Cambridge Infill and Small Developments

They're putting in the Alewife Brook path connector designed to connect to the path running out to Mass Ave. on the Arlington side of the brook. Fresh-updated Google Satellite now shows the clearing in the tall grass next to 2 and some of the bulldozers working the land:

http://maps.google.com/?ll=42.39828...uffolk,+Massachusetts&t=h&deg=90&z=19&vpsrc=6

Support pegs went in this week across the marsh where a footbridge is going to go over the wetlands on the last 50 feet to the Minuteman. That'll be really nice when it's open...you can finally walk to Alewife from the 77 stop. Now they've got to extend that pre-existing Arlington-side path past the cemetery and through the DCR park to connect it with the Mystic River reservation.

I think all that humongous tall grass in the swamp is an invasive species they're eventually getting rid of to improve water flow.

Still slow-as-hell progress on the sidewalk widening along the access road from the Minuteman to the station entrance and Somerville path. That project's been sitting at near-standstill for a year, and I hate getting nearly killed by bicycles on the narrow temp sidewalk on the other side behind the jersey barriers.

New footbridge to the Fitchburg Cutoff Path from the access road looks done as of yesterday when I walked by. Could probably take down the temp fence right now and open it up, but I don't know what final touch-up is left. They made quick work of that one.

Also...within the last week the 185 Alewife overfill employee lot on Terminal Rd. next to the electrical substation got dug up to hell. Don't know what they're doing there, but it's one giant-ass hole now and they tore out the rail siding buried in the pavement that was used to truck in all the substation equipment.

I think there's a big sewer project just west of that footbridge, so they can't open it until that project is finished. Right now you have to detour over to the end of CambridgePark Drive to get on the rest of the Fitchburg Cutoff path.

There's no room to build an Arlington-side path along the brook next to the cemetery. You'll have to either walk/bike through the cemetery or go over to the Somerville side where they are supposed to be cantilevering a widened sidepath over the brook.

How I missed this previously, I don't know, but there's a two-story Starbucks in Harvard Square now. Somewhere John Harvard is weeping in his coffin, but the rest of us can enjoy hot brewed coffee while overlooking panhandlers, tourists, and skate punks. A joy!

starbucks.jpg

But, what I wanted to talk about is - the Harvard Red Line head house is poorly designed. Why are there so many steps around its perimeter - was it supposed to encourage use as a performance stage or meeting spot? In 25 years, I've only seen it used by vagrants, high school kids fighting each other, and visitors from Asia and Africa. It's impossible to navigate if you are feeble of mind or body, are with small children, or are elderly.

I think they should level the head house, raise the floor up three feet to be level (2nd time used in one sentence, different meaning) put a new head house on it, have it be accessible from both sides of the street, and add an elevator to replace the one that is now hidden as a stein of Stella beer.

In a whimsical moment, I thought they might even be able to make the head house rotate slowly, like a sun dial, synchronized with the time of day.

Oh, and inexplicably, there is nowhere to lock your bike in that general area, as far as I could tell. All I could see was a sign saying, "Don't park your bike here." I think you have to go over to the Au Bon Pain to find a place.

outside.jpg

outside2.jpg

outside3.jpg

outside4.jpg

Yeah, the whole "climb the stairs to get to the escalator" bit is odd.

Love Harvard Square, I do think the area has gotten a little commercial especially with a bank occupying every prime spot. Still a fun place to people watch.
Davis Square seems more relaxing to hang out these days.
Union Square continues to improve
Inman Square a nice area to grab some food at night.
Porter Square
It's amazing how these squares evolved over the last 10-20 Years.

Love the people that live in these areas. Great vibe.
Great for going for long walks.

4 development potential locations that are T accessible into the heart of the city.
#1 East Boston Maverick Square breaks out into a similiar situation. It just doesn't seem to have it yet.

#2 Downtown Chelsea plenty of potential and has the Bones for a nice setup but the area still looks rundown.

#3 Downtown Malden another area that has a great strip that can't get it's act together.

#4 Quincy Center--Have not been their in a long time, not sure how it looks today.
All of these locations have the T-heading right into downtown

Keith any of these areas have potential to explode like DAVIS SQUARE did? I also know they don't have Tufts and Harvard around the corner. So that is why they are taking so long to clean up.

#3 Downtown Malden another area that has a great strip that can't get it's act together.

They're not going to be able to get their act together if they can't tear down city hall. It's completely retarded that they put a massive wall to face the station when the station was heralded as bringing new life.

That Starbucks has been there for a while. Pinkberry is right next to it as well.

