Logan Airport Capital Projects

Are they actually using those gates for it? E can technically accommodate an A380 on the existing gates if one additional one is blocked, IIRC.

Unknown. I don't see why they'd bring it if they weren't using a new gate. When I was there last week, it looked like the hold room was essentially done, just getting finishing touches.

Only two folks showed up to photograph EK237's arrival. When BA 239 head back on Monday we might have more folks out.

Boston is now an A380 city! We've been waiting for so long. And to think doubters said KBOS was too small for whale service.

M_xs687zxOQS8AQbphxevpKSEIhpVm-_FN1Z0S810JWk97LhujNtgjhWxH9PWG0p5T9e8_ZozKJmPmXoBZF-4qsXkq0VBzulm4tQVDXv8eBwdVpkMTtv7lT5N4a4ffGjwikfCbEAu7sRQZcmZWLrk32eWp2kLbVCM_5o9HDthnxNogbTkmM2c4dbCL1qHQHVt6kGVQHnKFlmtTDlVfPkP8M3yFu-2DYsOvFEarx-bcOrfGgiSvSHupteTaVEOr2Zw4wQZ83NzNyaYQpahV-Gr7vhjJ_HQTgecHzKnjMAwUMwZQAxIAH9fQzaNaqgRS1LD3qoIfOpqkeDa5I8w6jlNd_JuLi_Mw7CKv0ES09nWQZxx-QVl1O-uArqHyyNsl8m9y06Vg7zOPzE8l8Vbi1B7-Ix0Bp-yfahBYnNRwGnxqvyf_qIzGFujxo-2gIiKUiyRZjwog0jwtWQAqJGAuxWmv6of5pbxjHbqVtIlgjKSQLbFSQjxsuZkUr7t3ESMXDH5LwSZoePvM3QZfOcy1du6tooeZVuQSbAOUA38qc_6WhwMW2qSsJNc01gIE2KJ91uf5tfuUmcsYFMAdgNqmYQ5zzoYk7qaU21Ale4Uf6m2Ew8IEm-lplgjNW59rB7ZBHlXtomtexZGU-_EiiNBHxD7cDLCa2imYySziE42dl6IzY=w2561-h1213-no

New gate E12 with it's first full size revenue flight:

AQCYZqWd6aw-QtleWM3kWckgf0EzxTNuhMUvPSkxNSUm5zxw66zUzd_Qe58-L0Yn53RzFtkHaQbAUFiOaNvodU4-iFWmZELhZKBTS2pBvE1M1RAosGeeU0wlaSyXObYtZLHpLmh0Z3jr4s0QfhHZaPJIBvnB-bXIfyjDT2NXQHxlvZQBHOTA8KZVQ2s2MeNriGOb0xzuenp7GczEJ8asxl8XpJVSipacMHPj9vPdW_teua_B000ZRl8jx5tj51icQC24UfqzJ0i5VUF3j1pvh7rpCxirKnE5QDhmEO5fI_EarN1OfPpLOZs4RWugAlErcTB36QkjOC2Hb9GUGqkiBjbGbONiM__TgpQZKbumB5H9XSrZlydowKXlE7o_n3f8-Zx3lt89F55PUgMin-6O6YL1oMJVPVwJZjzk1o_y0RzJadvP08wGLJIHwbjUjgiggX01rIbql1dVLcC9hRfDES1LVttUcOVrGu8ZEqfl-dTWl8C2_1Ik2n2eSAQaTAofgO6mVr4KZHfn5dEVYMGo9rE4iXqVy0hCQlfBbsjTRkL72nRDAzkANw5DC3WtI-qK2JG3tWpSzNb-UahbEOWgdgTYAl1vXSk4dRlJ_wX0Nh8vUyOjMjQYXTThVWWg7PwC1unV2oZiTbUTiIRc08SQHY6xdptj3zHA3a7KHV87CSc=w2561-h869-no

A6-EUE

Last edited:
The level 3 gate hold area is open & operational. Japan Airlines was parked at E11.

