Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Street-level is very evocative of areas of new development/re-development from my last trip to London (not a bad thing IMHO).

Shoppers Park is open. The steps are not though. Franklin St is still closed to traffic too.

mdfyaLwh.jpg

haqznZah.jpg

They should get rid of the sidewalks where washington st ends and make it a huge plaza of pavers, food stands, sellers, street performers, trees, benches....

I know its still a service road...just leave enough room for them to get through, but no need for sidewalks.

Mass -- its just sitting there waiting for someone to come along and take advantage of a terrific location -- for something -- But for what???

I've said this a dozen times before but I would love to see that space turned into a small live music venue/jazz club/restaurant/cocktail bar with seating for 300-500. Think a DTX "Beehive-style" establishment with better food, drink and music. Is there anything like that in that area?

Think a DTX "Beehive-style" establishment with better food, drink and music.

I'm with you on the concept, but don't you think the Beehive is expensive enough as it is? Is "better" going to mean $18 drinks instead of $13?

I'm with you on the concept, but don't you think the Beehive is expensive enough as it is? Is "better" going to mean $18 drinks instead of $13?

How about this: better value food and drinks. You can get a much better drink for the same $13 many other places in beantown, but, damn it would be cool to have more music venues like that.

Better isn't always more expensive. I've never been a fan of food at the Beehive. That doesn't mean I want a place that serves caviar and lobsters. Comfort/bar food done well does not need to necessarily be expensive. Regardless, the main attraction would be live music and I don't believe there are many, if any, live music venues that size in that part of town.

I've said this a dozen times before but I would love to see that space turned into a small live music venue/jazz club/restaurant/cocktail bar with seating for 300-500.

So that means, what--10,000 sf? 15,000 sf? That building is totally vacant, it's obvious--you never seen anyone entering or exiting over the years. And it's at least 4 stories. Assuming 15,000 sf per story, it's 60,000 sf, minimum. But probably more like 80,000 vacant sf.

The owner's been totally content letting that 80,000 sf sit vacant for years. What possible compulsion would they have to work hard to cultivate a tenant who would occupy a mere 20% of the space--and whose presence might in fact actively handicap efforts at renting the remaining 80% of the space?

Remember, the old B&N occupied the entire space--how easy was that, in comparison!

So that means, what--10,000 sf? 15,000 sf? That building is totally vacant, it's obvious--you never seen anyone entering or exiting over the years. And it's at least 4 stories. Assuming 15,000 sf per story, it's 60,000 sf, minimum. But probably more like 80,000 vacant sf.

The owner's been totally content letting that 80,000 sf sit vacant for years. What possible compulsion would they have to work hard to cultivate a tenant who would occupy a mere 20% of the space--and whose presence might in fact actively handicap efforts at renting the remaining 80% of the space?

Remember, the old B&N occupied the entire space--how easy was that, in comparison!

I am beginning to think we need a "blight surcharge" in property tax rates. Letting a prime location sit empty should be costly -- because it is a public nuisance and economic detriment to the neighborhood.

I am beginning to think we need a "blight surcharge" in property tax rates. Letting a prime location sit empty should be costly -- because it is a public nuisance and economic detriment to the neighborhood.

JeffDownTown -- Why is the answer for every problem a Tax???

There can be very legitimate reasons for why a property might sit vacant for a considerable period. For example you might have a Demoulas family-like feud concerning the future direction of a real estate portfolio perhaps after one member of the older generation has passed away. Alternatively, there might be something which was grandfathered under the previous tenant, but which needs to be remedied when a new tenant moves in. It's certainly not without question that there might be some previous deal on the taxes [Pru-like] making it essentially free to leave the building vacant while the real estate surrounding the site becomes more valuable. Without specific knowledge we can only speculate and meanwhile a prime piece of the DTX sits vacant.

By the way the site of the current mid-lux appartments on Rt-2 [Vox on 2] near Alewife sat vacant for years -- well actually vacant would be a kind description of the state to which the "Faces" club had deteriorated. Apparently, there had been family issues and then there were a whole host of clean-up issues -- so the property had to wait for the appropriate proposal and then -- Zip over about one weekend the old structure was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back