as catalyst for this round of the conversation, High Street Place Food Hall (literally across the street) was VERY busy. How do you explain that with *only* points you put forth? Millenium promised something they didn’t deliver - but something other developers (who WANT to do so) clearly can do successfully.

Honest question, are all the food options open in Winthrop yet? How many are there supposed to be? High Street Place has been fully open for a while with half a dozen vendors and regular events. For instance, here's the immediacy:

1713544191982.png

So are we comparing a fully open food hall with an established clientele and regular event schedule to a not-yet-fully-open public space? It doesn't seem like it's an apples to apples comparison today, and probably won't be for at least a few more months. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have not gone inside Winthrop yet.

There might be one or two slots not yet open, but the slate of restaurants is called The Lineup and they're currently open and selling. It's not particularly inspiring, but covers the basics from coffee joint, Mediterranean spot, vegetarian place, etc. From what I see on the website everything closes at FOUR PM and they're only open M-F...which seems like a massive unforced error on their part. The burger joint lists beers on the menu, so I need to bail out of the office for a little day drinking if I want a burger and beer?

High Street is open at least 6 days a week and stays open pretty late, so it gets good traffic from the after work crowd. The weekend programming is pretty good too, and ranges from kid friendly events to boozy DJ drag brunches.

Anyways, the connector could compete much better if they just expanded their hours.

There might be one or two slots not yet open, but the slate of restaurants is called The Lineup and they're currently open and selling. It's not particularly inspiring, but covers the basics from coffee joint, Mediterranean spot, vegetarian place, etc. From what I see on the website everything closes at FOUR PM and they're only open M-F...which seems like a massive unforced error on their part. The burger joint lists beers on the menu, so I need to bail out of the office for a little day drinking if I want a burger and beer?

High Street is open at least 6 days a week and stays open pretty late, so it gets good traffic from the after work crowd. The weekend programming is pretty good too, and ranges from kid friendly events to boozy DJ drag brunches.

Anyways, the connector could compete much better if they just expanded their hours.
The Millennium Residences at Winthrop Center website seems to be engaging in some false advertising:

"• The Connector brings together Boston’s best music, art, and culture"

The Millennium Residences at Winthrop Center website seems to be engaging in some false advertising:

"• The Connector brings together Boston’s best music, art, and culture"

Change the word "brings" to "will bring" and it would buy them a little bit of time. I still contend that the usage will improve once the park is open, and then over the next few months as people start to adjust their habits and put this spot into their regular rotations.

Honest question, are all the food options open in Winthrop yet? How many are there supposed to be?
I have heard that a full service restaurant is in the works for the space and possibly a few more food hall type operations in the future.

Honest question, are all the food options open in Winthrop yet? How many are there supposed to be? High Street Place has been fully open for a while with half a dozen vendors and regular events. For instance, here's the immediacy:

View attachment 49773

So are we comparing a fully open food hall with an established clientele and regular event schedule to a not-yet-fully-open public space? It doesn't seem like it's an apples to apples comparison today, and probably won't be for at least a few more months. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have not gone inside Winthrop yet.

Placing all those bulky pods, sofas, desks, fortress walls takes up room that would otherwise be there to allow for greater amounts of humans (simply look at the photo in post #7,387 - but hey, at least they restrained themselves from using Jersey Barriers!) . It's patently obvious what the intention is.

But once again, the point is that "The Connector" was NOT primarily sold to the city and the public as being a food hall or entertainment venue, but a valuable connection/shortcut to make downtown more navigatable for humanoids making their way through a very dense (overbuilt/buildings close to each other) area of the city - or to gain shelter during rainstorms or hot sun days. It's a quality of life type of thing.

"......Anyways, the connector could compete much better if they just expanded their hours."

They.......don't........want.......to.

Their actions with this "Connector" or "Great Hall" is almost a protest against the city for having to do it. Their limited hours of operation and throwing up of obstacles throughout the hall (OBVIOUS from the pic in post #7,387)to limit the numbers of people using it is the equivalent of Marshawn Lynch's Super Bowl press conference:

But once again, the point is that "The Connector" was NOT primarily sold to the city and the public as being a food hall or entertainment venue, but a valuable connection/shortcut to make downtown more navigatable for humanoids making their way through a very dense (overbuilt/buildings close to each other) area of the city - or to gain shelter during rainstorms or hot sun days. It's a quality of life type of thing.

They can literally do that less than 100' away at 75-101 Federal, which has been available as a public cut-through for at least the last 20 years.

If you're talking about people gaining shelter, I think having some nice benches and couches to sit on is actually a positive thing and not a negative thing. Also, if people didn't have anywhere to sit and eat we'd be saying that it is unwelcoming from the perspective of being a food venue.

You can't sit and eat your meal on jersey barriers. So it's like, do we want people to cut through as fast as possible, or do we want people to linger in the space?

Last edited:
They can literally do that less than 100' away at 75-101 Federal, which has been available as a public cut-through for at least the last 20 years.

If you're talking about people gaining shelter, I think having some nice benches and couches to sit on is actually a positive thing and not a negative thing. Also, if people didn't have anywhere to sit and eat we'd be saying that it is unwelcoming from the perspective of being a food venue.

