Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

It's not "Trickle Down Economics TM", it's supply and demand. He just chose to use those words.
I knew what he meant (and I think Equilibria does to).
"Hand me down" is probably the better phrase to explain how fancy apartments eventually become affordable (as fully discussed in the affordable housing thread). 1995's luxury is now starting the decline into affordability.

This is supposed to get up to 250' tall IIRC.
Yes, but I'm glad I'm not alone in being surprised how tall they are.

I suspect they always looked smaller in the renders,both because the towers' height was masked by sitting in/on structured parking and because we mostly saw helicopter-views, not street level ones.

ARPHS.jpg
nice pic just drove by there will post pics in a bit I like urs better than any of mine though :)

What are the cores on the left? How many buildings are going up at once here?

The 4 cores you see are grouped:

Two cores, still being built on the left in construction photos, immediately upthread serve the half of the building nearest the T (on the left in the photo below)

Another two cores (which are topped out) are on the right both upthread and below, and serve the half of the building closer to Home Depot.

I also see now why we didn't think the building tall: they've used that Vegas-hotel trick of grouping 4 windows together (spanning two floors) into what looks like one macro window. It makes the 10 "office" floors atop the podium read as 5 stories. That and the fact that it sits on a tall podium of retail and a ground-floor-in-the-air that opens onto the grassy rooftop lawn.

20141203-033738.jpg

In total:
2 tall floors of retail
1 "main office floor" (the first that spans the internal roadway)
10 "regular" office floors
Mechanical penthouse on top

Last edited:
what's that cool green thing in the bottom of the third pic labeled "not art"? looks fenced off so doesnt seem like a "public" sculpture...

This is supposed to get up to 250' tall IIRC.

I think that figure is for the apartment tower closer to the T station that should be opening soon. I don't know the exact height figures on Partners but it's probably closer to 150-200', though in terms of sq footage it will be bigger. It just looks bigger because it towers over everything else in the area.

^^^^ sounds about right. 2 levels of tall retail = 40 feet total.
10 storeys of office 13-15 feet each = 130-150' Maybe 190'.
Single penthouse level = maybe 20 feet.

I'll say 190-210'. But, 250' sounds a little high yes.

That said. It looks better in that rendering above than I remember.

edit - oops. Missed a floor. So. getting closer to 250', with a tall office floor to start, if they do that.

Mmmmm terminating vistas... It'll be fun to see how these views evolve.

Looks like the last three photos are from Putnam Road in Ten Hills; is this visible from Winter Hill, as well?

The 4 cores you see are grouped:

Two cores, still being built on the left in construction photos, immediately upthread serve the half of the building nearest the T (on the left in the photo below)

Another two cores (which are topped out) are on the right both upthread and below, and serve the half of the building closer to Home Depot.

I also see now why we didn't think the building tall: they've used that Vegas-hotel trick of grouping 4 windows together (spanning two floors) into what looks like one macro window. It makes the 10 "office" floors atop the podium read as 5 stories. That and the fact that it sits on a tall podium of retail and a ground-floor-in-the-air that opens onto the grassy rooftop lawn.

20141203-033738.jpg

In total:
2 tall floors of retail
1 "main office floor" (the first that spans the internal roadway)
10 "regular" office floors
Mechanical penthouse on top

Thanks for the info.

Jeebus, look at the surface area of the top of that complex - - you telling me they couldn't put a solar array on that?

Last edited:

Back