691 Mass Ave | South End

Re: 691 Mass Ave

^Thanks for the photographic update, looks like it's coming along well.

It's nice to see a building just make sense. The scale is right, it fills the site and maintains the street wall. It dosn't need to be any more complicated than that.

is there a reason for the blue vs. the yellow in that pic? i cant seem to find a pattern.

Blue is the weatherproofing membrane (which they're now applying) whereas the yellow is insulation.

ahh that makes sense... just doesn't look like it is being done in any sort of order.

from the pictures, it looks like the waterproofing is following the window receptors..i could be wrong ...anyways...it will be all blue soon, pattern or no pattern....it is just a functional thing...not for aesthetics...it would be interesting to see when the terracotta panels go up the facade...

We've got windows! Shouldn't be too long before we see the exterior finish.
691_mass_ave_jan_2011_2.jpg

Since I never add anything and this place is going dead...(only cell phone pix)

I thought it was going to be lighter?

What is that, anyway, precast terra cotta, 45 Province St. style?

Terracotta is the new fad. Too bad that everyone is specifying the same color and block size. It really is a lovely material with many variations; if only the architects had a bit more imagination.

To be fair, in the sunwashed rendering, the facade is close to the same color as the brick victorian townhouse to the north. In reality (per Suffolk's pics), they appear to be the same color as well.

the scanned washed-out newspaper copy is quite misleading and the photos are in shadow too.this rendering from their sales site is probably closer to the color they want. i am sure the choice of materials was the result of the constraints made by landmarks and BRA on the sizing, color and type of materials. it is unfair to say that the architects was just following the fad of using terracotta.

HOME_01.jpg

The color and scale remain contextual while the design yields subtle modern elements. I think this will turn out well.

Is there only one door for the entire building or does each unit have its own door like its neighbors?
Terracotta might be a fad, but its a good fad: matches the existing palette, but isn't fake brick. I agree that varying the slab sizes would be welcome.

There is one entrance for all the upper level units. The building will have what the developer is calling soho or small office/home office on the ground level. There will be a separate entrance for each ground floor unit that can be all residential or commercial. The neighborhood, talked him into having entrance canopies at each entrance.

Back