You can't seat and eat your meal on jersey barriers. So it's like, do we want people to cut through as fast as possible, or do we want people to linger in the space?

BOTH!!!!! The hall could walk and chew gum at the same time, DZ. There could be plenty of seating AND fluid area for walking. You keep making excuses for this obstacle course - - but why did they sell this as "The Connector" if you're now suddenly saying, 'yeah well 75-101 Federal.....'. People here were excited (and I don't remember anyone complaining at the time of any redundancy to 75-101 Federal that you now bring up) about what the Connector was promising. They sold it because they knew the city and its people wanted it. Now you're making excuses for the render lying along with the 4pm closings and the weekend lock outs. I'm sorry, but that's some serious pretzel twisting. But, yeah, it's tall.

Those chairs/fortress walls/desks, etc. dominating the middle of that "Connector" are obvious to anyone looking at post #7,387.

C'mon, where there is smoke there is fire. Obstacle placement in the Hall, getting rid of the rendered soaring arches, changing the color tomes from bright, lively/varied to muted beige/brown, the 4pm food closings, the weekend lock outs.........To most people reading this, it's obvious what the management of this building is doing and why.

Boston is a living city that should be different from Houston - - it should be dynamic, alive and world-class 24/7......not 9am-4pm M-F. It's something that doesn't show from a skyline hill view 5 miles away, but it is important for a world-class city, not some tall version of a Potemkin Village.

Last edited:
The Great Hall (later renamed "The Connector") was sold to the public as much more than a public passageway. Upon winning the bid and through 1.5 years of Millennium's dog-and-pony shows, the Great Hall was sold to the public as an exceptional, world class civic and cultural destination. Programming was the #1 priority. Deeply-subsidized stalls would be provided to local food vendors (not concepts by a single NY-based restaurant group). Large entrance doors would be removed during warmer months. The Great Hall was sold as an attraction that would bring new life to Winthrop Square, an area of downtown that had already been desolate for years. Raising inactivity around Winthrop Square post-COVID as an excuse for what's being provided is nothing short of an apologia for the routine failures of Walsh-era BPDA to convert commitments into obligations. Read the Management and Operations Agreement signed this year, through which BPDA Director Jemison was able to salvage whatever was possible; a far cry from what Millennium claimed it was delivering, even after being allowed to quietly dumb down the original vaulted ceiling design. Downtown could've benefited greatly from the Great Hall as it was presented. But as we've witnessed elsewhere on prime real estate, mediocrity reigned supreme.

Attachments

• GFb8GCVWAAA32Xt.jpeg
    GFb8GCVWAAA32Xt.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 12
People here were excited... about what the Connector was promising.... Now you're making excuses for the render lying along with the 4pm closings and the weekend lock outs. I'm sorry, but that's some serious pretzel twisting. But, yeah, it's tall.

I don't remember people still being "excited" by the time this was turned into the Connector. They were excited for the observation deck which didn't happen. They were excited for the Great Hall which didn't happen. But the Connector? It's meeting our expectations of being nothing special.

However, my "excuses" remain that I refuse to fully judge a space until it's fully finished and open. That includes the park that should enliven the area directly by the front door. I'll come check the place out during my favorite month, October, with the assumption that it will be ready for a proper "judgment" by then. Even then it will take a few visits at different times/days, to see how it feels with different sized crowds. It would also help to attempt the experience from the points of view of somebody wanting to stop for lunch, somebody wanting to use it for shelter, and somebody wanting to use it as a pure efficiency connection.

The tower itself is pretty good. Nothing amazing but no brutal elements either, with solid enough glass. It's timeless and inoffensive, and I love to see it lit up at night. It wasn't my top choice (Accordia) but since the FAA ultimately prevented it from reaching 700' every one of the proposed towers would have had to be cut down anyway. So I'm happy enough from that standpoint anyway.

I used to work a couple buildings over, right on Federal Street. I know the area well. If it can better activate Winthrop Square in particular it's already a win, and maybe then the crowds will also filter throughout and onto Federal. The jury is still out until we experience the actual finished product.

It's meeting our expectations of being nothing special.
Our expectations were "nothing special?" That's revisionist history in my view, even within the general theme of ArchBoston posts as I recall. The claim by Millennium and BPDA when the name changed was was that nothing about the function of the "Great Hall" as a signature civic/cultural destination had materially changed, only the design and dimensions.

Our expectations were "nothing special?" That's revisionist history in my view, even within the general theme of ArchBoston posts as I recall. The claim by Millennium and BPDA when the name changed was was that nothing about the function of the "Great Hall" as a signature civic/cultural destination had materially changed, only the design and dimensions.
Anybody with any design sense knew the Connector would never be the Great Hall (which could never exist in that site anyway) (regardless the BS pronouncements of Millennium). 1/3 of the Connector is dedicated to vertical height change ramps.

Anybody with any design sense knew the Connector would never be the Great Hall (which could never exist in that site anyway) (regardless the BS pronouncements of Millennium). 1/3 of the Connector is dedicated to vertical height change ramps.

And it barely is even a "Connector" - - they clogged the artery. Look at the render vs the reality. There's alot of massing in reality that never existed in that render. They put alot of effort into creating that traffic jam. Gov Christie would be proud.

Back