Channel Center | Fort Point

Hopefully while they are widening the street they widen those friggin sidewalks. Literally can not have two people on the widewalk at once.

The community attended 60 public meetings drafting the 100 Acres Master Plan. A year after the public final draft was published it was discovered that the BRA had entered into a number of private agreements (MOAs and "Cooperation Agreements") with large property owners, providing rights never previously disclosed publicly nor aligned with the public Master Plan final draft.

Among these privately drafted agreements, the BRA developed an A Street widening plan with Gillette. When the BRA and BTD were asked to explain the rationale, they denied the existence of the MOA. A year later the drawings were made public, and the widening plans are now on the BRA 100 Acres page. No rationale has ever been presented to the community.

My own belief is that the widening plan bolsters Gillette's long-held position that A Street is and will remain a truck route.

Truck route or not, something has to be done about the log-jam that A Street creates every day around 5pm. With state street adding 5K employees, the road will literally shut down. Widening might actually help this road.

Truck route or not, something has to be done about the log-jam that A Street creates every day around 5pm. With state street adding 5K employees, the road will literally shut down. Widening might actually help this road.

The log-jam is caused by the bottleneck created by the traffic lights getting to the expressway. Widening A Street won't change that.

9483083566_a6836c4478_c.jpg

9483062734_79481891b7_c.jpg

Love love love love! I have such an archi-crush on this building. <3

Last edited:
That last shot is friggin awesome. Nice to see you posting pics, Matthew!

I like this place but that garage seems like a serious waste of space...even the congress st and aquarium garages have an active street level

From what I hear, State Street is moving into here, and the workers are not too happy about it for 3 reasons. First, the accessibility is obviously a bit tougher than dtx (with less surrounding amenities). Second, supposedly it is going to be extremely cramped and the average workspace will be smaller. Third, there are 1200 workers to be relocated and the building fits 800, so many are expecting the company's 7th(?) major layoff in 5 years.

Also let me go on record and say I despise the bright blue panels on the redder part of the building. It looks like construction material, and I keep expecting them to remove it and expose the true (more conservative) material underneath. This will forever look unfinished with the bright blue, and the colors really clash with the rest of the building and glass.

...the accessibility is obviously a bit tougher than dtx (with less surrounding amenities).

It's a small walk from the Broadway station but it's not that bad. Hopefully, retail will follow....

From what I hear, State Street is moving into here, and the workers are not too happy about it for 3 reasons. First, the accessibility is obviously a bit tougher than dtx (with less surrounding amenities). Second, supposedly it is going to be extremely cramped and the average workspace will be smaller. Third, there are 1200 workers to be relocated and the building fits 800, so many are expecting the company's 7th(?) major layoff in 5 years.

I've heard the same. My source told me that they are sharing work spaces with alternating work-from-home days. Very telling signs of a lay-off. Along with the same concerns of transit, I also heard that people are worried that the area is unsafe. I'm sure once people realize its less then a 10 minute walk from Broadway, which will have both a Starbucks and a Stephie's by the time the building opens, those concerns will subside.

But yes, retail should follow. There are a few prime spots left in Channel Center that would be sure-fire wins for the working crowd. Barlow's has been lucky thus far that it has been the only game in town for happy hour drinks.

Is State Street combing all of their Boston ops into this building?

Apart from their main building on Lincoln Street?

Also let me go on record and say I despise the bright blue panels on the redder part of the building. It looks like construction material, and I keep expecting them to remove it and expose the true (more conservative) material underneath. This will forever look unfinished with the bright blue, and the colors really clash with the rest of the building and glass.

I don't have strong opinions on it, but it's funny to read this when so many other commenters talk about insulation on other projects and wish that the bright colors would stay rather than be covered up with "more conservative" materials.

Is State Street combing all of their Boston ops into this building?

Apart from their main building on Lincoln Street?

State Street has 8,000 employees in Boston. According to BBJ, 4,000 will be housed in the Channel Center complex of buildings.

Bring on the crazy colors! We are a vibrant, world class city and yet the built form is so drab. Now that we have the pomo "everything must be brick" monkey off our back I say experiment!

Back