Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Bag checking at transit stations isn't unheard of. Hong Kong lets you check bags at several downtown stations before boarding the Airport Line (a limited-stop service on the regular rapid transit tracks).

The TSA is not going to allow someone to check bags at a Blue Line station.

The EA does state that the C to E connector will be completed in 2016, that of the five former Southwest gates, the two closest to E will be international gates, and the other three will be part of C. The inside security connector for the two orphan gates, 37 and 38, between C and B will be completed in 2017.

So they're gonna connect orphans with orphans? B37 B38 to C40 C41 C42?

The L1341 Renovation and Enhancements Enviro Report is a treasure trove of data -- I've been perusing it off and mostly on for the past 15 hours

There is much here which while unrelated to the Terminal E Renovation and Enhancements aka the A380 Project tells us a lot about what Massport Plans to do at Logan in the related time frame as the current project [circa 2015-2017]

https://www.massport.com/media/337677/TerminalE_EA_073015_signed.pdf

for example [as usual my highlights and comments [such as WOW are in Bold and I've separated some paragraphs into lists:

• on Airline operations of the Group VI aka A-380 Class
  • and here's a tidbit on the plans for the Terminal E West Concourse -- aka the Big One -- now known as the Terminal E Modernization Project

Thanks for posting this, the PDF has some great visuals. I wonder if they could take some of the surface lots in front of Terminal E and expand the terminal inward to open up even more space for retail, airline clubs and seating.

So they're gonna connect orphans with orphans? B37 B38 to C40 C41 C42?

37 and 38 get connected to Terminal B at the post security food court on Pier A.

Here is a link to a design that connects C40-42 to the main security checkpoint for C as part of the C_E connector project and expansion of post-security C between C's two main piers. See PPT slide at about pdf p. 20 in this document.

http://www.massport.com/capitalprog...255-C2Logan Term C Connectors Information.pdf

Thanks for posting this, the PDF has some great visuals. I wonder if they could take some of the surface lots in front of Terminal E and expand the terminal inward to open up even more space for retail, airline clubs and seating.

Yeah, it's an incredible file. Here are some selected pulls:

BIfpbVc.png

6gd0Nyi.png

WcLY2mx.png

YKONw1V.png

5UZHxoM.png

024RSsh.png

hDuRxXr.png

ui0ZsSG.png

Eyc6kL2.png

nAQSUq9.png

kRLWcmi.png

Not even if the airside security cordon can be extended to that checkin point?

Aside from pushing the security cordon outward, checking baggage at a Blue Line station is terribly inefficient. Passengers may be going to 10, 20, 30 different flights at four terminals, so one would need a bag transport van to run a loop on a to-be-determined frequency, dropping off bins of bags for each terminal, where the bags would be unloaded, and re-screened because the basic sequence is for conveyors at the check-in counters to take the bags to the screening machines.

Norwegian thinking of connecting Boston with out-of-the-way cities in Europe: Bergen and Stavanger, Norway; Gothenburg, Sweden; Aalborg, Denmark; Aberdeen, Scotland; Bremen, Germany; and Bilbao, Spain.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...5/10/norwegian_air_spreads_its_wings_at_logan

Seems that such pairings would rely on predominately connecting passengers at Logan, unless the fares are so cheap that, for example, one flies to Aalborg rather than Copenhagen, or Frankfurt, or Cologne, or Amsterdam.

Last edited:
^With all of these future routes on the wish list, I can't help but think of a potential JetBlue-Norwegian partnership that turns Boston into the most important LCC hub in the Western hemisphere. Geographically, at least, it makes perfect sense...

^With all of these future routes on the wish list, I can't help but think of a potential JetBlue-Norwegian partnership that turns Boston into the most important LCC hub in the Western hemisphere. Geographically, at least, it makes perfect sense...

Lexicon --
“Our idea is — especially when we get the Max in 2017 — setting up networks from most of the west coast of Europe to Boston,” Kjos said, referring to 100 fuel-efficient Boeing 737 MAX single-aisle planes that Norwegian has ordered

Jet Blue is one of two perfect matches to Norwegian in the low cost arena -- the other is Southwest

after the C=E connector is completed -- SW and JB should both be in Terminal C with Norwegian flying from the old Southwest Gates [new E1 (E1A), new E2 (E1B), new E3(E2)] being repurposed as International Gates for small planes as part of the Terminal E revamp with the new numbering of E1 through E12

Norwegian thinking of connecting Boston with out-of-the-way cities in Europe: Bergen and Stavanger, Norway; Gothenburg, Sweden; Aalborg, Denmark; Aberdeen, Scotland; Bremen, Germany; and Bilbao, Spain.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...5/10/norwegian_air_spreads_its_wings_at_logan

Seems that such pairings would rely on predominately connecting passengers at Logan, unless the fares are so cheap that, for example, one flies to Aalborg rather than Copenhagen, or Frankfurt, or Cologne, or Amsterdam.

I think you would see more Europe-originating passengers on many of these routes since Boston is the tourist destination in these cases.

Bilbao seems to be a stretch. I am surprised Porto or Funchal in Portugal is not on the list though. Shorter routes than the others and we have the ethnic links in New England.

According to how my computer is translating it, it looks to be a daily service. Of course take this with a grain of salt until we get an English source.

The SAS service to Copenhagen has been confirmed officially.
It will be a year-round daily nonstop on a 737 with 86 seats (20J 66Y config)

From Copenhagen: SK927 will depart daily at 12:50 arriving in Boston at 15:20.
From Boston: SK928 will depart daily at 17:30 arriving at 07.00 the following day.

http://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-introduces-new-daily-service-boston-copenhagen/

Is that a light enough configuration to make the westbound trip in strong headwinds? CPH-BOS is nearly 3700 miles, which is almost exactly 1000 miles further than BOS-SFO.

Is that a light enough configuration to make the westbound trip in strong headwinds? CPH-BOS is nearly 3700 miles, which is almost exactly 1000 miles further than BOS-SFO.

A SAS (Privat) 737-700 BBJ (which is what SAS proposes to fly) has a range of 5,000 NM. (That is the stated range when configured with 44 first class seats.)

The range above a 'normal' 737-700 is primarily a function of how many auxiliary fuel tanks it has, as long as fuel + passengers does not exceed MTOW. One advantage Boston has over JFK is that taxiing is apt to be short, and there aren't long conga lines, or much departure spacing after heavies because of wake turbulence.

Again referencing the A-Netters, the plane is being transferred from current service to New York (Newark). If it can make it there, it can make it... here.

I cannot believe what kind of a roll Logan has been on in the last 3 years:

JAL - Tokyo Narita
El Al - Tel Aviv
Cathay Pacific - Hong Kong
Hainan Airlines - Beijing and Shanghai
Turkish Airlines - Istanbul
WOW - Reykjavik
SAS - Copenhagen
Norwegian Air Shuttle - Copenhagen, Oslo, London Gatwick
Eurowings - Cologne/Bonn
Emirates - Dubai
Qatar Airways - Doha
Thomas Cook - Manchester
WestJet Encore - Halifax and Toronto Pearson
Copa Airlines - Panama City
Aeromexico - Mexico City

Plus all of the JetBlue expansion to Central America and the Caribbean.

Hopefully Massport can get Terminal E upgraded asap to handle all of this new service and make the experience connecting through E a positive one.

Back