Fenway Residence Inn (ACE Tickets) | 121 Brookline Ave | Fenway

Re: 121 Brookline Ave (ACE Tickets)

I wonder if precast were tinted, if it would be more pleasant to look at. Downtown Rome, for example, is full of utterly boring architechture (amidst the splendor!), stucco-covered clay building blocks filling in concrete superstructure and covered in cement. The difference is the stucco is a variety of colors that give the street scapes a degree of visual interest.

Where exactly do you mean by "downtown Rome"? Pretty much anywhere in Rome looks and feels better than a precast Boston building, but this has more to do with the scale and intimacy of the streetscape than architecture.

Pay for it and you can have it. Precast is cheaper ... thus the proforma looks better. Tough to fight the bottom line, no?

cca

As I've said here before, East Germany used a form of precast (because it was cheaper) to imitate more expensive concrete buildings in the West. After the wall fell, everything built has been of much higher quality.

What is wrong with Boston that its developers are forced to / don't care that they are acting out of fiscal constraints that are demonstrably fictive in a capitalist society?

Where exactly do you mean by "downtown Rome"? Pretty much anywhere in Rome looks and feels better than a precast Boston building, but this has more to do with the scale and intimacy of the streetscape than architecture.

I'm thinking of practically anywhere outside of the ancient city center....anything built by Mussolini and later. For example most everything southwest and south of the main train station within the walls and practically everything outside the walls in metro-Rome.

8291852834_e0c62d1a30_b.jpg

8290795301_07f3fdbfe2_b.jpg

8290794055_d414e1b743_b.jpg

8291844660_7e63211d5d_b.jpg

We need more neon green with black polka-dot buildings and less tan buildings. Especially in an area like this where you might actually be able to get away with it.

We need more neon green with black polka-dot buildings and less tan buildings. Especially in an area like this where you might actually be able to get away with it.

My thoughts exactly, especially looking at BeeLine's recent pics. It's not that the green and blow insulation is fantastic but just that it really illustrates how absolutely dull and depressing the tan cladding is.

Other cities in northern climes have embraced color for bleak times of year; Boston should too. Reykjavik the place up!

Other cities in northern climes have embraced color for bleak times of year; Boston should too. Reykjavik the place up!

Basically describes every city/town in the Scandinavian countries

Reykjavik the place up!
I wasn't impressed with Reykjavik. I heard all about the colorful architecture, but when I was there I noticed some colored roofs and a bunch of concrete bunker buildings that looked like they belonged in Juneau.

Fair enough; I've never been there. Feel free to substitute an appropriately colorful Scandinavian city.

Ooops....wasn't challenging your Reykjavik credentials. Thought you might enlighten me to the architecture I missed while there.
Btw, it's a great place to go since they're economy collapsed. My wife and I stayed at the nicest hotel in the city for $120 per night. The flight is only ~4 hours. I had the best seafood dinner of my life while there. And to top it off, there's so much geothermal activity that you can fart pretty much nonstop and blame "sulfur gases."

Just don't try the Hakarl.

I lived in Reykjavik for two months this summer. It definitely lacks for color, but finds other ways to be very whimsical. The graffiti in that city is some of the best I've seen in the whole world, there is a real aesthetic consideration to what's going on.

There's also a huge presence of local artists, and real protection of the Icelandic identity. There is a lot that's very vibrant about that town, it's not so much in the architecture as it is in the music, art and fashion. You wanna see bright colors look to what the people wear on the streets.

I've never been to any other scandinavian countries, but I remember Quebec City being very colorful. At least the roofs were.

I lived in Denmark for a year (1/2 in Roskilde and 1/2 in Copenhagen) and the colorful houses are prevalent (i.e. Nyhavn http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Nyhavn-panorama.jpg). In particular the bold yellow paint helps to break up the darkness of a lot of the older brick and stone buildings, especially in the winter (providing a very warm color when illuminated).

I don't know about Scandinavia being that colorful. Historic areas like Nyhaven are for sure, but newer spots like where I lived out in Albertslund were pretty much in line with the rest of Western Europe and the US. Lots of fresh whitewash on red tile though.

I don't know about Scandinavia being that colorful. Historic areas like Nyhaven are for sure, but newer spots like where I lived out in Albertslund were pretty much in line with the rest of Western Europe and the US. Lots of fresh whitewash on red tile though.

I'd generally agree with that statement with regards to the new aesthetic. I'd also allow that the color palate is pretty limited. It's no land of Dr. Suess, but even a little bit of color goes a long way.

My thoughts exactly, especially looking at BeeLine's recent pics. It's not that the green and blow insulation is fantastic but just that it really illustrates how absolutely dull and depressing the tan cladding is.

That is one ugly streetscape. Although I do like the windows on the second floor of Fenway.

Back