Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

I like the iPad menus idea for the Mexican place.

I've been pushing for restaurants to adopt tablet or kiosk-style ordering (and service requests like refills) at tables for years now (doesn't harm the job market because waiters are still needed). Make it available in multiple languages and bang, all the language barriers associated with ordering food are broken.

Anyways, I drove by this the other day and I was stunned. The building is quite attractive and is going to be an excellent addition to the seaport. It's just too bad you have to navigate through Fallon's ugly jungle to get there.

The docks are a great addition. Many restaurants in Miami provide boat parking which can get quite popular.

I hate to say it (and as I grow older, maybe I should change my user name), Boston isn't perfect, but it's getting better. And Loberty Wharf is indicative of that.

The docks are a great addition. Many restaurants in Miami provide boat parking which can get quite popular.
Yeah, very well thought out.

You can take your boat to the CambridgeSide Galleria too. It's a very unique feature. Tourists love that fun fact.

Yeah, very well thought out.

You can take your boat to the CambridgeSide Galleria too. It's a very unique feature. Tourists love that fun fact.

I wonder if it has a water taxi hookup?

The water taxi people go to the BoA pavilion and world trade center, so might as well add the restaurants. The closest they get to galleria is north station.

http://www.citywatertaxi.com/taxi_stops.html

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8819.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_8825.jpg

This place was packed at 7pm, packed!
IMG_8826.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8828.jpg

Some side building, being used as a hiring center for the steakhouse, no idea what it will be in the future.

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_8832.jpg

The side building is going to be a bar with indoor and outdoor seating. Another tidbit, there isn't parking nearby for this building so the restaurant customers and even office tenants have their cars valet parked in a lot near WTC station.

I would bet these places are going to be pack when there are concerts next door. It might even be a great place to hear a concert for free, food and drinks excluded, from the outside spaces.

2011 best new development (probably only thing finished this year.)

^^ No doubt (on both points)

I wonder if the water taxis don't go to the Galleria because they'd require opening the Craigie drawbridge? I don't know if they are tall enough to need this.

(sorry for off-topic digression)

I wonder if the water taxis don't go to the Galleria because they'd require opening the Craigie drawbridge? I don't know if they are tall enough to need this.

(sorry for off-topic digression)

I don't think they are that tall, but wouldn't their be an issue with the locks on the newer river dam?

Great building. That's some nice bike parking on the side there too.

Much taller boats than the water taxis go through those locks routinely.

Much taller boats than the water taxis go through those locks routinely.

That's my point -- height shouldn't be an issue. But I'm not entirely familiar with how the locks are managed. Is it on a fixed schedule, or is it on an as needed basis? The taxis would need to be able to access the locks at any given moment. Is that an option?

Anyway, off topic, so I don't know that we really need an answer. But it is interesting that the Galleria is not a destination for them.

That's my point -- height shouldn't be an issue. But I'm not entirely familiar with how the locks are managed. Is it on a fixed schedule, or is it on an as needed basis? The taxis would need to be able to access the locks at any given moment. Is that an option?

Anyway, off topic, so I don't know that we really need an answer. But it is interesting that the Galleria is not a destination for them.

Not just the galleria, but even locations further upstream. How about across from the Cambridge Hyatt? That hotel offers no shuttle service to Logan, so Im sure some customers would love to take a water taxi to the airport.

Non sailboats can definitely pass through Craigie, but it's not worth it for the water taxi to run the route since it is really a long ride; just going to Charlestown from Logan is 2x the time than to go to the North End/Downtown (and if I recall, 2x the price).

Travel by boat is really slow (though rewarding, as it is the best way to experience Boston); I would guess it would be close to an hour from Logan to the Cambridge Hyatt including navigating the locks.

The locks are operated whenever boats arrive, though I'm note sure if it is manned all night. Equally impressive are the drawbridges for the north station rail tracks. Those are raised for boats also, but in deference to the train schedule...

Although the building does have a little bit more wood than I'd like, the contemporary design of it really impresses me and is pleasant on the eyes. This looks like a great mixed use development and I'm glad they are built something like this on the South Boston waterfront....hopefully it will become a hot spot and bring more people into that area

The sports bar is apparently doing very well, that warm day last I heard there was an hour wait to be seated.

I made it into Remy's last week and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Everything is new and tastefully done for a sports bar. Well laid out, nice view, plenty of light, great flat screens, comfortable seating and friendly and prompt service. The menu was varied and not overpriced, imo anyway. I had one of their burgers which is huge and they use fried dough of all things for the bread, but it worked. I noticed Legal's has their new sign up on their building which looks good. It's a big red sign with the letters placed vertically, but they have a lot of work to do inside before they can open. I would say that when all the restaurants are operating in this development, this place will be hopping. It will be especially nice to sit outside on a warm July evening at ground level or on the upper roofdeck bar to have a meal or a drink. This development is a big success.

Back