11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: One Bromfield (28-story DTX tower) | 1 Bromfield Street | Downtown

Noooooooooooo! :(

^^^^ Ditto!

I'm at least curious to see what a revised and new proposal would look like...

I'm at least curious to see what a revised and new proposal would look like...

One Franklin came back as Millennium Tower, so we shall see and remain hopeful!

One Franklin came back as Millennium Tower, so we shall see and remain hopeful!

Exactly this could be a good place to get a decent slim tower.

What's the problem here? (statler and toby) I don't remember what the objections were.

Human-scaled cluster of pre-war buildings being replaced with either soul-less modern box or faux-cluster-of-pre-war-buildings hiding another soul-less modern box. Something to that effect.

Edit: No one is claiming the build being replaced are historic or great architecture, but they are perfect for that corner and personally, I've never seen a post-war building that would be better for that spot.

I could go on about "fine grained neighborhood texture" and so forth! But I'll put it this way. I like Bromfield because it is a cranky little street of camera shops, coin stores, and watch repair shops. I go out of my way to walk along it.

I don't want it to become Avery Street. I don't see any high rise adding to the ambiance.

I like Bromfield for the reasons that I dislike Avery. But I can excuse Avery's banality for several reasons, not the least being that it never had as much going for it as Bromfield.

I could go on about "fine grained neighborhood texture" and so forth! But I'll put it this way. I like Bromfield because it is a cranky little street of camera shops, coin stores, and watch repair shops. I go out of my way to walk along it.

I don't want it to become Avery Street. I don't see any high rise adding to the ambiance.

I like Bromfield for the reasons that I dislike Avery. But I can excuse Avery's banality for several reasons, not the least being that it never had as much going for it as Bromfield.

Totally agree... ther is real texture and fabric to Bromfield.

I say no thank you to a new tower replacing those buildings at that location too.

This is one of those "has the potential to be the single most destructive redevelopment in Boston at a given time" redevelopments. Like 20 Somerset Street (Suffolk's crap building in place of the MDC) or Emerson's annihilation of Boylston Place have been recently ... or Government Center and the West End once were, on grander scales.

You just hope it lies dormant for eons, like Barbarossa in his mountain hermitage.

Why do people keep "clutching the pearls" about Bromfield St. for this upcoming project? Yes, the tentative branding/name is 1 Bromfield St., but do you honestly think the project is going to be Bromfield-centric, rather than Washington St.-focused?

It would be insane for the developers not to focus the project's center of gravity/mass onto Washington St., instead of Bromfield. Yes, of course, the Payless building and the City Sports building will be demolitioned. The City Sports building is monumentally sterile and boring, although I respect the concerns for the Payless building, which is kind of charming in its own way.

Again, though, I have to think that 90% of the mass or "face" of this tower is going to be thrust in the direction of Washington St. I doubt there'd even be an entrance on the Bromfield St. side...

... Anyway, I think all can agree that speculation is premature until renderings are released, which I'm sure will be soon.

I always love it when people throw out the "clutching the pearls" ad hominem.

I walk Bromfield every day. I know it well enough to believe that any design that has a skyscraper on Bromfield will likely be a bad design unless the design has an invisibility cloak.

I am usually in agreement with general consensus on this forum but in this instance I am not. The city sports, Payless, children's corner, att buildings look like shanties and make that corner feel run down. There's no uniformity between them, different heights and facades, I would knock them down myself if I could.

The building at 380 Stuart st is a million times nicer looking but doesn't get half the fanfare...I just don't get it.

I think this project is a vital missing piece to truly transform DTX.

Slim, tall tower for that corner to compliment the MT across the street with main entrance on Washington Street. Presently, I agree that the corner is hideous and needs to be redeveloped with an exciting, quality driven building. Can't imagine spending millions on a condo in MT and having to look over or down at Payless shoe, etc......

Why do people keep "clutching the pearls" about Bromfield St. for this upcoming project? Yes, the tentative branding/name is 1 Bromfield St., but do you honestly think the project is going to be Bromfield-centric, rather than Washington St.-focused?

It would be insane for the developers not to focus the project's center of gravity/mass onto Washington St., instead of Bromfield. Yes, of course, the Payless building and the City Sports building will be demolitioned. The City Sports building is monumentally sterile and boring, although I respect the concerns for the Payless building, which is kind of charming in its own way.

Again, though, I have to think that 90% of the mass or "face" of this tower is going to be thrust in the direction of Washington St. I doubt there'd even be an entrance on the Bromfield St. side...

... Anyway, I think all can agree that speculation is premature until renderings are released, which I'm sure will be soon.
I am usually in agreement with general consensus on this forum but in this instance I am not. The city sports, Payless, children's corner, att buildings look like shanties and make that corner feel run down. There's no uniformity between them, different heights and facades, I would knock them down myself if I could.

The building at 380 Stuart st is a million times nicer looking but doesn't get half the fanfare...I just don't get it.

I think this project is a vital missing piece to truly transform DTX.

I completely agree with both of you. I work in DTX and walk up Bromfield a couple times a week to get pizza (or other Italian deliciousness) at Rico. There's really nothing special about the street. It's just left over grit from the old Boston, with tons of commercial vehicles (namely contractors) parked illegally on it that get tickets every day and an extremely narrow sidewalk.

Can't imagine spending millions on a condo in MT and having to look over or down at Payless shoe, etc......

The city sports, Payless, children's corner, att buildings look like shanties and make that corner feel run down.

With all due respect, fellas, it doesn't sound like the pro-preservation side is doing the "pearl clutching" here.

(Not trying to be ad hominem, and I understand your perfectly justifiable desires to make DTX a nicer place ... I just don't think replacing a very stolid, attractive old building - the sort of place that makes Boston what it is, as opposed to Any 21st Century City USA - with something that will indubitably be a trendy "of the moment" design built with cheap materials, enriches the city or improves DTX.)

Pre war buildings are being actively being renovated in downtown crossing into hotels, restaurants, bars etc. With MT tower going up, etc., I don't foresee that Payless Shoe store, the vacancies as being there there in perpetuity. I'll admit the current condition of those buildings on this corner is less than ideal. If the proposed building was simply replacing the children's place building and leaving the corner building in place I'd probably be in favor, but it's short sighted to condone parcel consolidation,demolition of multiple buildings and then replacing with what will likely be a very middling new building. That is not the best path forward for downtown crossing. Independent bar, restaurant and retail operators have always and will continue to gravitate primarily to the smaller/older/less expensive buildings/storefronts all over downtown.

Toby -- I used to like Bromfield Street when it had the camera shops, pen shops and watch repair places -- but those are mostly gone with the rise of Amazon and Iphones

Now it just seems run down and ready for some serious revitalization -- a slim tower right on Washington with a nice human sidewalk interface both to Washington and Bromfield might be a stimulant for the rest of the street to rise again

Back