100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: Pier 4

I noticed a huge section (2/3?) of the parking lot infront of the ICA was roped off. Anything set to begin?

I walked by that yesterday morning. If you match it to the master plan and recent news it would appear that is the site for the new office/hotel building that law firm Goodwin Proctor has signed on for as anchor tenant.

I have not seen any design plans for that building or the condo building in front of Vertex facing the water. Has anyone else? IIRC, the Vertex buildings had to get BRA approval even though the master site plan was OK'd.

IMG_20130630_135639_zpsa021d305.jpg

IMG_20130630_135537_zpsfc378166.jpg

IMG_20130630_135635_zps6c3b6f24.jpg

IMG_20130630_135506_zps61bcd819.jpg

IMG_20130630_135501_zpse2264c0d.jpg

IMG_20130630_135456_zps88cf3145.jpg

That's an awfully deep hole considering how close it is to open ocean. Yowza!

I have always wondered how buildings so close to the ocean keep water out of their basements. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to drill a few caissons or pylons (whatever they are called) down to bedrock and anchor the floors above sea level to them? Are buildings with basements this close to the ocean constantly pumping salt water out?

What I have seen in past projects was a double bathtub basement with an outer slurry wall, a gap (with pumps to remove water when needed), and the internal foundation wall.

I know the company I'm at now did the master water removal system for the entire site, but it was well before I got here. So, not entirely sure on this site what the deal is. I do know the concrete is F'n thick over there.

What I have seen in past projects was a double bathtub basement with an outer slurry wall, a gap (with pumps to remove water when needed), and the internal foundation wall.

I know the company I'm at now did the master water removal system for the entire site, but it was well before I got here. So, not entirely sure on this site what the deal is. I do know the concrete is F'n thick over there.

I agree Seamus. That's what I'm expecting this will be.
One of the reasons the Big Dig suffered from water infiltration was that they eliminated the second "bathtub" to save money. So the external slurry walls ended up being the foundation to the tunnel.

I enjoyed Anthony's the couple times I've eaten there. My dad and grandparents have lots of stories about eating there in the summers they'd come up to visit Massachusetts.

Maybe the archboston community could have a dinner there later this month before the place closes. Anyone interested?

My favorite story from Anthony's: After a grueling 2-day bar exam at the wtc myself and classmates decided to treat ourselves to a celebratory splurge dinner and drinks at Anthony's Pier 4. After all, we were all well on our way to riches and prestige, soon-to-be minted attorneys. Passing the bar was looked on as a ticket to a better life for ourselves and our young families. As we sat down to eat, our server approached us, a familiar-looking face, full tuxedo in tow, champagne towel and white gloves, the Anthony's standard. It was only after he left that we realized that he was one year our senior out of law school, a top student in his class, now a waiter. This was a profoundly sobering moment for all in attendance, a reflection of a seismic societal shift that we found ourselves in the middle of.

^I feel bad for the people in the law profession. There are way too many schools that are graduating new students every year and not enough jobs for everybody.

I don't like how in nearly every rendering of a proposal in this area, it shows a dock right in front of the ICA. This would destroy the intention of its digital media lounge and its pure view of the water. This is one of my favorite things about the ICA.

2528679935_e14913ffb6_z.jpg

I don't like how in nearly every rendering of a proposal in this area, it shows a dock right in front of the ICA. This would destroy the intention of its digital media lounge and its pure view of the water. This is one of my favorite things about the ICA.

2528679935_e14913ffb6_z.jpg

Thanks for bringing attention to this issue. I've noticed it as well and had the same concern. The whole concept of that media lounge is that the view is horizonless and simply of water. The docks would ruin that.

With that said, the media lounge gives a lot of people vertigo/makes them feel sick (because of the fact there is no horizon).

^Are you sure that it's not because your staring at a bunch of Macs? (Boo-ya!)

^Are you sure that it's not because your staring at a bunch of Macs? (Boo-ya!)

Not to derail this too much, but the ICA (somewhat) recently just addressed the issue of there being too many Macs by cutting them down to only 2 per row. I think there's like 8 total in that room now compared to 16 when it opened. It opens up the room tremendously and leads you to focus on the framed view as art instead of the Mac screensavers.

I can also see a counter argument to the docks issue being that there still won't be a horizon and the view will still be perfectly framed, but with docks and boats coming and going creating live artwork (even performance art? maybe?) of a sort.

That is such a "NIMBY" argument from the anti-"NIMBY" board. (I quote it because I loathe using the term..)

No offense to anyone. But, find something legit to complain about. Then again personally I'd rather see a popping and hopping harbor than "pure water". Not that actually looking in that direction will be "pure water" in the lower rows. The ones I'd rather be in.

The quiet movement of boats would be quite lovely in comparison to quiet water. I love quiet water, but that's what a trip to Maine's lakes region is for.

That is such a "NIMBY" argument from the anti-"NIMBY" board. (I quote it because I loathe using the term..)

No offense to anyone. But, find something legit to complain about. Then again personally I'd rather see a popping and hopping harbor than "pure water". Not that actually looking in that direction will be "pure water" in the lower rows. The ones I'd rather be in.

The quiet movement of boats would be quite lovely in comparison to quiet water. I love quiet water, but that's what a trip to Maine's lakes region is for.

I want to argue with this, but I can't. This is kind of exactly the argument we all hated when those artists made it about Pike decking blocking their natural light.

I agree with this as well, which is why I'm actually leaning toward the counter argument now. I kind of sold myself on it. The docks will bring life and activity to that immediate area, but also into the whole Seaport District and the results of this as far as the ICA's framed views is that the artistic views will be forever changing and moving. It's a win-win.

Back