BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

BU now officially has its own skyline.

It is a shame BU's original plan for a gothic tower at the center of campus (behind Marsh Chapel) was never realized.

It was designed to mirror the Boston Stump in Boston, England:
Boston_Stump_October_2004.JPG

It is a shame BU's original plan for a gothic tower at the center of campus (behind Marsh Chapel) was never realized.

It was designed to mirror the Boston Stump in Boston, England:

I had heard that before... I guess that would explain small, Boston Stump-looking engravings on a lot of the metal work above the entryways of the deco/gothic buildings lining Comm Ave.

Put it on the fantasy list under MIT's flowing breast milk Athena fountain...

Correct me if I am wrong, but compared to 24 years ago, the only significant difference in this view (skyline-wise) is 111 Huntington.

I guess one could argue that 33 Arch St, espcially given it's color, adds to the view.

All the other buildings constructed in the last quarter century in this picture are barely visable (1 Lincoln, The Millineum Towers, 2 International Place, etc.). Though off the top of my head I do not recall exactly when 1 Exchange Place and 1 International were built, but suffice it to say it was closer to 24 years ago than now. . .

^ Yes, it's mostly been a filling in of the gaps in the skyline than any kind of wholesale reshaping.

^ Not at all, imo.

I'd be happy if the skyline didn't look "filled in" --because of a new crop of supertalls sticking up out of it.

Fat chance.

The 30 to 40 floor range is about the limit of sensible economics from a commercial real estate and civil engineering point of view. Go much taller and you have to spend a higher proportion of floor space on building infrastructure (stairs, elevators, structure, HVAC, etc.).

As a result, larger towers are more about ego, making a statement, and advertising than they are about optimized investments.

I'd say this fact, and Boston's lack of private leadership that might be interested in such things, does more to explain the "plateau" effect than NIMBYism.

Ooooh...that cladding is a letdown.

Correct me if I am wrong, but compared to 24 years ago, the only significant difference in this view (skyline-wise) is 111 Huntington.

I guess one could argue that 33 Arch St, espcially given it's color, adds to the view.

All the other buildings constructed in the last quarter century in this picture are barely visable (1 Lincoln, The Millineum Towers, 2 International Place, etc.). Though off the top of my head I do not recall exactly when 1 Exchange Place and 1 International were built, but suffice it to say it was closer to 24 years ago than now. . . [/QUOT I had a much higher view I could see from the Alewife towers all of Cambridge,all of downtown,BackBay and it ended at Northeastern.Here ar

e my views from 1985(Alewife not included!)

Last edited:

the cladding is the worst! looks like a 1970s stucco florida italian restaurant/souvenir shop on steroids and with new windows.

alternately, it looks like ... a dorm. (sigh.)

This is such a dominating tower, I had no idea (and I'm sure residents had no idea either). Given the construction quality I get the feeling that these are going to end up being just like those projects at Alewife.

Its the same cladding as phase 1, there are no surprises.

This is such a dominating tower, I had no idea (and I'm sure residents had no idea either). Given the construction quality I get the feeling that these are going to end up being just like those projects at Alewife.

It's not nearly that bad. The alewife towers are bona fide projects.

I like this tower better than most of the dorm towers around Boston. I think the glass, precast, and ceramic materials with varied colors work better than the precast and brick of the nearby dorms (those may be boring but are still OK too IMO). I think the building is sufficiently tall to give it verticality and grace not generally seen in Boston, especially for a dorm project. Of course it could have been a lot better, but its does a great job of drawing attention away from the rail yard and elevated turnpike that used to be the dominant features of the area.

Its the same cladding as phase 1, there are no surprises.

Huh? The window spacing is the same, but the actual cladding is quite different -- brick versus terra cotta (or whatever it is).

And I too think this is a good looking dorm. Although the sides when viewed from a distance are pretty dull, up close they have some detail to them which I like. Plus, the generously sized expanses of glass work well color-wise with the panels, lending it a more upscale feel than the neighboring brick towers.

A detail shot from 1/19. To me this looks pretty darn sharp.

img0085pm5.jpg

Back