Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

Re: Atlantic Wharf (formerly Russia Wharf)

Took some time today to do a walk-through of the public areas. A couple of observations:

The building on the Greenway (530 Atlantic) is completely separate from the rest of the complex - no way into that building from the tower lobby or waterfront end - perhaps something underground, but nothing obvious to me. I'm interested to see how the Greenway side will be handled - they left in the stairs and are installing railings on those staris on that face, but not sure how that would work with ADA issues, the main entrance to this building appears it will be square in the middle of the Greenway side.

The lobby to the tower is nice and airy, neat little art exhibit (280 Congress). A second lobby (290 Congress) is closer to the waterfront - not sure what this will become.

The garage entrance on Congress is much less intrusive/obnoxious than I expected.

Depending on how they do the retail spaces, this could be a huge boon to the waterfront.

What a fun game...Wish we came up with this during the development lull last year...

Speaking of Milton, who would he be? I'm guessing the Hurley Building...

The Hurley's too edgy to be Milton, though like him, it gets no respect at all...

Here's my submission for Milton:
SuperStock_4039-8845.jpg

Last edited:

Is that something new behind the federal reserve?

Drive through vehicle screening facility prior to garage entry.

They sure ruined the folk-art charm of the Hood Building with that corporatized sign and conventionalized siding. No longer really an objet trouve. Just another building with a slightly weird shape. Don't we have enough of those already?

^ what building are you talking about? the milk bottle? it hasn't been brought up here for months....

Wow, great pictures....this building does look great. Definitely one of the best buildings built in Boston in the past few years

So why do you architect snobs hate this building again?

is it hated? I love it, I am an architect though not a snob.

this building is the brightest thing on the skyline, at least from East Boston's perspective.
sky6z.jpg

Beautiful photo. Welcome to the forum.

Atlantic Wharf has drawn mixed reviews among us. Our main gripe is the grid that employs the colossal order. Other than that, it's been generally well-liked. I wouldn't say you should read all 105 pages of this thread, but I'd suggest you start at page 80 and read up to the current. That will give you a good survey of the climate.

Great pics - made me dizzy!

quick pic i took of the View from friends corner office 1 fed. 5/12/11

IMAG0528.jpg

Whenever I see the Verizon building I always think how great it would look with a slender glass tower on top.

Some thought about the top would make sense for this beautiful building.

That weird metallic box makes the building look like the robot sitting in the front row of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Or a wedding cake.

That weird metallic box makes the building look like the robot sitting in the front row of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

HAHA Wow you are right. It's totally sitting there judging the other buildings.

More pictures of parks! Though this one isn't much to look at.

5806094751_4da2320f35_b.jpg

5806096027_6b1bcb351d_b.jpg

5806097101_8f7097bbee_b.jpg

5806098231_33f3437e7c_b.jpg

5806099405_1d0f8c9b8a_b.jpg

5806664676_9ef9305a4d_b.jpg

5806665940_6f2f419229_b.jpg

5806667020_b68a7f7d25_b.jpg

And now on to the lobby...

5806668932_754e182dec_b.jpg

5806670160_561f2d1c86_b.jpg

5806107243_97ccfe5166_b.jpg

5806108549_2b98abe82a_b.jpg

5806673972_bbd2f26e09_b.jpg

Last edited:

Best new development 2011? Not that there's much to compete with so far...

It seems really interesting, but perhaps not so much engaging.

Is that plywood in the first pic? What happened there?

Back