Columbus Ave Student Housing | 10 Burke St | Northeastern University

I remember when I was a freshman at Northeastern (2000) You wouldn't wander over to Columbus unless you lived there. It was still a fairly dodgy area. How its changed.

Yea it has gotten better, now its Tremont that's still a little sketchy. I've been in the Hollywood liquors on a friday night and its interesting in there for sure. I'm not worried for myself but then I see what looks to be 18 year old girls wearing mini skirts from NEU going in there and I get worried for them.

I remember when I was a freshman at Northeastern (2000) You wouldn't wander over to Columbus unless you lived there. It was still a fairly dodgy area. How its changed.

I started at NU the same year and remember the atmosphere well. I actually lived a few streets past Columbus for a while but it was a quiet little street with no through traffic (Sussex). Despite the occasional gunshots at night, I actually miss living there. We had a great view from the roof and summertime barbecues were fun.

Funny to hear you guys talk about NU in 2000 and not venturing over to Columbus unless you lived there. Columbus and Tremont were wonderful by 2000. Try 1994 when I was a freshman, where you didn't really want to cross the train tracks and Mission Hill was still a bit of a war zone.

I was at NU in late 80s/early 90s and my brothers were there from the late 70s to late 90s (lots of siblings). It definitely got better over the years, but was pretty rough back in the earlier half of those years.

Funny to hear you guys talk about NU in 2000 and not venturing over to Columbus unless you lived there. Columbus and Tremont were wonderful by 2000. Try 1994 when I was a freshman, where you didn't really want to cross the train tracks and Mission Hill was still a bit of a war zone.

HA!
Went to NU early 70’s, always exciting

Thus far, this reads as two buildings more often than I would have expected. That might be for the better; it really does lord over the immediate area.

Thus far, this reads as two buildings more often than I would have expected. That might be for the better; it really does lord over the immediate area.

Correct, and it was designed as such. The "bridges" connecting each floor are essentially wide enough only for a corridor between the two masses of the building, and are purposefully going to be glassy so more light can shine through them toward Columbus Ave and ISEC.

I remember during the NU Task Force meetings this was well-received by community members, albeit a little misleading that Elkus-Manfredi framed it as 'sky bridges' instead of 'two glass facades' with narrow walkways between them on every floor.'

qPBpBQQh.jpg

Back