Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay

29013422230_b5b814ab0a_b.jpg

28679088354_07200d2046_b.jpg

29193467172_9944fcc988_b.jpg

While the jury is split, I will say that my vote is yey, not ney. Many have commented on the idea that this is not attractive from far away, but very nice at street level. Just wait until they coordinate the lights on the windmills with the lights of the Pru... which they will do. This will will be quite the show from places like the Pike or the Harvard Bridge, or even downtown, or from the Fenway. We (arch) always complain about the lack of color in the sky at night in Boston. I have seen them testing the LED's. This is the answer to our complaints.

Saw this last night. It was lit up really well. It makes quite the skyline contribution with those lights despite its lack of height.

Can we all just ignore this building, never post about it again and pretend like it doesn't exist? Thanks.

I like it. Big improvement over what was there before.

I like it. Big improvement over what was there before.

It is bigger than what was there before Ill give you that haha.

I still believe the opposite. I don't think the building is so bad on its own, but it's kind of "subtraction by addition" on Boylston Street. It has basically completely replaced the Pru's (and 111's in the background) presence on this stretch. Was talking with a non-skyscraper-fan friend of mine who made the same comment. We replaced a sweeping vista of a 750' and 554' with a barely 300' fat box. It actually subtracts from Boylston Street's "big city" feel in this regard. I'll always have fond memories of exiting the bars and staring up at the Pru looming across the street.

Again, I don't hate it, but it would have worked better in Kendall, The Seaport, or Longwood. It was totally unnecessary in this location, and the plaza was plenty fixable if they had chosen that route.

...or you guys can take a chill pill.

That won't change my perspective on this one. A crappy mid-rise is a crappy mid-rise. The ground level will be great, I'll admit that, but it just doesn't belong in the skyline, IMO (or at the very least, this part of the skyline). I'm not an architect, so I have trouble describing my issue with it. My best attempt is that, despite it being just a glass box, it calls a lot of attention to itself when viewed from afar (and it shouldn't, since I don't see it as anything more than an infill project). Maybe it's just that location in the skyline. Maybe it's the crown. I don't know. It will hopefully disappear as Parcel 15 and others get built, and I can start enjoying the benefits that the building does provide.

Both the lobby (accessible from within the mall and the front) and the front-courtyard are now open to the public to see.

The lady at the security desk told me that it's been open since yesterday. She asked me not to take pictures in the lobby.

Both the lobby (accessible from within the mall and the front) and the front-courtyard are now open to the public to see.

The lady at the security desk told me that it's been open since yesterday. She asked me not to take pictures in the lobby.

The lady in the lobby told me she's ashamed to work there as it's such an ugly building, buy hey, a job is a job.

The lady in the lobby told me she's ashamed to work there as it's such an ugly building, buy hey, a job is a job.

sounds a bit apocryphal. :rolleyes:

But if guess if you can't stand by your own ideas, sure, let's attribute them to a "lady in the lobby."

Has the front plaza been completed? Also, is the Tesla showroom opening onto the plaza?

Was in Chicago this week for business and went to Eataly. Great space and tons of street level activation. Coffee and dessert was on the ground floor with large glass windows. Open until 11pm. This will be a GREAT addition to the Prudential Center and 888 Boylston. Can't wait. Food was very good too.

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/

Back