đź”· Open Thread

Somehow, this is the perfect picture coming from bostonbred.

Taking "air rights" to a whole new level:

Schlangenbader StraĂźe in Berlin is actually 1.5km long and is built directly on top of the Autobahn.

1064984_10152950807385456_1715518411_o.jpg

1002761_10152950807065456_1096700661_n.jpg

994817_10152950806695456_1871916216_n.jpg

1047876_10152950806355456_1537018642_o.jpg

Interesting, data. Reminds me a lot of Rudolph's unrealized plans for the Lower Manhattan Expressway:

That... is awesome! Meanwhile, we can't even build a single building of any goddamn size - big or small - over the Turnpike.

Not to go all neddy on you, but are there air quality issues living in it?

I am a 22 year old recent college grad with a degree in mathematics from a liberal arts college out of state. I post on this forum a decent amount and have always loved urban development. I'm back in the Boston area, in the midst of a job search and have no idea how to break into the field. Does anybody have any advice? I have web development experience at my previous job and am pretty much looking for any entry level opportunity.

EDIT: I apologize for the personal spam.

Last edited:
I am a 22 year old recent college grad with a degree in mathematics from a liberal arts college out of state. I post on this forum a decent amount and have always loved urban development. I'm back in the Boston area, in the midst of a job search and have no idea how to break into the field. Does anybody have any advice? I have web development experience at my previous job and am pretty much looking for any entry level opportunity.

Just PM'd you. =)

Hey, I'd say that's a perfect "Open Thread" kind of opening statement looking for an opening gig. Just so it migh resonate better here, When you say "the field" I'd say there are 3 parts:
1) Town/Regional planning, zoning, and traffic functions
2) Town/Regional transit, utilities
3) Business/analyst at a developer

Not to go all neddy on you, but are there air quality issues living in it?
It looks like its wrapped around the vent towers, so I'd rather be living there, and know the bad stuff is being "powered up" (shot skyward) rather than being one of the many who live along the "open cut" sections where it pollution could easily cling/linger.

It looks like its wrapped around the vent towers, so I'd rather be living there, and know the bad stuff is being "powered up" (shot skyward) rather than being one of the many who live along the "open cut" sections where it pollution could easily cling/linger.

Yup, a la Intercontinental Boston. The Big Dig's largest vent shaft is smack in the middle of the luxury hotel.

Hey, I'd say that's a perfect "Open Thread" kind of opening statement looking for an opening gig. Just so it migh resonate better here, When you say "the field" I'd say there are 3 parts:
1) Town/Regional planning, zoning, and traffic functions
2) Town/Regional transit, utilities
3) Business/analyst at a developer

I would love to get my foot in the door in any of those three. Probably the one that would suit me best would be "3) Business/analyst at a developer." But that's not to say I wouldn't love an opportunity in other areas. Do you know what's out there for a recent grad (with math skills)?

Why don't you do your own research? That's inevitably going to be a major component of whatever job you will eventually get. Find out who the players are, take a look at their websites and figure out if certain companies sound like a good fit for you then apply for every job that you can interpret yourself as being remotely qualified for.

Why don't you do your own research? That's inevitably going to be a major component of whatever job you will eventually get. Find out who the players are, take a look at their websites and figure out if certain companies sound like a good fit for you then apply for every job that you can interpret yourself as being remotely qualified for.

Sorry KMP, while you've been trolling around your mother's basement for all 16 years of your life, it turns out that in the real world asking for advice on a knowledgeable forum is far more effective "research" than shot in the dark Googling.

Get over yourself. I wouldn't consider most members of this board to be knowledgeable on things as elementary as taking a piss standing up let alone the world of commercial real estate.

Get over yourself. I wouldn't consider most members of this board to be knowledgeable on things as elementary as taking a piss standing up let alone the world of commercial real estate.
<headsmack> Standing up? Oh man, I gotta try that.

I am. I also figure that exploring all options and asking for help couldn't hurt. Thank you, though.

9249044916_33e93d28dc_c.jpg

Even if northeast HSR ever gets built, I hope they continue to run some Regionals by the old Shoreline; it's the highlight of the trip.

Kingston, Westerly, New London, and Old Saybrook are all pretty good ridership draws and will continue to get regional service. I would expect the current frequencies - Regionals every hour or two all day - to stay constant; even as more trains get drawn to any possible inland routing, Shore Line ridership will presumably continue to rise.

9249044916_33e93d28dc_c.jpg

Even if northeast HSR ever gets built, I hope they continue to run some Regionals by the old Shoreline; it's the highlight of the trip.

Do you think it's their highlight of their trip to the beach though? =/

*Non-railfans

Back