Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

Re: Nashua Street Residences (North Station)

It's perfectly contextual! (When the context is the Tip O'Neil building and the Garden.)

I hope that whoever made this film isn't in charge of the construction of the project

Why does CBT keep getting work?

6cae88_112012nashua.1.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1061176165

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...nces NPC/Nashua Street Residences NPC_NPC.pdf

What I would like to know is: why do they have to take another full year before they start construction? In other cities, they announce a building and then start construction 6 months later. In Boston, we are lucky if they start within 6 years.

The amount of dedicated bike storage, along with the designated 'bike repair' area is predictably laughable. What are the chances that more than 10% of this building's tenants will actually own and use a bicycle on a daily basis for their transportation needs?

What I would like to know is: why do they have to take another full year before they start construction? In other cities, they announce a building and then start construction 6 months later. In Boston, we are lucky if they start within 6 years.

I'd guess they're probably holding off on the prospect of the economy, and thus the real estate market shitting the bed.

1120-nashua-street-residences-skyline-rendering-1-550.jpg

1120-Nashua-Street-Residences-south-elevation-315.jpg

1120-Nashua-Street-Residences-pedestrian-arcade-rendering-looking-south-550.jpg

1120-Nashua-Street-Residences-pedestrian-arcade-looking-north-550.jpg

Some more pics from BBJ

We all know what's going to happen and it's a damn shame. This project has been revisted so many times that it won't actually happen until 2015 and the 415" foot is scaled back to somewhere around 240-310 feet in which the original design will look absolutely nothing like what's going up.

imagine what that area will look like if all the slated projects get underway

The amount of dedicated bike storage, along with the designated 'bike repair' area is predictably laughable. What are the chances that more than 10% of this building's tenants will actually own and use a bicycle on a daily basis for their transportation needs?

I think it looks like an appropriate amount of bike parking, not much more laughable than the amount of parking space for cars. Given the layout of that level there wouldn't be room in that corner for more car parking anyways based on the stairwell and elevator lobby. The bike repair area is a nice touch as well. Although people who can afford to live in this building can probably afford several cars, providing secure bike storage can certainly promote or raise awareness of using a bike to get around. And if they decide they don't need that much bike parking in the future then it would be easy to put something else in that area.
4DCSB.png

The chances are high. Biking's popularity is sharply increasing and its easily the fastest and cheapest way to get around the city.

I lived in a building that underestimated the popularity of bikes and so the bike storage room was a complete mess so I had to keep my bike in my apartment.

What universe do you live in?

Almost everyone owns a bike. Full stop. This is a fact.

Most people dont ride it every day, or even every year, but they own one. Having a convenient place to store it means more likely people will use it more often. Certainly better than having it stacked up in some corner of the apartment.

Bikes no bikes doesn't really make a difference really. The only thing that matters is that this project probably won't get off the ground until 2016 where it will fall in between 250-320 feet and will look nothing like the original design.

Avalon Bay isn't some fly-by-night developer. They're a Fortune 500 company with an investment hurdle of something like 6% (since they're a REIT). This will break ground as scheduled if all the approvals are in place (admittedly a big if).

This is wonderful news.

I find the first floor layout to be a bit odd - the lobby area and the overhang under which there are like 200 people milling about. Was there a fire alarm? I can't think of many buildings (any) where there are people wandering about.

Well, I guess those are people wandering through the "arcade". I hope they're wise enough to keep the residential portion separate from the retail. Few people like to be faced with sports fans running into - and pouring out of - arenas.

It's a little weird, but it seems like one of the more challenging lobby areas in recent memory. You obviously have the Garden and Commuter rail. People come and go from both sides, walking to MGH, Cambridge. Then there is the parking entrance underground and the service ramp above, which I assume they have to keep because thats how the materials get in when they build stages, rings, etc. I like the open arcade here, it will work. It will get good foottraffic, and there will be no confusion about whether this is a public space or private lobby.

Was anybody able to attend last night?

Back