Lounges are not yet open, but signs indicate the lounges are Lufthansa, Emirates & BA.

Taken this morning:
wlaMoTsh.jpg

Nice shot Data. Were you flying through today?

From the photo, that looks like a nice upgrade and a lot nicer than the rest of the terminal. I wonder if long term they could remodel the rest of E to match it?

Nice shot Data. Were you flying through today?

From the photo, that looks like a nice upgrade and a lot nicer than the rest of the terminal. I wonder if long term they could remodel the rest of E to match it?

The interior finishes of the existing E were redone to match as part of this contract, though if you're talking ceiling heights, then no, unfortunately those won't match due to things upstairs in the existing E.

On the previous page, I posted a pic of a renovated gate area (E9).

It is a very nice addition but so devoid of colors with the exception of browns, tans, some orange but I love the lighting. It looks nothing like the Massport renderings that were shown though I know you can't count on the renderings (which also showed glass jetways). The new Jet Blue gates C 8,9,10 are so much more beautiful with a variety of seating and the connecting E gates 1, 2, 3 are almost as nice. Data, your thoughts? How'd you like the new addition? And I agree with Mass88, the main holding area of E needs some major work.

Do they still have the flags up in the ticketing hall? That really mires an otherwise impressive space with some classic Boston chintz.

https://www.loungebuddy.com/BOS?filter_access=select&source=wdgt-www-loungebuddy

I had no idea Logan had these lounges. A bit expensive $39 but when you have to be at the airport a few hours before an international flight, a few drinks and some food almost pays for itself. Having said that, I just browsed some of the other lounges in a few other airports, London for example...holy cow, beautiful. How do the airline lounges at Logan rate? I've never been in any of the airline clubs.

Last edited:
It is a very nice addition but so devoid of colors with the exception of browns, tans, some orange but I love the lighting. It looks nothing like the Massport renderings that were shown though I know you can't count on the renderings (which also showed glass jetways). The new Jet Blue gates C 8,9,10 are so much more beautiful with a variety of seating and the connecting E gates 1, 2, 3 are almost as nice. Data, your thoughts? How'd you like the new addition? And I agree with Mass88, the main holding area of E needs some major work.

I really like the muted aesthetic. That's generally the design direction I take & appreciate personally. I like stainless & darker palettes. I think it looks chic without being too garish or introducing too many patterns/colors.

I will say that the renovated gate boarding/desk areas in the existing E are too dark.

The interior finishes of the existing E were redone to match as part of this contract, though if you're talking ceiling heights, then no, unfortunately those won't match due to things upstairs in the existing E.

On the previous page, I posted a pic of a renovated gate area (E9).

Should it be assumed the phase I 4 gate expansion will mirror this area in terms of styling and lighting?

Should it be assumed the phase I 4 gate expansion will mirror this area in terms of styling and lighting?

Unsure. Massport was really looking for an architect that makes a statement for the whole building, so it could be different, even though it *should* match for the sake of cohesion.

https://www.loungebuddy.com/BOS?filter_access=select&source=wdgt-www-loungebuddy

I had no idea Logan had these lounges. A bit expensive $39 but when you have to be at the airport a few hours before an international flight, a few drinks and some food almost pays for itself. Having said that, I just browsed some of the other lounges in a few other airports, London for example...holy cow, beautiful. How do the airline lounges at Logan rate? I've never been in any of the airline clubs.

The old lounges at Logan are pretty second rate (specifically Terminal E). They tend to be cramped, and are kind of claustrophobic interior spaces. I think that is why upgrading them with the expansion was a priority. Some of the international lounges, particularly the first class lounges, are just stunning. (You don't have to be flying first class to use the first class lounges, road warriors with high frequent flyer status also get access, even when flying in coach on international flights.)

When is phase I of the expansion slated to be complete? 2020? My question is, how invasive would it be for Massport to finish the 4 gate expansion by 2019 and then start to rebuild the existing gates to match everything? Higher ceilings, more windows, etc.

They arent worth $10.

The new area looks nice, but seems low on seating for 300 person jets.

Back