Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

In addition the fact it is no longer a circle is detrimental to the intersections landmark status, and navigability by every mode of transit that passes through there. If ever a rotary should be brought back it is here, with a grand fountain in the middle.

Would a rotary improve the pedestrian experience here? I never liked this intersection when I lived near here because it requires two or three steps to cross the thing. Also, it's too bad that the really nice clock there is in the middle of a median island, where few people stop to look at it. Comparatively, the clock in Washington Square is next to the T stop.

^ If the clock were to be removed, I'd hope for some other focal point in the center.

Obelisk, anyone?

Interesting in the renders they have the traffic light/street light all into one post.

That is actually a brilliant idea, the traffic through the area could be handled by a rotary, but how would you propose connecting the B-C-D lines through a rotary?

As far as I know the tracks have always been about where they are now. When it was a rotary they simply cut through the whole thing.

I don't see though why the T could go around a rotary however, the curve radius is light and I would assume it would be traffic light controlled

Don't get too excited now but here's the new CVS in Allston:

7789609282_0da5697e29_b.jpg

Worst New Development 2012...would it be that hard to ban strip mall developments within the city of Boston?

That and the weird out-of-place Burger King parking lot make for a strange combination in Allston.

I'm still kicking myself for not talking to the owners about reforming this strip mall lot when I had the chance to meet them.

years ago I had to go to the photo place everyday for work that was there for ever,digital must have closed them out also!

Revised plan calls for 181-room hotel, 82 luxury apartments, retail, offices in Cleveland Circle

By Matt Rocheleau, Town Correspondent

A developer expects to file plans today with city officials in Boston to build a 181-room Hilton Garden Inn hotel and 82 luxury apartments along with space for office, retail, restaurant and parking uses in a five-story building in Cleveland Circle.

The mixed-use building, revised substantially from original plans presented more than a year ago, would be constructed across two sites, replacing an existing Applebee’s restaurant on one site in Boston’s Brighton neighborhood and the abandoned Circle Cinema on the other parcel that straddles the Brighton-Brookline border, according to John Meunier, project manager for Boston Development Group.

The 236,500 square-foot building would include 19,000 square feet of medical office space and 14,200 square feet of ground-floor retail and restaurant space, he said. The project would include 141 parking spaces in a garage below the building along with 87 other parking spots in surface lot behind the building.

The apartments would be a mix of one and two-bedroom units, according to a summary of the detailed plans expected to be submitted to the Boston Redevelopment Authority Wednesday.

All of the housing would be built in Brighton; all of the office space would be on the Brookline side. Portions of the other uses would be built in each of the two municipalities, including at least 40 hotel rooms in Brookline.

Those staying in the hotel portion and those living in the apartments will each have access to an indoor pool and fitness center, Meunier said.

Contingent on getting approval from both Boston and Brookline officials, the developer hopes to start an 18-month construction process in spring 2013, according to the project manager.

Under previous plans for the 2.5 acres of property, the developer proposed building a 180-room hotel with retail, restaurant, office and parking space, but without any residential use. The project was originally slated as a two-phase endeavor with the cinema site being redeveloped first and followed later by work on the restaurant site.

In the latest plan, housing will take up space previously eyed for office use. And, the developer now plans to build the project in one construction phase.

The developer has also retained a new architect, ADD Inc.

Through Boston’s large project review process, the city’s redevelopment authority held a community meeting about the prior proposal last May. Then, the chief concern among residents – from Brookline, Brighton and nearby Newton – was that the development might not live up to its full potential if it were designed as two separate sites and phases instead of one. Some also said they wanted the project to include some residential use.

One month later, developers cancelled development of the second, smaller site and announced they would submit a new, one-site proposal to the city after the deal to acquire the Applebee’s site at 381 Chestnut Hill Ave. fell through due to looming deadlines in the approval process and differences on the deal’s price.

But, in early November, the Boston Development Group was able to negotiate and sign a deal with a trust that owns the Applebee’s site.

The restaurant chain’s lease expires in May 2014, but it is not clear whether the Applebee’s keep operating there through the duration of its lease or move out so construction could start sooner.

The theater next door closed in 2008 after a 68-year run. The other site has addresses of 375 Chestnut Hill Ave. in Boston and 399 Chestnut Hill Ave. in Brookline.

To read more on past community meetings concerning the Brookline side of the proposed development, click here and here.

E-mail Matt Rocheleau at mjrochele@gmail.com.
--
For the latest Allston-Brighton updates:
Follow @YourAllstonBri on Twitter, here.
And connect via Facebook by clicking the “Like” button on the top right hand corner of the Allston-Brighton homepage, here.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news..._calls_for_181-roo.html?comments=all#comments

The design is shit, but the massing, street level presence, and the liveliness it will bring to the corner: hell yeah! Its a shame its not better looking considering the waterworks buildings and BC it could pull inspiration from.

As for the strip mall, its kind of cool looking. Certainly better than the ghetto burned out hulk it was. I really don't know why if they are putting so much money into the site they just didn't demo and start over though.

I have no qualms about the proposal, which really seems to build the site out to its full potential. Very happy about this.

I just don't think anything on this site will help Cleveland Circle all that much. This is a fairly far-flung corner of the intersection - back when the cinema was there I never noted too much interaction between the cinema and the retail row on Chestnut Hill Ave or Beacon Street outbound. There's just too much empty space and too many car lanes between one corner and the other. In architectural parlance, there's no cohesive "room" here that creates a sense of place. I wish this project went hand-in-hand with a general streetscape upgrade, but I also wish that the city (Boston?) could sell the wasted parking ring on the southwest quadrant of the circle for development... just that alone would bound the space a lot better and stitch together a more walkable and urban square.

Don't get too excited now but here's the new CVS in Allston:

You guys just know you are going to be jealous when it's all done and... and... CVS-ey.

Hey, I'm genuinely curious to know what people's general opinions are: would you rather see a site like this stay abandoned in the hope that a developer with an awesome plan comes along someday, or would you rather see some dumb but at least operational use come out of the building? I guess another way of putting the question is, does for example the CVS redevelopment cause more long-term good by providing some current use, or long-term harm by removing the opportunity for a better use?

My own thought is that there is some kind of time continuum at which those lines cross - obviously if a better plan were to come along in a year, you'd be dumb not to want to wait for it. However if it sat vacant and rat-infested for 20 years... I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have a CVS.

Thoughts?

- Chris

The lot seems to be cursed or something. Everything that goes into it fails.

Curious to see what happens to CVS. Maybe if that fails the owners will get a clue.

CVS needed to put a store in there since Walgreens opened up a brand new store a couple of years back.

Back