Fenway Residence Inn (ACE Tickets) | 121 Brookline Ave | Fenway

Re: 121 Brookline Ave (ACE Tickets)

079-1_zpse0055071.jpg
090-2_zpscb3d3822.jpg

I'm very happy this is not entirely the tan precast color of the base. It fits in with the block nicely.

^agreed

Could just use a real cornice rather than a PoMo trellis.

Incredibly dull building.

It's a Marriott Residence Inn (or something similar). There is no incentive on anyone's part to make this an architecturally interesting building. Dull is precisely what was intended by all involved. Rather silly that anyone expected something more for this development.

Disagree with your last sentence. Even though they might have intended it to be dull why should we not be expecting better for a new building in a centrally located urban neighborhood?

Disagree with your last sentence. Even though they might have intended it to be dull why should we not be expecting better for a new building in a centrally located urban neighborhood?

Because it's silly to ask developers to spend a large amount of money to gain no benefits for anyone but architecture geeks?

Who said it would cost significantly more money? This building was certainly designed by an architect of some sort, which cost money. Smacks of sheer laziness.

Incredibly dull building.

As opposed to all the other dull buildings around it? Do the other buildings on Overland Street or any of the other streets there stand out? (Landmark Center and Fenway do not count). This is a neighborhood of utilitarian buildings. Yes, the buildings around here are old with some detail, but make no mistake, we are not talking about Columbus Indiana here. We are talking about a mostly swamp filled former warehouse and distribution center transformed.

For a down market brand like this a more ambitious design and thus higher construction budget probably would have sunk the project entirely.

Who said it would cost significantly more money? This building was certainly designed by an architect of some sort, which cost money. Smacks of sheer laziness.

The architect might make the same amount, but the reason the building is "boring" is because the materials and construction costs of "interesting" buildings would be significantly higher. That's what the term "value engineering" actually means...

Can't believe mediocrity is so vehemently defended on ArchBoston of all places. It's the Fenway, they could have been a little (read: much) more contemporary or at least fresh with their architecture. Recognize it for what it is, a steaming pile of mediocrity when the circumstances did not at all require it.

I don't think anyone is defending mediocrity, rather they are/I am acknowledging reality. Reality sometimes bites. Buck up.

I'll criticize mediocrity when I see it. There was no possible better outcome whatsoever considering the budget and intended use?

Back