Fenway Center (One Kenmore) | Turnpike Parcel 7, Beacon Street | Fenway

it seems this site, currently u/c would be the most desirable to locate the main tower....

as it would cast most of its shadow upon the Pike. Putting the tower the middle holds Rosenthal's foot to the fire--

It looks great, but seems the less-correct choice, carrying unnecessary cost.

Definitely prefer the vanity of looking great with this one. Going to be a visually tantilizing approach traveling The Pike from BU. Open up the budget!

This (even phase 1) is one of the sleeper projects I'm most excited about. The area around the corner of Maitland and Beacon is the worst part of the Fenway (my neighborhood), and this is going to do a lot to improve it. Phase 1 has about a floor and a half of retail space in both buildings. That's a lot, especially given this project's exact location. I'm happy it's all included, but also curious as to what kind of tenant will end up here.

But, does anybody else have a really hard time picturing what exactly is going on with the deck over the Yawkey Commuter Rail platform? The best I can tell is that it's going to be a plaza off of Beacon St that just kind of... ends. All the renders I've seen (e.g., here) are oddly fuzzy about what exactly is going on there.

I'll bite: it's the train shed (if i'm using the term correctly here) that supports part of the new neighborhood above the Pike for what will ultimately be the common area between the mid-rises and the project's highrise/decking phase.

Could it be protection, for the inbound track/platform, during construction?
https://flic.kr/p/2cEvzFR[/QUOTE]

It seems awful permanent for that limited purpose. Usually temporary scaffolding and plywood are used.

I agree with navigator. The columns appear to be resting on concrete footings.

I agree with navigator. The columns appear to be resting on concrete footings.

Right, the renders definitely show some sort of permanent plaza here over the platform:

But it's not clear to me exactly how this is going to work.

See also here:

44724553335_0e723e579b_b.jpg

My impression was that it was a plaza / pedestrian walkway connecting Beacon to the existing elevator bridge. That would provide an accessible route from Beacon to both platforms.

I think it is also a life safety matter. They appear to be building right out to the property line, and without this, the emergency egress would be a leap onto the railroad track.

They're closing the Beacon St. entrance to Yawkey for a year starting Friday. For those of us who come in on the Fenway Park side it's not a big deal, but the folks coming from the Kenmore side are a bit miffed.

They're closing the Beacon St. entrance to Yawkey for a year starting Friday. For those of us who come in on the Fenway Park side it's not a big deal, but the folks coming from the Kenmore side are a bit miffed.

Ah, this could clear up what exactly is going on with the deck over the CR platform as it reaches Beacon.

If you're coming from anywhere west of Yawkey and south of the Pike, Maitland to Ortiz is Yawkey is only very slightly longer then entering Yawkey directly from Beacon. For those coming from the area west of Kenmore and north of the Pike (around BU) the detour will add about 3 minutes to their walks. Everyone else probably accesses Yawkey from Ortiz already. Annoying, but certainly not the worst thing in the world.

The city of Boston loves to add to the commutes of pedestrians and T users. Close a sidewalk for a couple years? Sure! Board up that T exit? No biggie. Shovel the sidewalk on a bridge? Not likely. That 3 minutes adds up to hours over the year. They would never do that to drivers. They treat them like a protected species.

The city of Boston loves to add to the commutes of pedestrians and T users. Close a sidewalk for a couple years? Sure! Board up that T exit? No biggie. Shovel the sidewalk on a bridge? Not likely. That 3 minutes adds up to hours over the year. They would never do that to drivers. They treat them like a protected species.

In the grand scheme of construction interruptions this is minuscule. And when it's done, there will be accessible access from Beacon to Yawkey (which doesn't exist now).

I'm with you that the powers that be are much more willing to interrupt the commutes of transit riders than drivers, but this really isn't an example of that. A three minute driving delay resulting from a construction project is nothing. That's not even one full light cycle.

They would never do that to drivers. They treat them like a protected species.

Good point. Never once in history has there ever been a road construction detour in the city of Boston.

I'm sure this question has been answered already...

Are they building the tower section of this in the first go around or is this just the other building and the base?

I'm sure this question has been answered already...

Are they building the tower section of this in the first go around or is this just the other building and the base?

This phase is the two buildings south of the Pike and none of the decking over the Pike.

Back