100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: Pier 4

Everyone also seems to be forgetting the silver line was designed to be converted to light rail when the crtical mass demands it. If they can figure out how to bridge the dewey square tunnel they can also connect it to the summer st concourse, which will give it orange and green line access. It wouldn't even have to be rail, a contnuation of the pedestrian concourse would suffice.

Davem - I've been looking very hard for a document that proves the piers transitway tunnel (seaport SL) was built to specs for eventual light rail conversion. Do you have anything?

Also, what do you mean by "when they figure out how to bridge the Dewey Sq tunnel" - I thought that was part of SL3 which they already had figured out before pulling the plug?

Davem - I've been looking very hard for a document that proves the piers transitway tunnel (seaport SL) was built to specs for eventual light rail conversion. Do you have anything?

Technically it was (or should) be built to Red Line standards or greater. But at any rate, if a bus can fit in the tunnel with overhead wire, then the Green Line should be fully capable of fitting.

Hasn't construction been underway for a couple months now?

I think you're thinking Waterside Place.

Great news about construction starting this week.

Construction on the pier has been in progress for several months. It has been focused on two areas. On the west side of the pier they have been working on infrastructure (sewer, water and utilities). They have also built the begining of the new road which will run from Northern Ave to the park at the end of the pier. On the west side they have been fixing the seawall (in places the pier had sunk several feet) and building docks along the repaired pier.
This weeks ground breaking is the first time they have actually started dedicated work to costruct the apartmant tower.

Hasn't construction been underway for a couple months now?

Construction on the pier has been in progress for several months. It has been focused on two areas. On the west side of the pier they have been working on infrastructure (sewer, water and utilities). They have also built the begining of the new road which will run from Northern Ave to the park at the end of the pier. On the west side they have been fixing the seawall (in places the pier had sunk several feet) and building docks along the repaired pier.
This weeks ground breaking is the first time they have actually started dedicated work to costruct the apartmant tower.

BeeLine thanks for passing on this information. Thanks also for all the fine photos you present on this board.

Globe article on the groundbreaklng.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/south_boston/2012/11/hold_developers_break_ground_o.html

^^^Large rendering for which I cannot get an image link, plus a site plan.

The tower’s units will be a mix of sizes, ranging from studios to three-bedrooms, and space will also be constructed to house close to 11,000 square-feet of retail space and 258 underground parking spaces. Thirty-two of the units will be deemed “affordable,” and 50 of the units will be innovation units, which are smaller, cheaper living spaces, according to the BRA.

This is the building that was changed from office to residential last December.

It seems the Boston.com has disallowed hotlinking. I'm surprised it took this long

1COGx.jpg

I like that they show the site plan as a Nolli Map.

Is it just me or does the rendering make it look like it is sitting on its own pier directly on the water?

Is it just me or does the rendering make it look like it is sitting on its own pier directly on the water?

You're 100% right, Palindrome.

Just check the Globe overhead map for the correct siting.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/assets_c/2012/11/Picture-121sitemap-88126.html

The tower rendering is a con job. There will be three other buildings built later on the Pier directly in front of this tower. The rendering falsely makes it look like it is at the end of its own pier. It isn't.

The rendering is a shameless (and sloppy) misrepresentation.

The existing Whiskey Priest and Atlantic Beer Garden, which are on their own pier, are seen in the foreground. That's what you're seeing. I don't think anything is misrepresented here.

Although, the more I look at it, the trees between the ABG and 100 Pier 4 would have to be coming out of the water. And they chopped off the roof deck of ABG. So, yeah, pretty sloppy. Never should have defended it.

Although, the more I look at it, the trees between the ABG and 100 Pier 4 would have to be coming out of the water. And they chopped off the roof deck of ABG. So, yeah, pretty sloppy. Never should have defended it.

I see what you're saying though. At first glimpse to me it looked like whiskey priest was the actual ground floor of the building. I didn't even notice it.

Shouldnt the pool be facing the ocean? ....and shouldnt it be indoors?

The pool faces the afternoon sun, and being on the street-side, there will be some privacy. Other new buildings will be on the ocean side. An ocean side pool would be in shadows and with an east wind...........

Back