Fenway Residence Inn (ACE Tickets) | 121 Brookline Ave | Fenway

Re: 121 Brookline Ave (ACE Tickets)

Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, developers are in the business of making money, not making architectural hobbyists happy.

It's acceptable, no more than that. But the light colored first floor, several floors of brick, then a light colored top floor has become a tiresome cliche at this point. Every other new building follows this brain dead look.

Can you imagine if someone in the late 19th/early 20th century had said "ugh, bayfront apartment buildings and brownstones clad in red brick with light stone bases are getting so tired". Central Boston wouldn't have any of the architectural personality it has today.

Smaller, vernacular buildings are not all going to be spectacular expressions of creativity, and that's okay. They make the city cohere as a whole and make the exceptions to the rule all the more special.

It fits in with the building around it. I hope there's a patio of some sort that people can use under that trellis, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't.

^^ If someone had said ugh then other designs would have filled the vacuum and I'm sure it would have all turned out just fine. Contextualism works up to a point but beyond that point it curdles into a suffocating sameness.

In Back Bay there is a lot of detail variety from building to building. That can't be said about this kind of dumbed down design which usually only has slight variations from one to the other.

I'll criticize mediocrity when I see it. There was no possible better outcome whatsoever considering the budget and intended use?

No. Get over it. It's an extended stay hotel.
All over the city we're dealing with precast concrete high-rises dressed with alucabond. We shouldn't lose sleep over brick clad, 10-story building surrounded by brick clad, 8 story buildings.

EDIT: +1 to CZSZ's comment above.

^^ If someone had said ugh then other designs would have filled the vacuum and I'm sure it would have all turned out just fine. Contextualism works up to a point but beyond that point it curdles into a suffocating sameness.

In Back Bay there is a lot of detail variety from building to building. That can't be said about this kind of dumbed down design which usually only has slight variations from one to the other.

But the details in the Back Bay are also slight variations on other designs used in the surrounding buildings. Different columns framing a door or window, a slightly different cornice over a window/ door, and different carved stone and shaped metal pieces do not vary much in the whole neighborhood.

The main difference here is that the facade does not have as much depth as the buildings in the Back Bay which makes it appear much less engaging that is the bigger issue. Overall I don't mind the design because it does fit in well and seems reasonably pedestrian friendly although that is hard to judge without seeing it in person.

8734553232_73a31b678a_b.jpg

8734552088_e0827475d0_b.jpg

8733433235_18f46f97a1_b.jpg

8734549320_fd0266bf42_b.jpg

8734548056_bca62fe226_b.jpg

8733429391_ee137f6632_b.jpg

That's really not so bad. Reminds me of many of the old masonry buildings in Midtown Manhattan that I love (and which are the prime subjects for razing/replacement-by-modernist-box under Bloomberg's proposed big zoning-law change).

The two toned brick base used in the alleyway looks significantly better than the predominantly precast base. I wish they had wrapped the entire facade in it.

THIS is a good background building. Fits in with it's surroundings. Ground floor retail. Contextual facade.
I only emphasize because it drives me crazy when people defend the Kensington as a background building.

Looks great actually, except for the shit stains

I walk by it every Wednesday. Though nothing groundbreaking, I think it's fair to say that it's worlds better than the Hotel Commonwealth.

I like it.

It's decent enough urbanism, but the pale purple-ish shade to those red bricks makes me feel like I'm looking at a patient whose vital signs are fading or nearly dead, and that IMO nicely illustrates the lack of design integrity behind so much going up these days.

It's decent enough urbanism, but the pale purple-ish shade to those red bricks makes me feel like I'm looking at a patient whose vital signs are fading or nearly dead, and that IMO nicely illustrates the lack of design integrity behind so much going up these days.

I don't get that criticism. The bricks don't look pale purple-ish. They're dark-toned bricks. I think it gives the appearance of more massing than it actually has. Doesn't look like it's dying to me.

Have you seen it in person? It looks like someone started with red bricks then took out any hint of orange-yellow out of its hue mix, leaving it with a blueish-purple sort of red, and I've noted this several times while standing there in person by now. I dunno, I just keep get images of someone's face going blue when I look at it (and no I'm not completely crazy).

Was walking down Brookline Ave this evening, and look what I was pleasantly surprised to see open already:

aZ9IH2l.jpg

PASEt1V.jpg

GkvY8c5.jpg

The downstairs bar/retail space isn't open yet, but the reception area is and apparently so is the rooftop deck/pool area (per an ad I saw out front for it). They have some sort of colorful canopies that look kind of neat from the street, but the photos would only do it justice in the daytime.

Back