Hamilton Co. Apartment Bldg | 1085 Boylston Street | Fenway

^^???

You do know that there will be sheetrock or drywall in these units, right?

Did the engineers get the memo that the threat of imminent nuclear destruction ended in the early 1990s? That is an awful lot of concrete for such a small development.

Pretty much all mainstream construction big & small in Europe is concrete. It's only the US that uses steel & wood frames. I've mentioned this before, but my professors in Berlin (practicing architects) didn't even know how to properly detail steel frames.

I remember the cast-in-place concrete buildings everywhere when I was in Greece. They had some amazingly rickety formwork nailed together out of what looked like scrap wood. Nothing like the formwork systems in use at the Filene's tower.

What seems unusual about this building is the way that the four corners appear far more substantial than strictly necessary for a building of its size.

Did the engineers get the memo that the threat of imminent nuclear destruction ended in the early 1990s? That is an awful lot of concrete for such a small development.

Did you get the memo that there's a crazy person running Russia who regularly likes to bring up his nuclear arsenal?

Of course, if a nuke were ever to hit Boston, nobody is going to give 2 f*cks about the Hamilton Co. Apartment Building.

Those apartments are going to have some amaaaazing noise isolation.

Considering that these apartments will likely be occupied by musicians (given its location), that's a nifty design feature.

15554266332_82eda3489c_b.jpg

Is this building assuming that the currently exposed sidewall is a party wall? I can't figure out the lack of windows and the quasi-light well otherwise.

I imagine concrete is being used for sound-proofing.

Musicians are noisy. There are several institutions of musical arts in the area... tenant-proofing is pretty smart in this regard.

Good infill. I wonder when the Parcel 12 project right next to this is going to get started, or if they'll work on the Parcel 15 piece first and do 12 after.

Musicians are noisy. There are several institutions of musical arts in the area... tenant-proofing is pretty smart in this regard.

Ahhhh...musicians are not the issue; the commuter rail and turnpike 20 feet from the rear of the building might be the reason for super-soundproofing....and therefore commanding higher rents.

Back