Innovation Square (iSQ) | 6 Tide St. | Seaport

Office parks (as conventionally known and designed) suck. Full stop. Better urban design is to respect the street wall (or at least try and create one) and have pocket parks.

The city with its varied uses of hotels and labs and office is already encroaching upon the industrial park...with any luck it will become fully part of the seaport eventually (while maintaining a diverse array of industrial uses). If and when that time comes it would be nice to have a dynamic and attractive streetscape.

It’s so wasteful what they are doing here… If you combined all of the square footage of that unusable green space on the perimeter, you could actually have a proper park for people to sit in and use, with the building next door.

Nothing about this building screams permanent structure. It's a cheap land bank that nobody will care about demolishing in 30 years should The Seaport ever truly expand that far.

Nothing about this building screams permanent structure. It's a cheap land bank that nobody will care about demolishing in 30 years should The Seaport ever truly expand that far.

Honestly, I'm fine with banal architecture here - it's a transition zone and the building is meant for innovation, so whatever they need to do to keep the costs down. But they still don't need the grass moat surrounding the building as is shown. That space could either contribute to a larger building or consolidated into a park. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, though, so I'll shut my trap.

Honestly, I'm fine with banal architecture here - it's a transition zone and the building is meant for innovation, so whatever they need to do to keep the costs down. But they still don't need the grass moat surrounding the building as is shown. That space could either contribute to a larger building or consolidated into a park. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, though, so I'll shut my trap.

I agree, startups need somewhere to go still. The seaport being built on top of parking lots means it doesnt really have any old offices kicking around, everything is brand new. If this can fill in the gaps for some lower rent space thats good.

I think the original was better, but it seems they did go cheaper. If it translates, cool, they can definitely tear it down if need be when the 20 story buildings push down here.

852HDR_Office_6_Tide_Street_email.jpg

Beeline -- nice pix as usual
I'm trying to remember -- Phase II was a clone of Phase I?

With the Millenium project [even downsized] and the massive old DOD building -- this is beginning to get enough mass together that its becoming a bonafide sub-core of the Seaport

Vertex is expanding into 256k sf here, leasing up the whole Phase II:

Another win for spec development:
Tim Logan said:
One reason Vertex wants to move to Innovation Square — and lease the entire second phase in one fell swoop — is because it’s further along than most other projects in the neighborhood, Leiden said, and on track to open in 2021.
“Its permitting is done. It’s already under construction. That saved us one to two years,” he said. “That one to two years was essential.”

Spec office with low parking ratios near transit - for a certain definition I think that counts as innovative

This site and the render look Cambridge's Binney Street. Being a life sciences hub and having more R&D space is great for the region, but I'm scratching my head about whether it's wise to saturate our Harborfront with too much of this development. I guess as long as Summer Street from D Street to Drydock Ave is flanked by hotel beds and restaurants on both sides, it doesn't really matter what else fills up in this area.

Spec office with low parking ratios near transit - for a certain definition I think that counts as innovative
Fitchburg -- Not really spec -- I'm sure the discussion with Vertex which must have begun some months ago and was just announced a month ago triggered the construction to begin

Vertex seems to have Fidelity-like power in Boston [via the Massachusetts Competitive Partnership] when guiding things rather rapidly to its benefit

JumboBuc
Nov 26, 2019

Vertex is expanding into 256k sf here, leasing up the whole Phase II:
www.bostonglobe.com

Vertex is planning a major expansion in the Seaport - The Boston Globe
The biotech company, which already has its headquarters in the neighborhood, is negotiating a lease for 256,000 square feet in a building under construction.
www.bostonglobe.com
www.bostonglobe.com

[MOD EDIT: Once again... stop quote-citing your tangents. Hyperlink in a manner similar to how I've fixed it or leave it out.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Back