BMC Ambulatory Building | East Concord & Albany Streets | South End

Re: BMC Ambulatory Building

Those screens look like the mesh they put around scaffolding. I'll forever be waiting for them to finish construction.

Exactly what I was thinking.

329-1.jpg

Great last shot - it really shows the subtlety of how the detailing plays with light and shadow. Trippy. What strikes me is how well it works close-up ... but how confused it becomes when it covers an entire side of a building (with mysterious gaps) - e.g. the second shot.

I still haven't seen it in person...

If this building were being built by the state, this decorative metalwork would start falling off in a year or so. Hopefully BMC did it better.

The first shot is rather unflattering but the second shows it from a better angle. Personally I think they should have used either a different material for the exterior detailing or at the very least more color. The proportions are fine but it is just so much terra cotta!!

Kz said it best when he described this facade as gossamer. The screen gives this otherwise rather awkward and monolithically proportioned building some texture, variation and a nice softness. I think the terracotta meshes seamlessly with the brick South End.

I like the terra cotta rows, but the large sections are kinda... iffy... Not to sure about the walls. I just don't like massive unbroken sections of the terra cotta shades. I like the last shot alot. I kinda wish that whole side of the building was like that, instead.

When I look at the meshing it makes me feel sick like when I play Donkey Kong too long.

This is finished. I'm really liking the way it turned out.

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_5.jpg

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_7.jpg

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_1.jpg

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_2.jpg

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_3.jpg

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_6.jpg

bmc_ambulatory_jan_2011_4.jpg

I really like the sidewalk overhang -- nice touch with the wood ceilings.

I really like this building, but the louvers on the facade are giving me horrible flashbacks to one of my studio projects last spring lol. Such a pain to model.

Contemporary design meets abstract, outsider art

...the louvers obviously make it stand out.

That may just be the best sidewalk in Boston.

Renderings for the Energy Plant addition on Albany St:

ScreenShot061.jpg

ScreenShot062.jpg

ScreenShot063.jpg

That may just be the best sidewalk in Boston.

I disagree, it's like a scaled down version of the plaza in front of the new Hancock. It's kind of overbearing and feels hemmed in.

ALTHOUGH I love this as a point of discussion, and I am intrigued to start doing a mental inventory of sidewalks in Boston and maybe start a new thread about streetscape design.

Back