Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

Either way, those are epic windows. Imagine your dorm having amazing loft windows like that...

The 400 prisoners in the Middlesex Jail in E. Cambridge would probably agree!

If someone has the stomach for it, it would be nauseatingly informative to put up a thread/gallery of all the Shen approved buildings and then vote on them.

I guess it sucks, but it will probably have one of the better street level experiences in all of Boston.

I don't get it. I count 18 floors, and it looks more than passable considering it's a dorm.

I'm still trying to figure out if it is really V shaped and narrower at the base or my eyes are messing with me.

Either way, those are epic windows. Imagine your dorm having amazing loft windows like that...

I would hazard a guess that those are study rooms.

Not a fan of the switch from fake yellow brick to fake stucco/plastic panels.

160MassAve-North.jpg

2012-04-26-Final-North.jpg

When I saw the yellow brick render I thought "hey, not bad, I was wrong about this". Looks a little like a tweed Fender Twin on its side. Then I saw the revised one again...

Not a fan of the switch from fake yellow brick to fake stucco/plastic panels.

"tinted stainless steel"

Think Federal Reserve Building at South Station with a Photoshop filter. It could be beautiful or horrifying, or both depending on the lighting and tint selected.

Hmm, what about the building next to it. It was supposed to have improved street-level, apparent in the old rendering. Is it gone?

...Obviously the seamless double-height ones are. I'm just talking about the loft windows, which are the dorm rooms. Freshman dorms usually have tiny windows.

Hmm, what about the building next to it. It was supposed to have improved street-level, apparent in the old rendering. Is it gone?

I asked around today. They apparently blew their load on the $90M mid-rise, now at $95M or so, and can't afford to fix up the building across Belvidere.

I've never been opposed to the height just to the supremely shitty way it will not fit into the neighborhood.

Why can't we have nice things anymore? Why is everything VE'd to death? Why is it all so darn ugly?

I asked around today. They apparently blew their load on the $90M mid-rise, now at $95M or so, and can't afford to fix up the building across Belvidere.

I've never been opposed to the height just to the supremely shitty way it will not fit into the neighborhood.

Why can't we have nice things anymore? Why is everything VE'd to death? Why is it all so darn ugly?

That's too bad - that bunker wall is pretty depressing.
We get nice things now and then - Harvard's new Fogg museum looks pretty good.
Berklee apparently overstretched themselves which does not bode well for quality of materials here.

If they can't afford to do it now then I'm sure they will do it latter. Colleges care about their campuses

I'll believe it when I see it.

2015, at the earliest. You heard it here first.

That's only three years, it will probably be much longer. I doubt it's a big priority for them.

Last edited:

Back