I also agree that the design of the Harvard MBTA headhouse is very poorly thoughtout. I really enjoy some of the upper ledges (especially in the summer eating my Pinkberry or Chipotle), but the steps that lead down into the station are an issue. I'm smart enough to release that it is a HIGH traffic area and not sit on them, but so many tourists are not and park themselves right in the middle of pedestrian flow. As we learned from "The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces," people are drawn to sit on steps.

Re: Alexandria Center Kendall Square

NECN story:

http://www.necn.com/10/27/11/500-mi...ding_business.html?blockID=583992&feedID=4209

Havent been able to find a project website online yet...

here's some stuff on the landscape by MVVA --- "a landscape architecture firm that creates environmentally sustainable and experientially rich places across a wide range of landscape scales, from city to campus to garden".

http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=70

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...dall-square-in-cambridge-massachusetts-132688

By the scale of the Alexandria Center / Binney St. Project -- it probably will need its own thread

Everthing you wanted to know about the projectsans pics in the final EIR filed with the Mass EPA
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DzdiYDyHw&sig2=eeapIZGXNwr6TtM_jbGYDw&cad=rja

replacing it at the same height unfortunately means it will get bashed by trucks again, just like its predecessor.

The pedestrian bridge over Memorial drive near Trader Joe's/Microcenter

which I'm not sure is even needed, since there's now a signal-controlled crosswalk at Magazine and Memorial Drive.

Well, the obvious question is, why not add ten feet (or, five!) to the height?

My assumption is that the DCR keeps the bridges low to discourage big trucks from sneaking onto Mem Drive & Storrow?

Well, the obvious question is, why not add ten feet (or, five!) to the height?

My assumption is that the DCR keeps the bridges low to discourage big trucks from sneaking onto Mem Drive & Storrow?

When you raise it -- you make the ramps that much longer -- ADA specs the maximum acceptable grade for a ramp and its not a very big number

Suppose that it was 10 degrees that means for each foot of height the ramp is 5.6 ft long on either side

if the angle is 5 degrees then the length of the ramps are 11.4 ft long

It turns out that my 5 degree guess was almost the minum acceptable as I found a website with the following;

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#A4.8.1

4.8 Ramps.

4.8.1* General. Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 shall be considered a ramp and shall comply with 4.8. Appendix Note

4.8.2* Slope and Rise. The least possible slope shall be used for any ramp. The maximum slope of a ramp in new construction shall be 1:12.

The maximum rise for any run shall be 30 in (760 mm) (see Fig. 16). Curb ramps and ramps to be constructed on existing sites or in existing buildings or facilities may have slopes and rises as allowed in 4.1.6(3)(a) if space limitations prohibit the use of a 1:12 slope or less. Appendix Note

4.8.3 Clear Width. The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36 in (915 mm).

4.8.4* Landings. Ramps shall have level landings at bottom and top of each ramp and each ramp run. Landings shall have the following features:

(1) The landing shall be at least as wide as the ramp run leading to it.

(2) The landing length shall be a minimum of 60 in (1525 mm) clear.

(3) If ramps change direction at landings, the minimum landing size shall be 60 in by 60 in (1525 mm by 1525 mm).

A4.8 Ramps.

A4.8.1 General. Ramps are essential for wheelchair users if elevators or lifts are not available to connect different levels. However, some people who use walking aids have difficulty with ramps and prefer stairs.

A4.8.2 Slope and Rise. Ramp slopes between 1:16 and 1:20 are preferred. The ability to manage an incline is related to both its slope and its length. Wheelchair users with disabilities affecting their arms or with low stamina have serious difficulty using inclines. Most ambulatory people and most people who use wheelchairs can manage a slope of 1:16. Many people cannot manage a slope of 1:12 for 30 ft (9 m).

Note the "killer requirement" seems to be the need for adding a landing for every 30 inches of height === 30 feet of ramp (using the minimum 12 to 1 lengt to height for convenience)

Thus for a 12 foot high overpass == 144 feet of ramp + 12*12/30 landings = 144 ft + 5 landings

Fairly soon you are talking an elevator at each side of the bridge + stairs and ramps ---- might as well build a building on each side of the street and connect it with a gerbil tube

And so it goes -- creeping, creeping toward total control of everything

Also posted to Six Ten @ MIT | 610 Main Street, Cambridge

We have comparable in size projects (within factor of 2 or so) just starting in Cambridge:

1) 610 Main @ MIT;
2) Alexandria @ Binney St;
3) Skansa @ 2nd;
4) Novartis @ MIT;
5) EF building @ Northpoint

How about a pole / pool --- which will top off first?

today almost gone! ....

Face's is no more!

I weep for what once might and yet again might have occupied that prime location --instead for a generation we've had to endure

FACES

GOOD RiDDANCE!

Almost anything would be an imrprovement!

Back