Fenway Residence Inn (ACE Tickets) | 121 Brookline Ave | Fenway

Re: 121 Brookline Ave (ACE Tickets)

Landscrapers suck. But its better than what's there (largely, a parking lot).

I wonder, (but doubt,) if ace ticket will return as one of the ground floor retailers.

I wonder, (but doubt,) if ace ticket will return as one of the ground floor retailers.
nothing to indicate ether/or...but I'm sure that they would return...they don't have many options around the area that's close enough to the park

It's LEED Green!! (and allt he fucking granola bars get wet pantys over that.)

Please tell me there is not actually some wind-based cooling or whatever environmental justification for all the PoMo trellises...

And over a year after the most recent post in this thread, demolition of the much maligned Ace Ticket Building is underway:

I've noted some poking and prodding here over the past couple of months (utility relocation?) but figured demo was imminent when the asbestos-mitigation crew was on-site last week.

Here's hoping the developers have updated the half-hearted Michael Graves retread design...

Last edited:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...n1yjwBDTZXyhvCsxSJ/story.html?s_campaign=8315

Construction starts on Marriott near Fenway
Will be area’s first new hotel in decades
By Casey Ross
| Globe Staff

March 08, 2012

A Boston developer is starting construction of a Marriott Residence Inn on Brookline Avenue near Fenway Park, the neighborhood’s first new hotel in decades.

Boylston Properties began demolition of a parking garage and vacant ticket kiosk on the property this week. It will be replaced by an eight-story extended-stay hotel with shops or a restaurant at street level.

William P. McQuillan, principal of Boylston Properties, believes other hotels will soon be built in the area. “The world has gotten better, and a lot of new projects are starting to bubble up.’’

The $60 million hotel, to be located at 121 Brookline Ave., will contain 175 rooms and is scheduled to open in the summer of 2013. It will be operated by Pyramid Hotel Group, which also manages the Marriott Residence Inn at Tudor Wharf in Charlestown.

The Fenway neighborhood has seen considerable redevelopment in recent years that has added several new restaurants and hundreds of residences. On Tuesday, a court ruling paved the way for developer John Rosenthal’s plan to build Fenway Center, a $450 million complex of apartments, stores, and offices near the ballpark.

Boylston Properties, meanwhile, had initially sought to build lab space at 121 Brookline Ave., but demand from biotechnology and medical tenants dried up as the economy tanked in late 2007. The hotel will fill a dead spot on Brookline Avenue while the storefront at ground level will add to an array of new retailers. Yard House, a bar and grill that features an extensive beer menu, is expected to open across the street in coming weeks.

McQuillan said the design, by architects Group One Partners Inc., is intended to blend the building into the surrounding neighborhood. The property will have one signature feature, however: an enclosed rooftop pool that will open onto a patio overlooking the neighborhood.

This is as good a place to make this comment as any of the other Fenway threads. First, I really like how this building looks in the renders, and think it will add well to the neighborhood. Second, and this is the more generic comment, all of the architects and developers working the Brookline/Boylston corridor have done a really nice job of making each infill project fit in to the existing neighborhood. There is so much that is new, so much more than what was, and yet in many ways the neighborhood still has the same style it did twenty years ago. I just love what is going on in that part of town.

Contrast this with what happened a couple blocks away in Kenmore Square, and it is all the more impressive. I wonder where the next version of this will happen.

An extended stay hotel like the Marriott Residence Inn will be great for this area.

Contrast this with what happened a couple blocks away in Kenmore Square, and it is all the more impressive. I wonder where the next version of this will happen.

Or contrast even more with the Seaport or Kendall. Why can't we get, if not novel architecture in these places, something solid like what we see going up in the Fenway area? Is it because the street grid in Fenway is already established and lends itself to this "fabric reconstruction" much better than the open superblocks and decontextualized wastes of the aforementioned other areas?

Or contrast even more with the Seaport or Kendall. Why can't we get, if not novel architecture in these places, something solid like what we see going up in the Fenway area? Is it because the street grid in Fenway is already established and lends itself to this "fabric reconstruction" much better than the open superblocks and decontextualized wastes of the aforementioned other areas?

I think it is that and also because the smaller footprint, organic part is already in place. The buildings going up at Fenway are large footprint mid-rises without anything significantly interesting about them from a distance. This could also describe the buildings going up in the Seaport. The difference is that there is an existing template for street level design found in the low rise buildings. The Seaport has nothing but parking lots to inform the street level designs.

Sounds about right. Crazy that the same designs can't seem to be plopped down in the Seaport without something right nearby to "inform" them, though (I guess Fort Point doesn't "inform" well?) I mean, look at photos of the development of now-dense parts of New York in the early 20th century (or of Fenway from around that time as well)...the buildings we now consider to be the templates of good urbanism were essentially being built in fields or filled land without any context to guide them.

Sounds about right. Crazy that the same designs can't seem to be plopped down in the Seaport without something right nearby to "inform" them, though (I guess Fort Point doesn't "inform" well?) I mean, look at photos of the development of now-dense parts of New York in the early 20th century (or of Fenway from around that time as well)...the buildings we now consider to be the templates of good urbanism were essentially being built in fields or filled land without any context to guide them.

I'm going to suggest that the reason we consider them good templates is that we are accustomed to seeing them.

I think it is that and also because the smaller footprint, organic part is already in place. The buildings going up at Fenway are large footprint mid-rises without anything significantly interesting about them from a distance. This could also describe the buildings going up in the Seaport. The difference is that there is an existing template for street level design found in the low rise buildings. The Seaport has nothing but parking lots to inform the street level designs.

It's probably too early to say, but the initial renderings of the Ink Block seem to have overcome this problem. The Herald site has nothing but highways, low-rise flex/industrial buildings and parking lots to inform it's street level designs. But it at least seems like an effort was made . . .

More rooftop pools is always a good thing.

Lots of activity on the site today. Three backhoes, and two cranes. A few components that appear to be for a tower crane have been delivered, but I'm guessing that's a ways off.

crane! did u say crane! :)

This morning:

The pile-driver is going full tilt right now.

Hmm. So damn loud.

IMG-20120418-00206.jpg

Back